PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chad Johnson says being 'controlled' by the Patriots led to his failure here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone wonder if Chad didn't try on purpose in some games, due to being mad/insane for whatever reason. I remember a few instances such as the bomb in the Steelers game, totally giving up on a route in the Bills game that led to an INT, and tapping out of the Superbowl after his only catch!

Who really cares though, just glad he's gone.

Stupidity and not control doomed Chad in his stay here.

You guys never worked with an "out loud thinker?" Let me tell you, it's a trip. Every thought through their brain gets vocalized.
"Hey look at that bird in the tree. Its so pretty and purple, like Barney, My kids love Barney on Saturday mornings. Dammm, I didn't drink my morning coffee. Maybe I should eat some coffee cake after practice. What time is practice this afternoon? Where I grew up we had afternoon showers in the summer. My first summer job was collecting cocunuts on the side of the road. I think I will go off roading in my Hummer. Where's my girlfriend when I need her?

I suspect Chad is being sincere in his assessment. With the Pats he was too concerned about not being Chad...

1st and ten from the Steelers 22......."Check it out, Tommy's gonna throw a fade in the corner and I'm gonna leap for it, grab it with one hand, and do right shoulder roll. Then I''m gonna do my "I feel good" shuffle right over to the goalpost and give that post a feel up...Ocho style. Wait.....that's a no go. no dance. Just hand it to the ref. Be the team guy. Yeah the team guy. I got that all day........................................
Hey .....what.....why the fu** is the big honky spiking the ball by my dance post. That's my move. I taught him that in locker room. Why's my locker next to Slater....I'm no special teamer...that's BS

Last edited:
Who do you think will have a better season Mo?...Randy or Chad?

Both players were noted to be practicing well for their new teams.

Does it really matter? I think not. Moss if he's healthy can outproduce Chad early on if Smith doesn't land in his doghouse. SF can win without him, although they can just as easily fall back to earth with him. Chad may flash with Garrard or Moore here or there, but it isn't going to amount to a whole hill of beans. Eventually everyone will be less than happy. Both have the inherent athleticism to intrigue in shorts and shells... As someone else stated, lets see what they can do in pads and once the bell rings.

Does anyone wonder if Chad didn't try on purpose in some games, due to being mad/insane for whatever reason. I remember a few instances such as the bomb in the Steelers game, totally giving up on a route in the Bills game that led to an INT, and tapping out of the Superbowl after his only catch!

Who really cares though, just glad he's gone.

I don't remember the play in the Steelers game. I do remember the play in the Bills game, and I didn't have the same impression. Chad ran a route where he was supposed to cut in front of the defensive back to make the catch, but he took a bad angle and ran behind him instead, leading to the INT.

Just because a guy doesn't work out doesn't mean he didn't try or was a super villain. I liked Chad; I think Chad tried very hard and badly wanted to succeed. He just didn't. He's played many years with a certain style that emphasized improvisation; you saw how many times he and Carson Palmer shouted at each other in Cincy. That kind of stuff doesn't work in a high-percentage, precise offense like the one in New England.

Let's stop being paranoid and inventing reasons why Chad is such a bad guy and prima donna. He obviously wanted to succeed here.

This doesnt even make sense. I highly doubt he was asked to change his personality all the would ask him to do is tone it down for the media.

There have been plenty of interesting people to play for this team Randy, Corey, and Chad come to mind for me as all three had their "personality problems" prior to coming here and all toned it down somewhat (even if just for a season or short period of time) but the other two actually proved they could still preform.

This is just a guy near the end trying to make an excuse for last year to try and justify where he is at now and what his role should be.

Bottom line to me is I defended him the whole way and had no problem with him until now. I mean he came in shut up and gave it a try it didnt work so be it I could live with that and still like him. But I dont like someone making excuses especially when its something I dont think he owed anybody. What is suposed to come of this excuse? Nothing is accomplished by this other then appeasing his own need to ignore last year for something other than diminishing skills.

This may be his honest assessment of the situation. He probably didn't fit in, and for someone like him that may have impact his performance.

I agree. I also think that Chad is a sandlot guy. He is successful when its "on this play run this route and we will get you the ball." The offense was way to complicated for him. His does not have football intelligence, but he dose have great athletic ability.

I wish him the best of luck, except when he plays against the Patriots.

Curran nails it...

Chad then met with the New England media for the first time as a Patriot. He opined that Foxboro was "heaven."

Were the Patriots interested in a buttoned-down and businesslike approach? Yes. Was their intention to muffle Chad Ochocinco and turn him into a latter day Barry Sanders? No. Their hope was that he'd just keep it reasonable. The Patriots knew what they'd traded for.

Within a week, though, Chad was already the most butter-fingered receiver in camp and pissed off by questions about his spate of drops.

He had to be treated tenderly. His insistence that the playbook was nearly mastered was met with understanding nods.

But he didn't get much better.

Then, after his key drop in Buffalo in Week 3, he never spoke to the local media en masse again.

Asked about his difficulty in learning the Patriots' offense, Chad told Jackson, "The stuff that I do well, I do extremely well. The Pats know what I do well. You put that player in position to make those same plays he’s been making his whole career. It’s not rocket science."

So if the Patriots had built their offense around a 33-year-old wideout who'd never won a playoff game, he'd have had better numbers. Makes sense.

Chad goes on to mention he's still got the physical tools and -- aside from losing a little deep speed -- he seems to still have that burst and short-area quickness. If a team is willing to funnel him the ball and play offense on his terms, Chad will put up numbers. Which will allow him to stay relevant and noteworthy.

And isn't that what it's all about?

For Chad relevance is absolutely what it's all about.

Curran: Chad Johnson begins his Patriots critique

Although I think his problem was more of not understanding the playbook, but there might be some validity to his comments. If you don't feel comfortable in your work environment, it can affect your ability to do your job especially with a WR, who by definition of the position he plays, can be a bit of a headcase.

Curran nails it...

For Chad relevance is absolutely what it's all about.

Curran: Chad Johnson begins his Patriots critique

Meh. Chad hardly even said anything. What's he going to say? That he has nothing left, is too dumb to understand the offense, and incurs 100% of the blame? Big deal, he said he was "controlled." Hardly the type of drama that makes anyone care.

I do agree with him about his role in the offense. The Pats got a player who has built his career on a style, and they've asked him to play a completely different role, one that he obviously can't do. The blame is on both sides here.

The Patriots should be kicking themselves. If they'd gone after a guy like Gaffney or Stallworth, or a similar player on the offense who knows how to run routes, react, and play the #2/#3 WR role with a smile, they'd probably have a championship to show for it.

No way that this little outburst has anything to do with increasing his visibility during the upcoming season of Hard Knocks, right? Nah.

I tot he was bad because he was too busy being in awe of our offense?

Gronk's 2011 season must make Chad think wow that's video game highlights, to use his phrase, but Gronk's off-season must be killing Chad 100X.

what lead to his failure was not being able to learn a dam playbook

I doubt he is going to do it because he rarely gets in the end zone anymore,but the last thing I want to see this year is Chad celebrating a TD catch in the Gillette end zone with one of his dumb TD acts.

Believe me if he gets a chance,the circus act will follow.

I doubt he is going to do it because he rarely gets in the end zone anymore,but the last thing I want to see this year is Chad celebrating a TD catch in the Gillette end zone with one of his dumb TD acts.

Believe me if he gets a chance,the circus act will follow.

He won't get a chance

what lead to his failure was not being able to learn a dam playbook

The fact that he just didn't have what it took to build that rapport with Brady that so many receivers also fail to to. The difference is that he was more high profile so, when he failed, it made headlines. The first sentence of my post is one of the biggest reasons why I want to see this team retain the services of one Wes Welker because, above all, Johnson shows us just how hard it is to find a quality receiver and make him stick.

The first sentence of my post is one of the biggest reasons why I want to see this team retain the services of one Wes Welker

Sorry...but i think he will be gone after this year. I would like to keep him as well. But they see him as expendable. We will see

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots