PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chadiha: Vollmer a rising star

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vollmer is a great success story. A lot of people had doubts about the Pats picking him in round 2 but now if they had the draft to do over again, I have no doubt he'd be a top 10 pick. I can't think of 10 players better than Vollmer out of that draft..

What are his attributes? Massive wingspan, tall, strong, and has the quick feet of an LT but the rare ability to flip over to RT. With his huge reach, ability to slide-mirror, and great technique, it becomes a really, really tough task to try to 'run the arc' around Seabass. He has swallowed up many a defender and made them look like they didn't exist. In the run game he is equally delightful, springing key blocks and using his size, strength, and technique to his advantage to either run defenders out of the play or drive them into the ground.

Seabass is everything you want in a Patriots OL and his ability to flip tackle positions at need gives the Pats added versatility in case of injury. There's not a bad thing to say about this guy except I wish there were two of him. Perhaps that's why the Pats drafted Nate Solder. They were pumped about the idea of having two OTs as dominant as this guy. :)

Vollmer is a great success story. A lot of people had doubts about the Pats picking him in round 2 but now if they had the draft to do over again, I have no doubt he'd be a top 10 pick. I can't think of 10 players better than Vollmer out of that draft..

What are his attributes? Massive wingspan, tall, strong, and has the quick feet of an LT but the rare ability to flip over to RT. With his huge reach, ability to slide-mirror, and great technique, it becomes a really, really tough task to try to 'run the arc' around Seabass. He has swallowed up many a defender and made them look like they didn't exist. In the run game he is equally delightful, springing key blocks and using his size, strength, and technique to his advantage to either run defenders out of the play or drive them into the ground.

Seabass is everything you want in a Patriots OL and his ability to flip tackle positions at need gives the Pats added versatility in case of injury. There's not a bad thing to say about this guy except I wish there were two of him. Perhaps that's why the Pats drafted Nate Solder. They were pumped about the idea of having two OTs as dominant as this guy. :)

I think Vollmer would go in the top 5, considering their aren't that many great LT's out there. Obviously he's spent most of his career so far with us at RT, but he's shone at LT.

I think if people re-did that '09 Draft, Stafford still goes #1, but both Oher (who is a little over-rated IMVHO) and Vollmer go after that. Oher to St Louis, Vollmer to Seattle.

Can't wait to see Solder get on the field. He must work as hard as Seabass has though.

I think Vollmer would go in the top 5, considering their aren't that many great LT's out there. Obviously he's spent most of his career so far with us at RT, but he's shone at LT.

I think if people re-did that '09 Draft, Stafford still goes #1, but both Oher (who is a little over-rated IMVHO) and Vollmer go after that. Oher to St Louis, Vollmer to Seattle.

Can't wait to see Solder get on the field. He must work as hard as Seabass has though.

Here's a link to a "re-draft", I've seen it posted here before, this one has Vollmer going 8th overall.

Turning back time with annual NFL re-draft | NFL News Tracker | FanNation.com

Here are his first 10 choices.
1. DET: OT Michael Oher
2. STL: QB Matthew Stafford
3. KC: WR-KR Percy Harvin
4. SEA: LB Brian Cushing
5. NYJ: QB Mark Sanchez
6. CIN: OT Phil Loadholt
7. OAK: WR Michael Crabtree
8. JAX: OT Sebastian Vollmer
9. GB: LB Clay Matthews Jr.
10: SF: WR Jeremy Maclin

The only person picking Phil Loadholt over Sebastian Vollmer is either Loadholt himself, or his mother.

Here's Mel Kipers grade for the Pats after the draft in which they selected Sea Bass. Would you have Mel as your team's GM???

"New England Patriots: GRADE: B+
You have to give the Patriots credit for acquiring even more picks for next year's draft. Safety Patrick Chung, defensive tackle Ron Brace and cornerback Darius Butler were all good selections in the second round, although offensive tackle Sebastian Vollmer was a reach. Wide receiver Brandon Tate was a decent third-round pick and I really like the sixth-round selection of Jacob Ingram, the best long snapper in the draft."

I'd rather have Mel Gibson.

Here's Mel Kipers grade for the Pats after the draft in which they selected Sea Bass. Would you have Mel as your team's GM???

You have to give the Patriots credit for acquiring even more picks for next year's draft. Safety Patrick Chung, defensive tackle Ron Brace and cornerback Darius Butler were all good selections in the second round, although offensive tackle Sebastian Vollmer was a reach. Wide receiver Brandon Tate was a decent third-round pick and I really like the sixth-round selection of Jacob Ingram, the best long snapper in the draft."

Chung and Vollmer alone deserve an A for that draft.

When you get a 2nd team all-pro and a very good starter in their second seasons the rest of the draft doesn't matter as much. It's too bad Butler just doesn't seem to have 'it'.

Last edited:

He was a reach at the time, all that means is that most people had him rated lower. If Brady was picked in the 2nd round, We would of called that a reach as well, not because he would never be better then a 2nd round caliber qb, but because we prb could of waited till say...oh the 6th round or so.

But as everyone knows it only takes one other team to pull the trigger on the guy you want. So call it a reach, as long as he's a "Player" who cares.

Here's a link to a "re-draft", I've seen it posted here before, this one has Vollmer going 8th overall.

3)...Which GM would spend the 3rd pick on a guy that misses games with migraines
5)...50% passer?
7) I guess there are always teams that draft WRs early in the 1st rd...WRs that touch the ball 4 times a game. Those teams often get to draft early the next year as well.

Hmmn...

Volmer becomes a pro-bowler in his second season. His second round equal down Joisey way, Vladimir Discusser, didn't play as a rookie with the job handed to him, with the release of Faneca. :eek:

He was officially demoted to reserve already, by Wrecks to a 4th year UDFA at RT, to the wide open position vacated by Woody.:eek:

Another fine pick of the Jetski's Brain Drain [in]famous Tannenbalmy crew. :p

Solder, if he works out, is going to be a franchise LT that they will lock up long term, SeaBass easily has the talent to be a franchise LT, how do we afford to keep both of them?

Solder, if he works out, is going to be a franchise LT that they will lock up long term, SeaBass easily has the talent to be a franchise LT, how do we afford to keep both of them?

We don't, we pay one, and, we draft another one to step in.

I've always loved the kid. I wonder why he gets no respect in the Madden games.:rolleyes:

3)...Which GM would spend the 3rd pick on a guy that misses games with migraines
5)...50% passer?
7) I guess there are always teams that draft WRs early in the 1st rd...WRs that touch the ball 4 times a game. Those teams often get to draft early the next year as well.

The Jets have the tradition. They have the only HOF QB whose pass completion percentage barely exceeded 50%; and has the wonderful distinction of being the only HOF QB who threw more INTs than TDs.:rolleyes:

We don't, we pay one, and, we draft another one to step in.

I don´t think so.
We paid Kaczur ( a RT-turnstile and a prevented RG) 3 millions for nothing. He was, clearly, outplayed by Vollmer.
Solder have to prove, that he´s competitive in the NFL.
And i don´t think, that Vollmer will be greedy.

That top 10 is straight up nuts. Michael Oher is at best an average tackle. I guess that's what a movie will do for you. The hype he had around 2009 when this list was compiled was pretty out of control, I guess. Still, B. Orakpo and J. Byrd should be somewhere in there.

Let's give it another try with what we know today:

1. DET: Matt Stafford (If you need a QB, you get it)
2. STL: Mark Sanchez (J. Smith has been a major bust so far. Drafted Bradford next year)
3. KC: Clay Matthews (T. Jackson hasn't been so hot. Matthews reputation precedes him)
4. SEA: Sebastian Vollmer (Best tackle in the class. They drafted Okung next year)
5. CLE/NYJ: Josh Freeman (Most productive QB from this class so far)
6 CIN: Brian Orakpo (Consistent need at DE. 19.5 sacks in first two seasons)
7. OAK: Brian Cushing (DROY. Oak drafted a LB next year)
8. JAX: BJ Raji (Speaks to how strong GB's first round was that year)
9. GB: Malcolm Jenkins (BPA)
10. SF: Jeremy Maclin (Best WR from this class so far. Not as much of a headcase/injury risk as Crabtree)

That was fun. Anybody else??

Last edited:
Really like Vollmer. I think he's so good at RT, there's no need to move him. He could be a very good LT, but why mess with a good thing? Especially since you have the combo of Light/Solder.

Matthews is the only clearly better player from that draft, but he's still the most overrated player in the NFL.

I find it interesting that both of our monster tackles are both really tall as well as being athletic enough to have started as TE's earlier in their careers. Imagine how opposing defenses might react to a Patriots formation of say Faulk, our three tight-ends and Solder/Vollmer as the fifth eligible receiver.

In other words, we would have Light, Solder and Vollmer on the field at the same time with presumably both Gronk and Hernandez on the ends of the line available for either pass or blocking. I have no clue if I were on defense how I would respond to such a combination of mass and athleticism. What would happen if say Gronk went in motion across the formation? Oh, the possibilities ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back