PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chad Jackson = fast!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwc

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Chad Jackson was just on WEEI (don't ask me why they were talking about the NFL).

They asked him his 40-yard dash times. He said that his best time was a 4.29 at Florida. He ran a 4.32 at the combine in Indy.

Yeah, I was watching the combine live when he ripped that time off. And he was slightly faster the second time than the first (they were both under 4.40) and I said "WOW. He just made some money". But he dropped down a little further than I thought. He was a big play guy in 2004 before changing to the slot WR in 2005. I'm still a little leery of his route running but love the upside.

Is he faster than our other #2 WR pick, Bethel Johnson?

About the same, I think. If I recall, Bethel Johnson ran a 4.3 - somthing at the combine.

Plus, Jackson has great hands. He annihilated the field in the college all-stars skills contest -- the one where the receiver is surrounded by three JUGGS machines firing ball at him. He caught something like 26 balls compared to 19 for the next best (Santonio whats his name). He missed one and snagged one one-handed with his arm fully outstretched.

hwc said:
About the same, I think. If I recall, Bethel Johnson ran a 4.3 - somthing at the combine.

Plus, Jackson has great hands. He annihilated the field in the college all-stars skills contest -- the one where the receiver is surrounded by three JUGGS machines firing ball at him. He caught something like 26 balls compared to 19 for the next best (Santonio whats his name). He missed one and snagged one one-handed with his arm fully outstretched.
Great video of that event.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Is he faster than our other #2 WR pick, Bethel Johnson?

It's probably pretty close but I would give the nod to Bethel. That being said, as far as receiving skills, it's not even close.

That video is awesome... this guy's demeanor reminds me of Troy Brown. Kinda humble.

Bethel's Combine :
40 yard : 4.38
20 yard : 2.60
10 yard : 1.55
Vertical : 38.5"
Broad Jump : 10'7"

Chad Jackson's Combine :
40 yard : 4.32
20 yard : 2.56
10 yard : 1.51
Vertical : 38.5"
Broad Jump : 10'2"

Those are the only numbers I have that there were numbers for both.

(Jackson was 6'1", 213, Bethel was 5'11", 201).

Here's more for interest :

Deion Branch's Combine (I had to do a double take on the 10 and 20 - compare to Jackson's):
40 yard : 4.47
20 yard : 2.56
10 yard : 1.51
Vertical : 36"
Broad Jump : 9'9"

David Givens' Combine :
40 yard : Not Listed
20 yard : 2.59
10 yard : 1.57
Vertical : 40.5"
Broad Jump : 10'6"

Last edited:
T-ShirtDynasty said:
That's awesome video. That one-handed grab was pretty amazing. Thanks for posting this!
Yeah, not being a big college football fan that event was my first real impression of Jackson. It was a real good first impression :D It would seem like the only things that can stop him are poor effort or a lack of intelligence - and given Belichick's relationship with Urban Meyer, it's difficult to believe those would be issues if Belichick still wanted to trade up for him.

hwc said:
Chad Jackson was just on WEEI (don't ask me why they were talking about the NFL).

They asked him his 40-yard dash times. He said that his best time was a 4.29 at Florida. He ran a 4.32 at the combine in Indy.

Bethel Johnson had a great 40 time also........as for being a good WR that didn't quite work out. Let's wait and see how things go before we start celebrating.

i dont think hes as fast as Bethel..Bethel said his Pro Day was 4.28 i believe..and Bethel is fastest player Bill's coached..sure Jackson has the speed too but hes not as fast as Bethel on the field in my opinion.

MrTibbs said:
Bethel Johnson had a great 40 time also........as for being a good WR that didn't quite work out. Let's wait and see how things go before we start celebrating.

You always have to take a wait 'n see attitude. However, Bethel didn't have anywhere near the production in college that Jackson did -- presumably because Bethel had such serious health problems (ruptured spleen, multiple abdominal surgeries, if I recall).

Jackson was extremely productive in college -- 89 catches last year. As long as he can stay healthy in camp, I see no reason that he can't contribute as a rookie. Whether that's as a role player or by grabbing the #2 WR spot, we'll just have to wait 'n see.

oldrover said:
That video is awesome... this guy's demeanor reminds me of Troy Brown. Kinda humble.

When I was at UF I never heard about him getting into trouble. You always hear grumblings on Mondays about so and so getting into a fight Downtown. But I never heard his name in these fight/drunkeness rumors.

Probably the biggest UF news story this year was the accidental gun shooting and it was the UF WRs. Chad Jackson was NOT listed as one of the participants. Andre Caldwell...Reche's little bro, was one of the guys involved.

I think it's a great 2nd round pick. I think that's where he belonged. His second year is going to be huge. I can feel it.

i thought gun shooting was Dee Webb..CB

The video was of the "hands" competition. Not only is Jackson VERY fast, but he has great hands. He won the competition "hands down" (pun intended):

Jackson 27 receptions
Sonorice Moss 19
Davis 16
Williams 15

(I guess Santonio Holmes wasn't there.)

yeah i doubt Holmes would of beaten him..CJ has best hands..Holmes the better route runner

not faster than bethel; but is a far better reciever. He is going to be nasty; espcially with branch on the other side and two tight ends out there. Nasty speed and recieving, especially with maroney in the back field.

Remix 6 said:
i thought gun shooting was Dee Webb..CB

Ya but I believe the other two or three guys involved were WRs...Cornelius, Lewis and Caldwell.

Remix 6 said:
i dont think hes as fast as Bethel..Bethel said his Pro Day was 4.28 i believe..and Bethel is fastest player Bill's coached..sure Jackson has the speed too but hes not as fast as Bethel on the field in my opinion.
4.28 is my recollection of Bethel, also. And BB did say that Bethel was the fastest he's coached with the possible exception (BB said) of frank Upchurch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back