PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chad Jackson Injury Update...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Caldwell and Gaffney are about equal in talent. One stepped up big time in the playoffs while the other did OK, but was shaky at times.
Well, don't put too much emphasis on the last game of the year. It was Caldwell's worst game and Gaffney's best game, but judging a player's worth by the last game he played isn't very accurate.

If both players play in preseason the way they played last year, look for Caldwell to stay and Gaffney to be cut.

Well, don't put too much emphasis on the last game of the year. It was Caldwell's worst game and Gaffney's best game, but judging a player's worth by the last game he played isn't very accurate.

It wasn't just the last game. Gaffney outperformed Caldwell throughout the playoffs.

Vs. Jets
------------
Gaffney- 8 recps., 104 yards
Caldwell- 5 recps., 50 yards

@ Chargers
------------
Gaffney- 10 recps., 103 yards
Caldwell 7 recps., 80 yards

@ Colts*
------------
Caldwell- 4 recps., 46 yards
Gaffney- 3 recps., 37 yards

*Looks like both had subpar games, but you must consider Gaffney's clutch TD catch and Caldwell's drops

Let's see who comes out on top when they both get to spend the entire offseason with the team.

I dont think they are going to be in any rush to get him back. As stated in that article... it takes time for him to regain coordination in his knee. He is not going to be in a Braylon Edwards situation, where he will be expected to be the #1. They will bring him along slowly.

Right! In case you missed it, there's a mention of 12-18 months to be fully right again.

Last year, I put the over/under for Jackson's 2006 receptions at 17, which proved to be high. For the 2007 season, I am putting the over/under for Jackson's catches at..... 17.

Last edited:
Well, this makes sense. David Givens couldn't hold onto a ball to save his life his rookie year.
GREAT point..Givens worked his tail off after that..Juggs machine and all...and look see what happened?? He still dropped some..BUT way fewer...He improved to get his BIG contract..hard work pays off....always wondered why Graham never did...he was next in line for it..although he DID impriove some.

Right! In case you missed it, there's a mention of 12-18 months to be fully right again.

Last year, I put the over/under for Jackson's 2006 receptions at 17, which proved to be high. For the 2007 season, I am putting the over/under for Jackson's catches at..... 17.

The Shak does have a way with numbers, people

It wasn't just the last game. Gaffney outperformed Caldwell throughout the playoffs.

Vs. Jets
------------
Gaffney- 8 recps., 104 yards
Caldwell- 5 recps., 50 yards

@ Chargers
------------
Gaffney- 10 recps., 103 yards
Caldwell 7 recps., 80 yards

@ Colts*
------------
Caldwell- 4 recps., 46 yards
Gaffney- 3 recps., 37 yards

*Looks like both had subpar games, but you must consider Gaffney's clutch TD catch and Caldwell's drops

Let's see who comes out on top when they both get to spend the entire offseason with the team.
Yeah, the stats don't show much. Caldwell had better stats than Gaffney in the Colts game, but Gaffney had a better game, as you point out. In the other two games, Caldwell had the better game, again not reflected in the stats. Gaffney did better when the other teams tried to take Caldwell out of the game, which makes sense. That's one reason I am hoping for a big year out of Caldwell next year. He really isn't a No 1 receiver, but should shine as a No 2. With Stallworth in the lineup, Caldwell will no longer be covered by the other teams best CB, and may even benefit from Stallworth being double-teamed. That should make a big difference.

We'll see in pre-season next year. One of Caldwell-Gaffney should make the team. (My money is on Caldwell.)

My hope is that one of Caldwell-Gaffney will shine in their "contract Year" and do well enough to be signed again, and for one of Stallworth-Washington to show a new persona and make the big second year option well worth paying out.

That would give us Jackson, Welker and two other quality WRs (probably Stallworth and Caldwell) going into 2008. We could draft a developmental WR in 2008.

Last edited:
GREAT point..Givens worked his tail off after that..Juggs machine and all...and look see what happened??
The difference between Rookie Givens and Second Year Givens was so dramatic as to be almost unbelievable.

i was happy to read that CJ will return allready in June-July and i still believe in him

good news, no doubt

Last edited:
Last edited:
sorry but i have not understood what do you mean
He is saying that Albert Breer is a liar in the Metrowest article, and is scamming you, and that you are gullible to believe him (Breer).

There once was a series of email scams in which some guy said he had access to a lot of Nigerian money and anyone could have it as long as they gave him some money first to set up a transfer, or if you gave the guy access to your accounts or something like that. Only the most gullible of readers would have believed this and fallen for the scam.

Last edited:
ok...thks Spacecrime...now i understood...

The difference between Rookie Givens and Second Year Givens was so dramatic as to be almost unbelievable.
It really was and his hands got SOOOO much better...He was almost a 1 in 100 chance receiver to make it and THROUGH his hard work..he got teh big bucks. Really..I can not at all take anything away from him...he worked his tail off for the green!!! Funny..of the few who left..so few said anything bad about him..compared to teh others who left..
I wish more of the young receivers had his drive!!

Well, this makes sense. David Givens couldn't hold onto a ball to save his life his rookie year.
It's a little different, Givens wasn't a full time WR in college, McKnight is. He should be a better WR now than he showed me this year.

It's a little different, Givens wasn't a full time WR in college, McKnight is. He should be a better WR now than he showed me this year.

Yah, Givens was a converted running back

My Comparisons between Mcknight and Givens were more because they are both Strong, physical, hard working, and (most of all) SMART players.

I would love to see Chad heal quickly and return to the field A.S.A.P.. Jackson, when on the field, has shown flashes of what he can do. However, with the additions of Welker, Stallworth and Washington, will enable the coaching staff to bring Jackson along slowly. I wouldn't be surprised if he has another season like his first because of the veteran recievers ahead of him and no need to rush him on the field. Don't worry, he will not be the next Bethel Johnson, he's only 22 years old.

I would love to see Chad heal quickly and return to the field A.S.A.P.. Jackson, when on the field, has shown flashes of what he can do. However, with the additions of Welker, Stallworth and Washington, will enable the coaching staff to bring Jackson along slowly. I wouldn't be surprised if he has another season like his first because of the veteran recievers ahead of him and no need to rush him on the field. Don't worry, he will not be the next Bethel Johnson, he's only 22 years old.

What he needs is what he did not have a chance to get last year - practice, practice & more practice. he needs all those repititions he would be getting at the summer practices. He needs to work through learning that playbook, adjusting to the speed of the game. The only way to do that is to practice and play. He needs to learn from Brady and Brady needs time to learn about how CJ plays.

Remember, even when healthy through High School & College, this was his Modus Operandi - slow starter then bursts upon the scene. He has the speed, the hands, the moves - all the physical talent in the world.

This is where Chad will differ from say a Bethel Johnson, in that once he gets it - and he will - watch out.

Of course, that is also why this injury at this time sucks so bad, he just cannot get the work he needs to gain the needed experience and confidence to slow the game down.

We all need to be patient, it may not happen until 2008 for him now, depending on how and when that knee responds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots