PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Challenge for all the Jets fans here

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyFTW!

Goodell sucks
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Name 5 quarterbacks who, after having a rookie year as bad as Sanchez's, went on to become top-tier QBs. Peyton Manning doesn't count, since he was put on an atrocious team where success was virtually impossible, and definitely didn't have the #1 defense and #1 running game in the league making his job as easy as it could possibly be.

Go ahead and use Troy Aikman, though, even though it's never a good sign when you have to go back 20+ years to find a valid comparable. Keep in mind that whoever you pick, you're going to have to explain how they're a valid comp, because we'll be ready to explain why they're not.

Bottom line, I don't think Jets fans generally realize how bad Sanchez was last year, and what history suggests that means for his career going forward.

Last edited:
tumbleweed.jpg

Gollum had a great rookie season, so he doesn't count.

WTF? I posted and edited that within five seconds. It was meant to be a tumbleweed but I had posted a pic of Gollum earlier in the day in response to what someone said about Myra Kraft. Whoops.

WTF? I posted and edited that within five seconds. It was meant to be a tumbleweed but I had posted a pic of Gollum earlier in the day in response to what someone said about Myra Kraft. Whoops.

Hahaha right on. Definitely not anticipating a lot of responses here, Jets fans tend to get really quiet when they actually have to explain themselves.

Last edited:
Challenge to all Jet fans!!!!...spell THIS --------------->

cat.jpg

that oughtta keep 'em busy til midseason at least...

Sanchez had the No. 1 running game in the NFL and he didn't win one game when the opponents scored more than 17 points. Josh Freeman and Matt Stafford both accomplished this last year with no running game with less starts. I wonder what Sanchez QB rating would have been if he was playing for the Lions ?

I know we have not seen much of him but I'm convinced that if Brian Hoyer started for the Jets last year no way he throws 20 picks.

You can't. It's a trick question.

However, I will say this. 15 of his 20 INT's came in 4 games. Contradicting the popular belief around here, he was not consistently horrible the whole year. Just very streaky. That is to be expected from an inexperienced ROOKIE quarterback. Take Henne on the other hand, who had 35+ college starts, 2 full training camps, and over a year to learn from one of the smartest QB's in the league. Henne was clearly better in 2009, but his performance did not blow Sanchez's away. Anyway, I'm getting off topic.

Sanchez has shown great potential, and had his best game of the season on the biggest stage. It was in defeat, but not many teams have been able to beat Indianapolis recently.

He is a charismatic leader and is extremely talented. All that's missing is the experience. You can quote me on this. He will be an upper echelon QB in good time.

Meltedcheese....0 for the 2nd half against Indy...turdtacular

Jet fan..."his BEST GAME OF THE YEAR!!!!! NOW HE'LL BE A LEGEND!!!!"

you got a better chance of seeing Ducks Throwington toss frozen ropes than "Babysteps" Mark Mediocre leading anybody anywhere...except leading cheers

Sanchez is only one of the big questions on the Jets...

But if he doesn't get off the color coded plays....the Jets are a .500 team

Cry,Gutless...cryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.....

crying-girl02.jpg

Last edited:

However, I will say this. 15 of his 20 INT's came in 4 games. Contradicting the popular belief around here, he was not consistently horrible the whole year. Just very streaky. That is to be expected from an inexperienced ROOKIE quarterback. Take Henne on the other hand, who had 35+ college starts, 2 full training camps, and over a year to learn from one of the smartest QB's in the league. Henne was clearly better in 2009, but his performance did not blow Sanchez's away. Anyway, I'm getting off topic.

Sanchez has shown great potential, and had his best game of the season on the biggest stage. It was in defeat, but not many teams have been able to beat Indianapolis recently.

He is a charismatic leader and is extremely talented. All that's missing is the experience. You can quote me on this. He will be an upper echelon QB in good time.
The question seems pretty straight forward to me.

The question seems pretty straight forward to me.

"Name 5 quarterbacks who, after having a rookie year as bad as Sanchez's, went on to become top-tier QBs."

I don't think there are 5. I was responding to the misconception that Sanchez was abysmal for all of last year. He was merely very, very, very streaky.

Not a trick question at all; just a simple observation. As for the bulk of the picks coming in only 4 of his starts, I'm not sure how that mitigates the point. Those were starts where the Jets actually needed him to show something in order to win the game, and he failed to in extreme fashion. Spin it however you'd like, but 20 picks in 15 games and a 63 rating speaks for itself. In fact, I could pretty compellingly argue that his stats would have been significantly worse if he had been thrust into the situation that top-5 QB picks are usually thrust into: he lucked out in going to the Jets, where, once his obvious deficiencies became evident, they were able to simply take the ball out of his hands. Meanwhile, other rookie QBs, such as Freeman and Stafford, showed more with less talent around them.

This is progress, though: at least you acknowledge that there are no recent examples where a QB went on to be exceptional after starting off so poorly. I guess where we differ is in your insistence that Sanchez is different than all the other QBs that came before him. A bit homerific, but hey, what's the point of being a fan if you can't be?

BTW, I'm not at all impressed with Henne either, so that comparison doesn't really do much for me. Henne hasn't done anything to indicate that he'll be a better-than-average NFL starter.

Last edited:
You're are going to absolutely hate him once the Jets can't run the football. After watching all of his only season at USC, the biggest flaw in his game is that he hates getting blitzed. His stats were inflated because the Trojans beat up on really bad teams. But when games were close and teams would blitz him, he freaked out and 99.9% of the time he would throw the football away. He will be a bust.

20 picks in 15 games and a 63 rating... 'streaky' is a little generous, I'd say. Ahh well, at least you acknowledge that there are no recent examples where a QB went on to be exceptional after starting off so poorly. I guess where we differ is in your insistence that Sanchez is different than all the other QBs that came before him. A bit homerific, but hey, what's the point of being a fan if you can't be?

BTW, I'm not at all impressed with Henne either, so that comparison doesn't really do much for me. Henne hasn't done anything to indicate that he'll be a better-than-average NFL starter.
In a way, it is homerific. Then again, no QB that left school as a junior has ever had great success in the NFL. I think Stafford and Sanchez will both change that. There always has to be a first.

Streaky is a bit generous. He was very below average. But streaky implies that he showed potential and great talent, which he did. Just look at the 2nd Pats game. He throws 4 picks, but he had that one great throw to Cotchery deep down the right sideline, into the windy end zone. Not many QB's can make that throw in the league.

You're are going to absolutely hate him once the Jets can't run the football. After watching all of his only season at USC, the biggest flaw in his game is that he hates getting blitzed. His stats were inflated because the Trojans beat up on really bad teams. But when games were close and teams would blitz him, he freaked out and 99.9% of the time he would throw the football away. He will be a bust.

It's a good thing they still will be able to run the football. Ferguson, Mangold, Moore, Ducasse aren't going anywhere. Woody is still extremely good in the run game, but is older. And Shonn Greene is the real deal. Anyway, the Jets should still be a good running team for the next two seasons. This should give Sanchez more than enough time to develop into an upper-echelon QB.

Now onto your next point, him hating being blitzed. Please watch the AFC Championship game again. Dwight Freeney was running at him in a straight line and he threw a pump fake at him to buy time, then hit Edwards down the left sideline on a perfect bomb. 80 yard touchdown. His second touchdown was just as impressive. He knew he was going to get drilled, but he hung in the pocket to throw another perfect pass, this time to Dustin Keller.

Name 5 quarterbacks who, after having a rookie year as bad as Sanchez's, went on to become top-tier QBs. Peyton Manning doesn't count, since he was put on an atrocious team where success was virtually impossible, and definitely didn't have the #1 defense and #1 running game in the league making his job as easy as it could possibly be.

Go ahead and use Troy Aikman, though, even though it's never a good sign when you have to go back 20+ years to find a valid comparable. Keep in mind that whoever you pick, you're going to have to explain how they're a valid comp, because we'll be ready to explain why they're not.

Bottom line, I don't think Jets fans generally realize how bad Sanchez was last year, and what history suggests that means for his career going forward.

Jets fans should be hoping for an Eli Manning sort of development out of Sanchez. His first "season" was only half a season as he came in for Warner, but he was worse than Sanchez.

Yup, as you may note from our profiles, HEY BRO and I both live in California (I live in LA)- we've seen plenty of Mark Sanchez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing