Welcome to PatsFans.com

Challenges in Fighting a Global Insurgency

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Sep 4, 2006.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

This article is published in a magazine from the US Army War college Ft Carlisle.

This is not from a commercial publication but froma goverment pub. SO the 4 paragraph rule wouldn't apply.

The author is David Barno.

http://www.carlisle.army.mil/USAWC/parameters/06summer/barno.htm

Continued below
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  2. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

Part 3 below
  3. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

Sorry for the length lot of info here.
  4. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

Neeed 1 more sorry.
  5. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

If you've gotten this far thanks for reading and considering this information.

6. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Looks inviting...thanks
  7. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

Calling a lecturer at the Army's War college and a person who fought the WOT in Afganistan a moron seems a bit harsh don't you think NEM. :p

BTW NEM any comments on the author's perspective on the WOT?
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Sounds like the guy wakes up in the morning, thinks about new ways to think about war, takes a shower, puts on his cammos, paints his face green and black, gets into his olive drab Hummer, and drives to work at the "War College" while listening to Wagner's "Flight of the Valkyries".

While very well written, the peice gives no solutions that are useful and never identifies the endpoint - probably because there is none and he doesn't want one. Imagine...war forever!
  9. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

He is pointing out the need for new solutions, this is a thoughtful piece about problems facing the military. I also found the parts fo the article concerning the propanganda war used by the terrorist interesting. I think it should be required reading by the members of the media. Perhaps they might give some thought and not so willing to be manipulated by the Islamist. Then again perhaps they don't care so long as they advance their agenda.

So youdon't think anyone should think about how to defend this country..sorry I forgot you don't believe their is a war on terror.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  10. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

Really??? LOL I'm shocked!

You don't like him that is fine. Any comments on specific points or are rational argument to be dismissed if the person is someone you don't like?

Thanks for the link.

you never commented onthe content of the article? All you ripped is your assertation that he has Rummy's ear. Given the content of this article I hope he does have Rummy's ear. He has a good take on the differences between the type of war we are engaged in now and the difference with past wars.

Rummy has a lot of opposition within the military establishment for wanting to change the focus from the cold war military structure to the type of military he feels is needed for the current war. An example is the fight the administration had when they wanto the cancel the Crusader missle system, and deemphasing main battle tanks like the M1 in favor of systems like the Stryker.
  11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Everyone has an agenda and those who have access to the media use it to the hilt. Bush does it, terrorists do it, the Red Sox do it. The article was well done for what it was worth. I just don't need to be told that the powers that be use the media for dissemination of propaganda.

And why don't you try a response without putting words in my mouth...it onlt makes your weak case weaker. I never suggested anyone should think about defending this country. I wish someone would who has the ability to do so. I don't believe there is a war on terror. That has nothing to do with whether or not we should be engaging in protection our country from terrorists. You call it a war on terror only because the government tells you they are involved in one. I can't help it if you've OD'd on Koolaid.
  12. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

How do you claim a war on a tactic (terrorism)? Isn't it more appropriate to claim a war on Islamic fundamentalism?
  13. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

What words did I put in your mouth?

You response started by a scarcastic remark about what you suppose the author is doing each day. I took the remark to be disdainful about those who do what the author do.

You also made the outrageous comment that there is no WOT. That is amazing given that our enemies are quite open about and their intentions towards this country.