PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chances Revis Stays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Revis is a tough negotiator, he got the nickname Mevis for a reason. He will probably ask for top dollar but this stage in his career, I think he will accept a reasonable offer. I don't think he would accept what he considers a low ball offer just to continue playing for the Patriots. I think he will probably ask around 16m APY range and accept an offer in the 12-14m APY range that Miguel suggested.

Probably it will come down to how much he likes playing for the Patriots. Being sent home for being late must have been a shocker to him. Remember he played for Rex and professed an interest to rejoining the Jets prior to signing with the Pats. I think seeing how the Jets failed so miserably and how successful the Pats are, that may persuade him to sign a new deal here.

Revis is money driven. I can see a very small discount to stay here the most 10%. My guess is that he gets 5 years 60 mill with 20 mill up front. and each year at an 8 mill salary. Will Bill go for that/ I don't think so.

peterson, haden, Sherman all average about 14mill and are 4-5 years younger. So 16 mill is out of the question.

Last edited:
The thing about Revis I think a lot of people are missing because he is such an unusual player is Revis has supreme confidence in himself and his ability. What I mean by that is the deal he took in Tampa is the only one of it's kind I have ever seen. Pay me absolute top dollar but it does not have to be a long term commitment. There was no signing bonus no guaranteed money just pay me a million dollars a game. He did it again when he signed with NE pay me really well and I don't care about security because I can then go market my talent to whoever wants It. Reminds me a lot of Dion Sanders in that it would not surprise me if he plays for another team before he hangs them up. I expect the deal he signs to be shorter then everyone has been suggesting. I bet it's 2 years at 15 mil a year with very little signing bonus or guarantee money so that as soon as the pats are not willing to pay him top dollar he can find someone who is. Now because he likes it here and he likes winning there is a small discount cuz a team like TB would have to pay 16-17.

Revis is money driven. I can see a very small discount to stay here the most 10%. My guess is that he gets 5 years 60 mill with 20 mill up front. and each year at an 8 mill salary. Will Bill go for that/ I don't think so.

peterson, haden, Sherman all average about 14mill and are 4-5 years younger. So 16 mill is out of the question.

They may do a 6yr/$50m but I agree the $2om won't all be up front. I can see the first 3 years being @ $13m/yr in guarantees paid in installments and growing to obscene $ if performance incentives are met.

i was 50/50 like 3-4 weeks in....i am like 80/20 now he stays
I am hopeful the inner workings of the locker room have great appeal to Revis as does the opportunity to win over 10 games a season and be in Super Bowl contention year in year out sway his mind.

Some years ago I was skeptical of Revis and the need for over the top help. Having prolonged exposure to him, I'm happy to state that I was so so wrong on Revis. He is as good as Jets supporters used to state. I realized he was good but I didn't realize he was this good.

Revis has the opportunity to be a long term leader on what could be a special defense in the coming years. If that's not a huge carrot, then I don't know how he could ever be convinced that this is the right place for him.

Last edited:
A Super Bowl will greatly increase his chances of resigning, according to Breer

It's just every time I see Revis take the field for us, I can't help but be comforted by the fact that he's the best CB we have had since our last shutdown #24: Ty Law.

Revis is much better than Ty Law was. Mike Haynes is the better comparison. I've seen both play. Revis is better than Haynes as well, IMO. Only Deion Sanders rivals Revis in CB's I've seen over the last 50 years.

I think you gain an understanding of his mindset when you think about the fact that this was his first divisional title after eight years.

Revis is a tough negotiator, he got the nickname Mevis for a reason. He will probably ask for top dollar but this stage in his career, I think he will accept a reasonable offer. I don't think he would accept what he considers a low ball offer just to continue playing for the Patriots. I think he will probably ask around 16m APY range and accept an offer in the 12-14m APY range that Miguel suggested.

Probably it will come down to how much he likes playing for the Patriots. Being sent home for being late must have been a shocker to him. Remember he played for Rex and professed an interest to rejoining the Jets prior to signing with the Pats. I think seeing how the Jets failed so miserably and how successful the Pats are, that may persuade him to sign a new deal here.

no way he accepts a 12Mi apy deal, at this point that would be a lowball.

He can't reach FA in 2015 unless the Patriots decline the option. They have a few weeks after the season ends to reach a new deal.

I think the main goal will obviously be to hammer out an extension, with the worst case scenario meaning that they'd have to pay him the 20 million (with a 25m dollar cap hit) for picking up the 2nd year option. While they certainly don't want to pay that kind of money, I have to think it'd be seriously considered after everything that's occurred this season.

I can't imagine any scenario where they would allow him to reach free agency, knowing what a gamble that it could be.

Understanding that my opinion means absolutely nothing, I feel much more confident about him staying than I initially did several months ago.

He will stay, and will be compensated according to his level as one of the best CBs in the game

Other teams will offer more, but he will stay bc he will accept getting paid his value rather than more than his value

When would anyone get the chance to offer more? I don't see any scenario where Belichick allows Revis to hit free agency.

He's either going to work out an extension with him when the season concludes, or pick up the 2nd year option and bite the bullet at 20m dollars. At the end of the day, having him for 16m AAV over two years is still worth it, and it would give the 2 sides until February 2016 to reach a deal, should it come down to it.

Revis will know what he will get on the open market before that. He will know his market value by the Combine ends. Tampering happens all the time.

2 thoughts:

1) Revis already knows what he's worth, based on the contracts of Sherman, Haden, and Peterson. He made comments to Tom Curran last week stating that he doesn't need to be the highest paid player AAV-wise, as long as the contract offer is fair and in the ballpark of the other comparable players.

I don't think there's nearly the gray area that some are suggesting. The Patriots either decide to pay the money or they don't. This isn't a "Wes Welker" type of scenario where one guy says he's worth 2/12 and another says 6/50. This is pretty crystal clear (in my opinion), with the parameters already set.

2) By the time the combine hits on 2/17--2/23, the Patriots will have made their decision on whether or not they are picking up the 2nd year option. Belichick is not a moron. He knows what goes on at the combine, per your comments, and in all actuality, they may even be technically forced to make their decision by then.

According to Miguel it's a short period of time, and others have mentioned a couple/few weeks. Either way, I think it's safe to assume that Belichick won't allow it to get that far. Even if they are forced to pick up the second year, I think having Revis at 2/32 was fair, all things considered. It's hardly ideal or what anyone wants, but it's better than allowing him to hit free agency.

2 thoughts:

1) Revis already knows what he's worth, based on the contracts of Sherman, Haden, and Peterson. He made comments to Tom Curran last week stating that he doesn't need to be the highest paid player AAV-wise, as long as the contract offer is fair and in the ballpark of the other comparable players.

I don't think there's nearly the gray area that some are suggesting. The Patriots either decide to pay the money or they don't. This isn't a "Wes Welker" type of scenario where one guy says he's worth 2/12 and another says 6/50. This is pretty crystal clear (in my opinion), with the parameters already set.

2) By the time the combine hits on 2/17--2/23, the Patriots will have made their decision on whether or not they are picking up the 2nd year option. Belichick is not a moron. He knows what goes on at the combine, per your comments, and in all actuality, they may even be technically forced to make their decision by then.

According to Miguel it's a short period of time, and others have mentioned a couple/few weeks. Either way, I think it's safe to assume that Belichick won't allow it to get that far. Even if they are forced to pick up the second year, I think having Revis at 2/32 was fair, all things considered. It's hardly ideal or what anyone wants, but it's better than allowing him to hit free agency.
Rightfully so supa, the Patriots pay their guys. I would love to know who the douchebag was that trumpeted out the Patriots are cheap line.

If they want someone to stay or they see someone they really like, that player gets paid. It really is that simple.

The reason why I think he will be back is because everytime we get one of those locker room videos you can almost bank to see Kraft being with Revis in one of the scenes.

Most probably I am interpreting way too much into all of that but to me it looks like Kraft is always engaged with him and keeps on selling the team to him. Call me crazy but I think to a person like Revis who made all the money in the world already being respected counts a lot.

Except they are really far away in terms of money I don't think that our ways will part next season.

The issue with a future contract with Revis, won't be with Revis, but rather his uncle and former NFL player Sean Gilbert. Gilbert has hopes of becoming head of the players union, and he wants players to be paid top dollar as always.

If it was up to Revis, I think he'd rather stay here for 12-14 M and compete for titles every year, and be classified as the best CB in the game bar none, which he is, but Gilbert would rather Revis get paid $18-20M and go to a losing franchise like Oakland or Tampa. Its all about the $$$ with him.

Here's a story I found that happened back at 2010 that explains the influence Gilbert has on Revis...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...evis-could-make-things-even-more-interesting/

2 thoughts:

I am talking that he will know if there is a team willing to pay him stupid money like $18 million a year or something (just a hypothetical, not saying someone will pay him that). Of course, he knows the market, but he doesn't know if there is a team desperate enough to make a splash that they want to set a new bar to the market.

And I just used the Combines because that event is notorious for tampering with free agents. Teams will be tampering long before that.

Revis and Belichick will find a happy medium and he will be on board for another few seasons. Just seems like a match made in heaven

The issue with a future contract with Revis, won't be with Revis, but rather his uncle and former NFL player Sean Gilbert. Gilbert has hopes of becoming head of the players union, and he wants players to be paid top dollar as always.

If it was up to Revis, I think he'd rather stay here for 12-14 M and compete for titles every year, and be classified as the best CB in the game bar none, which he is, but Gilbert would rather Revis get paid $18-20M and go to a losing franchise like Oakland or Tampa. Its all about the $$$ with him.

Here's a story I found that happened back at 2010 that explains the influence Gilbert has on Revis...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...evis-could-make-things-even-more-interesting/

2010 was a loooog time ago. Times change. People change.

And i feel as if he wins a SB...he goes after the $$...they go to SB and lose..and i think he still want sto come back because where else will he go that has the $$ to take him to that trophy?

A Super Bowl will greatly increase his chances of resigning, according to Breer
At some point, he has to be considerate of his legacy, not just the $$. To be considered the GOAT DB, he need s a ring or more...He wasn't getting that in TB or with the Jets. If, if, If he gets one here and thinks the chances of a few more are better here than elsewhere maybe he crafts of those 6 year inflated deals that in actuality is a 3 year deal backloaded...He needs only to look around Canton and realize most of those guys ( Kelly, Marino, Cris Carter excepted) have rings and often more than one.....

yeah....I'm not sure how the pats give both revis and mccourty market value......you going to wrap up 20M/yr for the 2 of them? forget ayers, dump solder, dump mayo

ayers, ridley, vereen, solder, gostkowski, develin, branch, bolden, casillas...they all going to take below market deals so that mccourty can get his?

I'd love it if it can happen, but every unit has a budget

I want to see them make it work and keep both of them if they can. I'd be perfectly fine with them losing Nate Solder at this point because hes a serviceable left tackle but not a great one and shouldn't be paid top money to play the position when he isn't a top talent.

I want to see them restructure Mayo's deal, he should be open to that seeings how he's been taking some serious coin from them for 2 years being in rehab and the ice tub... Hes a great middle linebacker and if they can restructure his deal they can lower his salary cap hit and keep arguably the best linebacking core in the NFL together for a few more years.

I could care less if Ridley leaves.. hes good, but is not vital to their success. RB is one of the most easy positions to replace unless you have one of those rare talents like Marshawn Lynch, Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte or Jamaal Charles.. but Ridley isn't even close to one of those guys.

I'd like to see them keep Vereen, and I just can't imagine him being able to get a whole lot out of free agency... his stats have been pretty average at best and he was injured for 3 straight years in a row.. what team is going to break the bank on him? He'll probably get Danny Woodhead type money, and I'd be ok with that because hes built better than Woodhead and younger.

Develin won't command a lot, hes a fullback which is a very under-utilized position in the NFL these days so its just a matter of him wanting to stay or not.

Bolden will be gone, hes a JAG and can very easily be replaced.

Branch I don't see getting a ton of money.. they picked him up off the scrap heap mid season and hes been playing well, but not well enough to demand crazy money.

Casillas has been playing well, but not top money well

Ayers has been performing as well, but I can't see him breaking the bank either.

They could structure a lot of these deals so that the bigger hits come in a few years when Wilfork will be off the books. They can't keep everyone, but I'd rather have McCourty over Ayers + Casillas + Branch combined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes