PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chad Jackson reminds me of........

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruthSeeker

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I don't like the comparison game that much, though it goes on quite often in football.While watching video of Laurence Maroney (Mahoney, Marooney, and any other variations), nobody really came to mind as far as a comparison, some people say he's Edgerin James, I just don't see that. He reminds me more of Kevin Jones of Detroit with speed (Watched a lot of KJ when I thought we were gonna draft him in '04).

Every time I watch video of Chad Jackson, he reminds me so much of one person, and though I hate him, he reminds me so much of Michael Irvin (with more speed). His size, and game breaking ability, remind so much of Michael Irvin it's scary. I hated Michael Irvin as a player, and even more so as a commentator, but he was a great player. Every time I see Jackson, I see Michael Irvin. Hopefully he's as good (or even better !!).

Does he remind you or any current or past player ? If he's half as good as Irvin, he'll be a good one.

Chad Jackson reminds me of..err..Chad Jackson. Just as Tom Brady reminds me of Tom Brady and Corey Dillon reminds me of Corey Dillon.

"It is what it is." "They are who they are."

I agree with the Kevin Jones comparsion

Both were known for quickness and speed.. but not in passing game

both are threats to score from anywhere but as far as awarness and hitting the hole..i have to say Maroney but breaking tackles..i've seen Jones run quiet a few people over

Here's a comparison between Jackson, Givens and Branch. Givens' athleticism is a little better than I expected here. I wonder if Jackson slipped on the 3-cone because he number is out of whack with the others when compared to Branch and Givens.

Jackson 6'1", 213 :
40 : 4.32
20 : 2.56
10 : 1.51
Vertical : 38.5
Broad : 10'2"
20 shuttle : 4.03
3-cone : 7.74

Branch 5'9", 191 :
40 : 4.47
20 : 2.56
10 : 1.51
Vertical : 36
Broad : 9'9"
20 shuttle : 3.76
3-cone : 6.71

Givens 6'0", 217 :
40 : N/A
20 : 2.59
10 : 1.57
Vertical : 40.5
Broad : 10'6"
20 shuttle : 4.13
3-cone : 6.82

the KJ comparison is interesting considering Michael holley says that the Pats planned to take Kevin Jones with the 32nd pick before Detroit took him. I know BB loves big backs, but I think he knew that the team needed more big play ability.

He reminds me of Eric Moulds, but maybe I am wrong.

I'm sorry BF but you got Chad Jackson's 3 cone drill time entirely wrong.
I knew that number looked wrong because I had pored over them coming into the draft.
As far as I know he scored top 3 in all of his WR group's drills. CJ has the agility as well as the speed.

Source:
http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/insidethenumbers.htm
Wide Receivers:

Chad Jackson totally dominated almost every single event here and if you take into account all the drills it becomes pretty clear that Jackson had by far the best performance of the entire combine.

*Some notable performers in the 3-cone drill:

1. Greg Jennings 6.68
2. Travis Wilson 6.70
3. Chad Jackson 6.73
4. Greg Lee 6.80
5. Jeff Webb 6.81
6. Maurice Stovall 6.81

Last edited:
VJCPatriot said:
I'm sorry BF but you got Chad Jackson's 3 cone drill time entirely wrong.
Thanks for the correct number, like I said I copied it from another site and I assumed there was something wrong because it looked too out of place with the others.

BelichickFan said:
Thanks for the correct number, like I said I copied it from another site and I assumed there was something wrong because it looked too out of place with the others.

No Prob. I'm certainly not gonna blame you for another site's typo. I just made the correction for the sake of accuracy. ;)

Do cones tackle?

I think for the 40, they should put you in full gear and let you jog slowly up to the line -- see what kind of burst a runner has.

Maroney has a running style -- more upright -- than most. Of course, the former world's fastest man, Michael Johnson, has a very upright style too, but he was not being hit. I can't wait to watch this guy.

onegameatatime said:
I think for the 40, they should put you in full gear and let you jog slowly up to the line -- see what kind of burst a runner has.
The 10 yard shows burst, admittedly not in pads.

Jackson is actually a slight mystery to me. He's fast. He has great hands. He's reasonably big. He was highly productive. He may not be considered a great route runner or super smart but he's not considered a dog in either area. And,yet, before the draft he was considered a #1 pick only because of a weak WR draft but still ended up slipping out of the first round. Weird.

onegameatatime said:
Do cones tackle?

Maroney has a running style -- more upright -- than most. Of course, the former world's fastest man, Michael Johnson, has a very upright style too, but he was not being hit. I can't wait to watch this guy.

Eddie George looked pretty good running upright. And he definitely got tackled, although it's a toss-up to see who got the worse of each collision. I'm in the James crowd. Takes the ball, eyes up, makes his decision, and hits that hole with authority.

As for Chad Jackson, I don't know. I'd say off the top of my head that the closest comparison might be Tim Brown.

bigrichard93 said:
he reminds me of a bigger chad johnson

He reminds me of chad johnson with a different last name! lol

He reminds me of Lawrence Mahoney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back