Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Rookie
Reaction score
I just read this on KFFL:

Bengals | Team could trade C. Johnson this offseason
Mon, 22 Oct 2007 21:05:32 -0700

Mark Curnutte, of the Cincinnati Enquirer, reports Cincinnati Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis did not deny a rumor that the team may consider trading WR Chad Johnson in the offseason. During ESPN's pregame show Sunday, Oct. 21, ESPN's Chris Mortensen said that a "prominent member of the Bengals organization recently told me recently that the organization does have a decision to make on Chad Johnson, that he is so passionate and proud that if they decided to discipline him for some of those antics they believe he might shut it down. So how he finishes the rest of the year and the Bengals finish could bring them to a crossroads discussion on whether to even trade Chad Johnson in the offseason."

Now you can call me crazy, but I am fairly certain Belichick likes Johnson, respects him, or whatever you want to call it. The stories we have heard about the way they got along in the Pro Bowl, and the friendly sideline exchange in this season's game, all point in that direction. I wonder then, would NE think about grabbing him at end of the year if this report is true? I know they are stacked at WR, but still..... Just a thought.

I'd say first try to resign Moss and If that doesn't happen seriously inquire about Johnson. Chad has great talent and his antics aren't disrespectful but rather funny.

I just read this on KFFL:

Bengals | Team could trade C. Johnson this offseason
Mon, 22 Oct 2007 21:05:32 -0700

Mark Curnutte, of the Cincinnati Enquirer, reports Cincinnati Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis did not deny a rumor that the team may consider trading WR Chad Johnson in the offseason. During ESPN's pregame show Sunday, Oct. 21, ESPN's Chris Mortensen said that a "prominent member of the Bengals organization recently told me recently that the organization does have a decision to make on Chad Johnson, that he is so passionate and proud that if they decided to discipline him for some of those antics they believe he might shut it down. So how he finishes the rest of the year and the Bengals finish could bring them to a crossroads discussion on whether to even trade Chad Johnson in the offseason."

Now you can call me crazy, but I am fairly certain Belichick likes Johnson, respects him, or whatever you want to call it. The stories we have heard about the way they got along in the Pro Bowl, and the friendly sideline exchange in this season's game, all point in that direction. I wonder then, would NE think about grabbing him at end of the year if this report is true? I know they are stacked at WR, but still..... Just a thought.

San D will be all over this.

Moss will most likely resign here, so I think it depends on what happens with Stallworth. If they don't pick up Donte's option, I could see them maybe going after Johnson.

Much as I like CJ, not sure where and how he could fit in. We gotta keep Moss (and we will I think), and I also think we keep Stallworth. Welker's already here for awhile. Where the heck would we put him. If he was a FA and and gave us a huge "I wanna win one too" discount, then fine. But the Bungles will be asking a STEEP price for him.

Not realistic if you ask me.

They'll consider any player that is available that could improve the team. However, there's probably only enough $ to pay big dollars to one WR. And I think the Pats prefer Moss.

San D will be all over this.

Scary thought. That could be one of the best collections of talent and one of the most volatile locker rooms in NFL history.

The thing is that the Pats organization is not one that supports CJ's type of antics. Disrespectful or not, the Pats would ask him to tone it down and buy into the team concept. I was sure that Moss would fit right into the organization, but I'm also sure that CJ is very attached to his flamboyant persona. I don't think he would just turn it off for BB, despite whatever relationship or respect they now have.

It also isn't as if CJ would be coming from an awful quarterback to Brady. Playing with Palmer can not be compared to the situtation that Moss was coming from in Oakland.

I love chad johnson, hes the most misunderstood person in the nfl right now. He and belichick seem very fond of each other and hes a great player. Im sure pioli and belichick will consider nabbing him. the only problem is if stallworth and moss stay, where does he fit in?

I don't think Chad is going anywhere.

This is like a "BB is leaving to coach the Giants!" article. Total media BS.

Moss restructured his contract to join a winner and play with Brady. In my opinion and hope, Chad would sacrifice something to join the Pats and a coach he respects. I am not saying in place of Moss, but in addition to Moss. Not sure where he'd fit with Stallworth here, but I can see this happening for sure, which is why I posted it. Plus, WRs of the Moss and Stallworth and Johnson variety are always susceptible to leg injuries of some kind so you can never have enough.

I think it's a pipe dream that Johnson would become available at all ...... but I am sure BB would strongly consider adding Jonson if it were possible.

I'm good with where we're at. Spend the money elsewhere.

No chance...He would clearly cost a first-round pick. I agree w/ Michigan Dave...spend the money elsewhere.

Yeah Chad doesn't have a say in taking less. It would be a straight-up trade. And Chad is easily a 1st round pick guy. (He might even bring in more than that.)

I'm also not convinced he goes. If I were Bengals ownership, I'd be looking alot harder at Marvin Lewis than at Chad Johnson. Everything going on with that team right now is a coaching/discipline issue. It could even be this thing with Chad is a red herring so Lewis doesn't see it coming. Yes, I see conspiracy around every corner. But that doesn't mean I'm wrong. LOL

-Rob-

Chris Mortensen said that a "prominent member of the Bengals organization recently told me recently that the organization does have a decision to make on Chad Johnson, that he is so passionate and proud that if they decided to discipline him for some of those antics they believe he might shut it down."

I wonder then, would NE think about grabbing him at end of the year if this report is true? I know they are stacked at WR, but still..... Just a thought.
The problem isn't being stacked at WR. It is the Bengals fear that CJ will shut it down if they try to make him tone it down.

BB reads the riot act to star players all the time. How the heck would a prima donna who cannot be discilplined without quitting fit on the Pats?

BB would have to be real certain that CJ can be yelled at and is willing to eat humble pie on a weekly basis.

I didn't think that Moss would fit in, so what do I know. Maybe Chad will work.

But he is too much like Moss, and I want to keep Moss. Having two receivers with identical attributes is not nearly as valuable and having three guys (Moss, Stallworth and Welker) with differing attributes.

My two cents only.

But he is too much like Moss, and I want to keep Moss. Having two receivers with identical attributes is not nearly as valuable and having three guys (Moss, Stallworth and Welker) with differing attributes.

My two cents only.

I guess I'm not sure what you are saying. I think most people would think that Stallworth and Moss are very similar wide receivers, attribute wise, as is Johnson. I would imagine that if Johnson came here he would come to replace either Moss or Stallworth, one of whom is a free agent next year, and the other has a rather high salary slated to kick in next year. It all depends on what Cinci would want for a pick for trade and whether or not Johnson would restructure his contract.

On a side note, up until this year, I always thought premier wide receivers were vastly over rated and over paid. After watching Moss this year, I no longer think that. I do however think that draft picks are over rated.

from PFT
"Bottom line? Chad knows that his days in Cincinnati are coming to an end, and he's probably not all that unhappy about it.

Especially if the Patriots are looking for any more receivers come 2008."

All your recievers are belong to us....

How the heck would a prima donna who cannot be discilplined without quitting fit on the Pats?

Easy. Guys like this shut up when they have a chance to win. Exhibit A: Randy Moss. I guarantee you, Chad Johnson would give just about anything to play on this team for BB and with Tom Brady.

Johnson in NE is a longshot. There is no need for him. He'll just bring another big ego to conflict with Randy Moss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back