PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chad Jackson = Bethel Johnson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Understanding only time will tell, thuis far I'm liking what I'm hearing and seeing.

Starting with the Jackson = Johnson now, at this point in Jackson's career, which is just starting. Too me, that's a combination of Football and daytime soaps.

The way I've handled all the changes is simple and seems to be working.

Every change is a box, every box will open at IT's own pace.

The Gabriel and Chad boxes are opening slowly, but everytime we see these two involved in a play, it's generally good. Gabriel's box is about halfway open, looking pretty good so far. Chad's box is opening a little slower, but it's opening, kid's starting to score ! I do think in time, these two will replace Givens and Branch ( I'm assuming Jackson is a very good player next year ).

Look at Jr, that box was a bonus !! He's filling the spot rather well !!

Again, relax, enjoy the win !! We're all spoiled

hallfamebrady said:
Explain to me. Why isn't he in the starting lineup? The rookie talk is an excuse. The Pats are so desparate at WR that he should crack the lineup no problem. I find it troubling that he can not beat Reche out for a starting spot.

Desperate? 5-1 4-0 in the division.

Confess, you don't really watch football, do you?

Phantasy Phootball doesn't count.

Last edited:
hallfamebrady said:
Explain to me. Why isn't he in the starting lineup? The rookie talk is an excuse. The Pats are so desparate at WR that he should crack the lineup no problem. I find it troubling that he can not beat Reche out for a starting spot.
See, that's the thing. YOU are desperate at WR. The Pats are not.

The Pats are not going to rush him when there is zero need to do so. It's far better to bring him along so he makes solid progress. It's more important he be up to speed at playoff time. Starting him before he is fully ready does nothing to help the team. Rookie WRs typically start slow throughout the NFL.

By the way, our current #1 WR Troy Brown didn't score a TD until his 5th year.

BrianPat said:
Understanding only time will tell, thuis far I'm liking what I'm hearing and seeing.

Starting with the Jackson = Johnson now, at this point in Jackson's career, which is just starting. Too me, that's a combination of Football and daytime soaps.

The Gabriel and Chad boxes are opening slowly, but everytime we see these two involved in a play, it's generally good. Gabriel's box is about halfway open, looking pretty good so far. Chad's box is opening a little slower, but it's opening, kid's starting to score ! I do think in time, these two will replace Givens and Branch ( I'm assuming Jackson is a very good player next year ).

gabriel made an awesome td catch. i think brady was thinking to himself how lucky he was to throw that ball without it getting picked

BrianPat said:

gabriel made an awesome td catch. i think brady was thinking to himself how lucky he was to throw that ball without it getting picked

hallfamebrady said:
To me it doesnt look like the Patriots are too desperate. Brown, Gabriel, Caldwell...all are solid recievers. Jackson will be a good reciever and possibly a great reciever. And soon another very solid reciever will get time, Gaffney. How about the fact that Chad has been injured, hasnt had all the time in the world to get comfortable with Brady? Made what...2 training camp practices? 0 Preseason games? You are so foolish. Caldwell and Brown were listed as starters but they all got plenty of time. To be honest Brady seems pretty comfortable with Caldwell whatever you think of him. He gets some good first downs. Granted he should have caught one of the balls today but everyone drops some easy catches. Brady played great today but the should have been TD should have been a little closer and it would have been easy for Reche to get the TD. Chad isnt cracking the "starter" role if there even is one when it comes to the Pats recievers because he has only gotten a little playing time in two games and didnt play preseason and was at 2 training camp practices. You are pretty lame, what a joke for a thread.

Jackson's short game was reportedly weak in college and some fans will condemn him for that. However you have to give Jackson some credit for that 35-yard TD catch - even the Bills don't leave a receiver wide open in the end zone on the right side of the field. Remember also that sideline catch Jackson made early in the season - Belichick gave Jackson credit for a difficult catch.

Last edited:
lobster said:
Jackson's short game was reportedly weak in college and some fans will condemn him for that. However you have to give Jackson some credit for that 35-yard TD catch - even the Bills don't leave a receiver wide open in the end zone on the right side of the field. Remember also that sideline catch Jackson made early in the season - Belichick gave Jackson credit for a difficult catch.

his short game was weak? he averaged low last year..caught 88 balls off the short routes

Last edited:
That route Jackson ran for that TD today was probably the best route I have seen thus far today. Torry Holt himself couldn't of run a better one on that play.

Which leads to the two word's, potential and rookie. Basically a rookie ran an all-pro route which equates to NFL potential. No he can't make plays like those every time but with time and experience maybe he will.

BradyManny2344 said:
What an embarassing thread. Guy makes a 35 yard TD catch and a 14 yard reverse and now he's getting punished for it? You've gotta be kidding me. I had a longer post written, but I'm not even going to justify this kind of crap with a response. If some people still get their kicks from doubting Chad Jackson, then so be it.

Well said BM. The kid is going to be fine.

That being said however, he isn't going to have the starter's job handed to him either, he's going to have to do it BB's old fashioned way, he'll have to earn it. When that time comes and he does earn it, he'll be a better receiver for it in the long run - and we'll really be singing his praises.

IndyKen said:
That being said however, he isn't going to have the starter's job handed to him either, he's going to have to do it BB's old fashioned way, he'll have to earn it. When that time comes and he does earn it, he'll be a better receiver for it in the long run - and we'll really be singing his praises.

Well put. CJ still isn't really a factor on 3rd downs - the group they are going with right now is Troy, Reche & Doug, with Watson lining up as a wideout at times. That's a pretty solid group right there, but I think you'll see CJ work his way into more plays as time moves on.

shirtsleeve said:
Ok, I have been waiting to say this for a while, now. It is way too early to judge CJ...yet. Wait till December. He is like every aspect of this team. A work in progress. For those of you bandwagoners and nay sayers pay close attention and temper all posts with the knowledge that I am now going to pass on to you. Do not get overly excited or dejected with the team or any aspect of it until December rolls around. This coaching staff uses the entire first three months of the season as a sort of extended training camp. Other teams play the Pats and pull out all the stops to beat them. The Pats use these games to improve certain aspects of their own game. That is not to say they dont develop game plans to beat the opponent, nor is it to say that they change up those plans to put an opponent away late in a game. Of course they do. But why else did you see the Pats feature the pass today, against one of the poorer run D's in the league? Because the passing game needed work. That is why you see close games thoughout the regular season. We've seen it over and over again throughout the BB tenure. Get used to it even if the media never will. The only exception to this was 04, and that is because the team was so solid and ahead of the rest of the league, they just ran away with it.

So, get used to it, kick back, post comments that reflect this knowledge and wait to December, when the coaches take the wraps off.
I'm not sure why noone quoted your post, but I will. You can't put it in much better than you did. Well said.

Doesn't seem like much point in trying to evaluate Jackson - one way OR another - with such little game time for him to develop. We all know that superb physical performance in college ball doesn't necessarily project into to performance in the NFL. BUT. This kid has some very good physical stats and has shown an ability to make some outstanding plays - that has to be grounds for some optimism until proven different.

So let's just enjoy finding out as time goes on without feeling this huge need to make premature judgments - one way OR another.

The proof on Jackson is simply where he was selected. The top 10 picks usually considered elite players ready to start in the NFL. The middle rounders are probable starters right away in the NFL and so on down the list.

If Jackson was ready for the NFL he would have ben selected in the 1st round and high at that if he was ready from the start. We got him in the 2nd round because he was not ready....Belichick would never have selected him in the 1st round if that was the case.

Anyone who thought he was ready for the pro-bowl simply was adding their own hype because we knew on draft day that Jackson was a pick for the future.

arrellbee said:
So let's just enjoy finding out as time goes on without feeling this huge need to make premature judgments - one way OR another.

Well, we can evaluate his time at UF, and based on that, Chad Jackson's upside is pretty damn high.

F.B.N. said:
The proof on Jackson is simply where he was selected. The top 10 picks usually considered elite players ready to start in the NFL. The middle rounders are probable starters right away in the NFL and so on down the list.

If Jackson was ready for the NFL he would have ben selected in the 1st round and high at that if he was ready from the start. We got him in the 2nd round because he was not ready....Belichick would never have selected him in the 1st round if that was the case.

Anyone who thought he was ready for the pro-bowl simply was adding their own hype because we knew on draft day that Jackson was a pick for the future.

troy brown was never destined to be this good then..picked round 8...how about Jimmy Smith or Rod Smith? not nfl ready? they sure turned out great. it depends on needs and how a team views him. teams had bigger needs than a WR. if he didnt suffer an injury you never would be saying that

arrellbee said:
I'm not sure why noone quoted your post, but I will. You can't put it in much better than you did. Well said.

Doesn't seem like much point in trying to evaluate Jackson - one way OR another - with such little game time for him to develop. We all know that superb physical performance in college ball doesn't necessarily project into to performance in the NFL. BUT. This kid has some very good physical stats and has shown an ability to make some outstanding plays - that has to be grounds for some optimism until proven different.

Thanks, Bee, for the comment. It just gets old when you hear the nay sayers slam individuals so early. It gets just as old to hear the bandwagoners buying tickets to Miami after a win. The team is what it is, and what it is right now is a work in progress. Plenty to be happy about today, plenty to work on before next week.

F.B.N. said:

The kid on YouTube who went pyscho when the Chiefs passed on Jackson at #20 thought he was pro-bowl ready :rocker:

Seriously, though, the consensus was that CJ might need more seasoning, but even then, I think most mock drafts had him going in the 1st round. A lot of talk had him as the best WR in the draft, the fact that teams draft strictly for need means sometimes talent gets passed for position.

I personally think BB might be trying to gear thngs up for the Indy/Chicago stretch..........I think Jackson has some work to do obviously, but it might be a case of where BB isn't going to let to much film out just yet. I believe that in the Indy game we will see alot of him and that will be his real coming out party. By the stretch run I believe our WR set will be Gabriel and Jackson in the 2 WR set....Then add Brown for the 3 WR sets ....and then either Gaffney or Caldwell when we go 4 Wr's. Caldwell just doesn't have reliable hands and doesn't make the catch unless everything is optimal.

5-1 record

Great running game.......teams try to take it away and soon, while they do this, they become vulnerable to the pass -soon we will be able to make them pay.

QB rating 112 - 195 yards, 18/27 2 TD's no picks -

WIP = Work in progress, that is what we are seeing. I have been saying that all along, as the receivers and Brady continue their game by game improvement the offense will get better and better.

As of now here is what we have (in no particular order).

Troy Brown - a known clutch, mistake free class act. I never worry about Troy and the simple plan here is to keep him healthy and not allow him to wear down. Will be very much needed come playoff time.

Chad Jackson - rookie supreme. I like what I am seeing so far - all things considered (injury, lack of play time, rookie etc) I thought today was big for him. He is learning from an experienced group and all of them are very good role models for Chad. He will absolutely evolve over time. He has it all, good hands, great speed, decent size and seems to be getting it now.

Reche Caldwell - 5 yard Reche, when you need 5 - Reche is your man. I still have a hard time trying to figure out how well he will do.

Doug Gabriel - a steal for a 5th rounder, really starting to see Brady / DG chemistry developing. He is tough, smart with impressive hands and decent speed. Love hi size.

Gaffney - Look where he has played and who has thrown to him - in spite of all of that, he has been successful. Watch what will happen when a guy named Brady starts throwing to him. He will feel as if he died and went to heaven. Those doubting this guy will be pleasantly surprised.

We are 5-1 and this has been accomplished with a limited passing attack (due to conditions above and beyond their control). Is there any doubt that our best offensive football is in front of us?

Is there anybody that wants us to peak now (hello Indy) as opposed to peaking in Jan/Feb??

What more could you ask for given the hand that was dealt?

Kdo5 said:
To me it doesnt look like the Patriots are too desperate. Brown, Gabriel, Caldwell...all are solid recievers. Jackson will be a good reciever and possibly a great reciever. And soon another very solid reciever will get time, Gaffney. How about the fact that Chad has been injured, hasnt had all the time in the world to get comfortable with Brady? Made what...2 training camp practices? 0 Preseason games? You are so foolish......

......You are pretty lame, what a joke for a thread.

Let's not get personal.

Chad is on a team where WR depth just does not exist. If we had the same WR depth as last year, I would not be as concerned. I find it discomforting that he can not beat out Brown (FYI he is one of the best Pats of all time) and Reche. Gabriel is a legit NFL WR but is not a number one. These are facts that can not be disputed.

Unlike other positions, WR's can make an impact right away. I recall Deion Branch, a late 2nd round pick in 2002, having a major impact went Troy Brown went down early in the season. I know Troy (8th round) and David Givens (7th round) developed slowly but they were late round picks. Second round picks should not be sliding down the depth chart when a huge hole exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back