PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chances Maroney has a big year in 2009?

Re: Chances Maroney has a Big Year in 2009

I think he loses alot of touches to Fred Taylor personally. Barring injury, I think Taylor and Faulk get most of the touches with Maroney and Morris picking up the scraps.

Maroney will be fine, if his shoulder heals.. will he have a big year?? Tough to do particularly as it looks like it will be RB by committee, BB knows this is a marathon and would prefer some fresh legs in Jan/Feb rather than seeing him gain 1500 yards..

Hangnails. Hangnails? En serio? Do you have any concept what kind of beating these players take game to game? Do you understand the sacrifice these players make each season? Have you ever played a meaningful down of football while hurt? Sometimes you can't play through an injury and be successful. See, if you had played a down, you would understand a concept known as hurt vs injured. If you are hurt, you are in pain but can play. If you are injured, you are in the same, or even less pain but cannot play. Maroney was injured, not hurt. Because of the nature of his ding, he couldn't play effectively. Accordingly, his being on the roster while ineffective was detrimental to the team.

He doesn't suck, he's not soft, and once he learns the nuances of the position, he will be a highly effective back.
Ian just has to bring "rep" back! +1

I'm surprised Morris doesn't get more love. That guy is a heck of a RB. Great vision, hits the holes hard and runs north/south with just enough wiggle to be elusive when he needs to be.

Whereas Maroney is always described with the word "potential", Morris is everything we'd want Maroney to be.

The way I see it, Morris is #1 on the depth chart with Taylor a close 1B to keep keep them both fresh. Maroney is a nice insurance policy as the other guys are getting up there in age and may struggle with durability. However, if BJGE impresses in camp, I wouldn't be at all surprised if BB sends Maroney packing (hopefully through a trade), especially if he's carrying a high cap #. KC and Denver might give us a decent pick for him.

Having said all that, I'm hoping to keep him b/c we always have injury issues and need to stockpile whatever depth we can.

Unless he becomes the clear cut #1 running back, I highly doubt he'll come anywhere near 800 yards rushing. The Patriots used a committee of backs last year and Sammy Morris was the only one to reach even 700 yards. When you factor in that Fred Taylor is going to get a good amount of carries in addition to Morris & Faulk, you have to think that Maroney will be lucky to get to 500 yards.

This thread is loaded with irrationality. First of all, the whole backfield is made of glass, not just Maroney. It's been like that since Dillon's great 2004. The three favorites on here are all 32 or older. Morris has missed almost as many games in the last two years as Maroney. When Morris went down in 2007, Maroney took the lead. They switched roles for 2008. Jones-Drew was far better than Taylor behind the same patchwork line. Taylor is mearly Jordan's replacement. Faulk is great compliment to the passing game.

Maroney doesn't even need to improve and he could easily be the best back we have. In 2007, two seasons ago, he scored 6 TDs, 825 Yards at a 4.5 average. He wasn't exactly healthy either. I don't think it's a huge leap to see him equal that. His ceiling would be 1050yds, 7TDs, 25 catches for 225 and 1TD.

This thread is loaded with irrationality. First of all, the whole backfield is made of glass, not just Maroney. It's been like that since Dillon's great 2004. The three favorites on here are all 32 or older. Morris has missed almost as many games in the last two years as Maroney. When Morris went down in 2007, Maroney took the lead. They switched roles for 2008. Jones-Drew was far better than Taylor behind the same patchwork line. Taylor is mearly Jordan's replacement. Faulk is great compliment to the passing game.

Maroney doesn't even need to improve and he could easily be the best back we have. In 2007, two seasons ago, he scored 6 TDs, 825 Yards at a 4.5 average. He wasn't exactly healthy either. I don't think it's a huge leap to see him equal that. His ceiling would be 1050yds, 7TDs, 25 catches for 225 and 1TD.

Morris has actually missed exactly as many games (counting postseason) as Maroney has in the last two years. There's a lot of people here, though, that just need a scapegoat for some reason, and Maroney and Watson are most convenient now that Chad Jackson is gone.

Last edited:

Ian just has to bring "rep" back! +1

Double from me. Of course after Dillon shortening his career to win a few games and Seymour playing with 3 or 4 real injuries at once and still getting dissed by some of the Rhodes scholar trolls, I guess I just consider the source and ignore it. It's football, people get injured.

I might be in the minority, but I think Pats running back Laurence Maroney might be able to have a big year in 2009.

Yeah, I know the backfield is crowded. I know Maroney's injury problems and dancing tendencies. However, no one on this board can deny that he's got natural talent, acceleration, speed, power, and size.

We didn't get to see much of him in 2008, mostly due a broken bone in his shoulder. However, he still is only 18 months removed from the greatest stretch of his career and still is only 24 years old.

I'm just saying I wouldn't count Lomo out so quick and I wouldn't be surprised if Maroney is the starting back come September and if he has his best season as a pro.

What do you guys think the chances of this are?

Depends on his shoulder being 100%. If not, then he might stick as a KO returner or he'll get cut. Acquiring Taylor meant that the team is no longer counting on Laurence.

Without him, the Pats rushing attack was still a strong spot in 2008. RB by committee is the new trend sweeping the NFL. IMO, Taylor will be an improvement over Jordan.

IMO, Taylor will be an improvement over Jordan.

I agree as far as total yards goes, but they are two different backs. Jordan worked the short yardage situation much better then anyone we had last year or this year. Who's going to push the pile this year? Even Evans is gone who was always getting first downs for us.

I give him a 2% chance. He's not fast at all, he's just all power.

• Maroney's Career = 388 att, 1673 yds, 4.3 ypc, 12 TD
  • Michael Turner 2008 = 376 att, 1699 yds, 4.5 ypc, 17 TD (All-Pro 1st Team, Tied for 2nd in MVP voting)
  • Maroney w/ >12 Carries (inc. Playoffs) = 21 G, 358 att, 1650 yds, 4.6 ypc, 12 TD
  • Maroney w/ >12 Carries (just Playoffs) = 4 G, 79 att, 349 yds, 4.4 ypc, 3 TD
  • Maroney will be 24 when the 2009 season kicks off
  • So will Shonn Greene (2009 3rd round pick for the Jets)

I know you can manipulate stats to say just about anything, but I think you are foolish if you can look at the points above and dismiss Maroney in 2009.

I agree as far as total yards goes, but they are two different backs. Jordan worked the short yardage situation much better then anyone we had last year or this year. Who's going to push the pile this year? Even Evans is gone who was always getting first downs for us.

Good point.

I would guess that Morris will take over that role.

Moreover, KC Joyner (sabermetrics) has stated that the Pats had the best run-blocking OL in the league, in 2008.

Last edited:

Acquiring Taylor meant that the team is no longer counting on Laurence.

I think theres about a 10% chance that Fred Taylor and his 3.9 ypc, at this point in his career, is a better runningback than Sammy Morris or a healthy Maroney.

I wouldn't be all that surprised if he ends up at the short end.

I wouldn't put too much (negative) emphasis on Fred Taylor for what he did or did not do in 2008. The Jaguars offensive line was a wreck last year. Their starting tackle was shot, both guards went on IR in the first game, and their starting center missed half the season. There's no way you could expect decent stats from a running back who is missing 80% of his offensive line.

I give him a 10% chance of getting over a thousand yards. To me that is usually the minimimum definition of 'good' season at running back.

Mostly because of the running back by committee arrangement. Mostly...

I predict for him about 6-700 yards. And similiar numbers from some of the other running backs as well.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Back