Welcome to PatsFans.com

Chad Johnson

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by BadMoFo, Sep 27, 2007.

1. BadMoFo

BadMoFo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

September 27, 2007
    Chad checks in
    FOXBOROUGH -- Bengals receiver Chad Johnson held a conference call with the New England media today (1:15 p.m.). Unlike last year, when he asked the media to pass along some playful, trash-talking messages to safety Rodney Harrison and cornerback Asante Samuel, he kept things low key.

"Rodney is not playing?" Johnson asked. "Then I don't have any messages."

Yet Johnson did have one message for Bill Belichick.

"Tell Coach I said I love him, and that I'm looking forward to a great challenge," he said. "This is more than a football game. This is going to be a chess match. I don't really think it's between the players. This is a chess match for the coaches, who is going to make the right moves at the right time."

Johnson shared some strong feelings on the NFL's investigation into the Patriots' videotaping procedures.

"That videotaping thing, it doesn't matter," he said passionately. "OK, say you do know the signals. You still have to go out and execute the defense. Forget that. Take the cameras away -- you're talking about a great football team that has great coaches. Throw that camera bull out the window. They'd be 3-0 right now regardless of that damn camera."

Told he might be in the minority based on other comments made by players around the league, Johnson said: "Be for real. Be for real. They're a great team offensively and defensively. They are a great team and there is a reason why they are where they are. It's not because of no damn camera."

Johnson said he didn't have any celebrations planned, because the Bengals are 1-2 and it's not a time for celebrations.

Near the end of the 16-minute call, Johnson was asked his thoughts on playing Monday night. The bright lights and nationally televised audience seemed made for him, he was told.

"Most definitely," he said playfully. "It's one thing to already love the game, but to give me the spotlight on Monday night to play, you just don't do those things."

2. Nitro

Nitro On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -1

#22 Jersey

Whens he a free agent? maybe its just me but it seems like the guy wants to play for NE or something.

3. Cramden

Cramden On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Was just going to post this, great stuff.

4. Dragda

Dragda Yes, it's really me... PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

#93 Jersey

I seem to hold unpopular opinions, but I have always liked Chad Johnson. His trash talk is just for entertainment purposes. I'm glad he has a very good QB to throw him the ball.

5. Caspir

Caspir Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

He's signed through the 2011 season after restructuring his existing contract in 2006 which ran through 2009. He got a two year extension to that original deal that added more than $10m to the existing deal which was for over $25m. It's now a 6 year $35m and some change contract. His 2010 and 2011 base salaries are $5.375m per year.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  6. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +276 / 38 / -4

#75 Jersey

Chad and BB have always had great respect for each other. Chad used to, he may still, actually sleep at the Bengals complex on Thrusday nights, to spend more time getting prepared.

Nobody thought to ask him what he thought about Papelbon referring to himself as "cinco-ocho"

7. PatsRI

PatsRI PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

It's hard not to like the guy.

8. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Really smart talented players absolutely do. BB coached him in the Pro Bowl last February. That opened a lot of eyes about his coaching personality. These guys want to be put in a position to win. If they aren't all the talent in the world doesn't get them where they want to go. Talent doesn't fear accountability, it fears being held accountable for the mismanagement of others. Ask Randy.

Talent made a big splash for Marvin Lewis in 2005 when it appeared the Bungles were finally developing into Bengals (or even the Colts...). Even got him a plum appointment to the competition committee. His inability to manage that talent and get it to exhibit discipline on or off the field, has seen them slip backwards over the last season and a quarter. I don't see a lot of management accountability in a lot of organizations. I watch Marvin turning inside out from good play to bad play frustrated with the erratic undisciplined performance players he is responsible for fielding and coaching turn in. And I gotta wonder, whose fault do you think that is Marvin?

I still don't like the silly celebrations. Sure they're harmless in the grand scheme, but he's right that 1-2 is no time to be acting silly and calling attention to yourself.

9. Krugman

Krugman Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I'm with you Dragda,Chad's end zone celebrations and the "Ocho Cinco" thing are hilarious,and never seem to be aimed at the opposing team ,or mean-spirited.When he jumped into the dog pound at Cleveland that was a hoot!How can you not like this guy?

10. Mainefan

Mainefan Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I think he's one of the most likeable and talented people in the league. Also, very entertaining. He might be a bit stifled if he were a Patriot, however.

11. SVN

SVN Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +197 / 3 / -0

he is nice guy but look at the questions the press asks before a big football game

12. 3RINGS@COUNTING

3RINGS@COUNTING Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Good post it may of changed my view of him. It would be great to see him as a pat not thats possible.

13. Underoath

Underoath On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Chad's my favorite non-patriot player.

14. zarakotas5

zarakotas5 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That's the epitome of respect in terms of pro football.

CJ makes a show of saying he will do this and that against so and so.

When so and so is of importance but won't play, he said nothing.

He's damn good and knows it. We should acknowledge that. He is damn good. And somehow (except for the HOF thing, which I think was trifle and poor), he comes off as entertainment, which is the spirit of the game. Even Dick Butkus said so much, and as "spirit of the game" fans, we should accept that.

15. FloridaHerb

FloridaHerb Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I like Chad a lot, I don't have the BB quote at my fingertips but I think it was pretty much to the effect of "He's a good kid"..I don't know why everyone has to get so caught up with his antics, he's out there having fun.

It is a game after all, games are SUPPOSED to be fun!

That said I hope Chad doesn't have any fun until 10/14 @ KC. ;)

16. NovaScotiaPatsFan

NovaScotiaPatsFan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I feel the same way, CJ is AOK in my book.

17. CTPatsFan

CTPatsFan Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

While I do find some of his antics a bit stupid and/or annoying, he does do it all in good fun and opposing players seem to have a good time with him. Outside the 2-way trash talking with opponents, I've never heard him speak ill of another team or player.

18. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -4

Too bad we didn't draft him. Can you believe he went in the 2nd round?
    Right now this team has room for only one premiere receiver on the payroll anyway, and that's going to be Randy Moss.
    Extending Moss is going to take a pretty chunk of cap but it will be worth it.

And I believe this time that Brady WILL put his foot down.
    I can understand not wanting to pay top dollar to Branch, but Moss has proven himself worth it.

19. FSUPatsFan

FSUPatsFan Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

For those interested, here is what BB had to say about Chad Johnson last year before the Patriots played the Bengals.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  20. FlyingElvis75

FlyingElvis75 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Similar stuff from Palmer:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20070928/SPT02/709280356/

And Bill:
    Heh, I've gone and quoted almost the entire article, but the link's still there in case anyone wants to see ads.