PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chad Jackson compared to 1st 10 2006 WR draft picks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arggghh.

While I'm in no position to say CJ will be an elite WR, I am willing to admit that I fully believe that he will become one of the best of his generation. This is a tough road, too, because production is inflated whilst relative talent is reduced. Patsfans who may may read this will say I'm an idiot, but if they could even remember this, would retract that. Transition time. Furthermore, I believe there is no reason other thay injury or self-destruction that CJ shouldn't be the exciting 85-100 catch, 980-1400 yard receiver that Pats fans have rarely seen. Times have changed. Effort used to be a go-word. Now it is a risk management proposition.

BradyManny2344 said:
I'm going to compile a list of all these negative nancies who are "off the Chad Jackson bandwagon". When he turns into an elite wide receiver, I'm going to come back and expose all the folks who were too impatient to wait until at least midseason to make a judgment on the guy.

I'll bet its the same ones who were adamantly opposed to using a high pick on him in the draft - and then as soon as he was here was singing his praises.

Then they developed unreasonable expectations for him - that he'd be an immediate #2 - or even #1 WR - as a rookie.

If by the end of next season he's a bust I'll admit I was wrong about him - but until then its WAY too early to write him off

patsox23 said:
It's way, WAY too early to say this re Jennings, Jackson AND Porter, you ridiculous newbie SPAZ.

It's too early to Jennings is having a good season? C'mon.

That said, I don't get the allure of Jerry Porter either.

JoeSixPat said:
I'll bet its the same ones who were adamantly opposed to using a high pick on him in the draft - and then as soon as he was here was singing his praises.

Then they developed unreasonable expectations for him - that he'd be an immediate #2 - or even #1 WR - as a rookie.

If by the end of next season he's a bust I'll admit I was wrong about him - but until then its WAY too early to write him off

I'm one of those who was opposed to using a #1 pick on WR, since, as is again generally being proven to be the case, 1st year performance for WRs is nothing special. Be that as it may, I remember how electric Jackson looked in the mini-camps and I still expect him to be a big-play guy for us for many years. The lack of patience from many posters here is surprising.

Still, if we draft WR any higher than our 2nd round selection next year, I'll be upset. Both 1st round choices need to be used on defense and one MUST be a strong, healthy DB.

BradyManny2344 said:
I'm going to compile a list of all these negative nancies who are "off the Chad Jackson bandwagon". When he turns into an elite wide receiver, I'm going to come back and expose all the folks who were too impatient to wait until at least midseason to make a judgment on the guy.

Compile it all you want. I am off the CJ bandwagon because people here are sooo high on a guy who has yet to contribute much. I don't compare to Greg Jennings or Colston because they all play in a different offense, but I am not going to be like "he will turn into one of the best" until I can see some consistency on his part, and as of now, I have seen none.

It's nuts to say that CJ will be great, and nuts to say he's a bust. He's a rookie. If we get a big contribution this year, it's a plus, but should not be expected.

Givens had 9 catches his rookie year (although Branch did have 43).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes