Chad Company

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFanInVa

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
With the discussions afoot about Branch's deal getting done or not getting done, it occurs to me that I'm simultaneously seeing rave reviews about the Tommy-Chad connection in the making.

Of course, the effect could be press-magnified... but what happens to all the talk about "#1 money" a season down the road, if Branch ends up not even being the #1 guy in a spread attack, and comes back down to earth?

What if Chad Jackson does have that monster season out of the gate? The Pats have the luxury of watching for a year and reevaluating. Branch has to gamble that his stock hasn't fallen by then.... he'll be two years removed from MVP, and possibly the number 2 guy on a spread offense.

Maybe the deal doesn't get done this offseason... but if I were Deion, I'd be more rather than less reasonable, and get my butt into camp, in light of the circumstances.

PFnV

Last edited:
It would be great if Jackson had a "monster" season, but the odds are stacked against it, the whole rookie WR learning curve and all.

Personally, I don't make much of anything that happens in these mini-camps. Brady is gonna rave about Jackson and any other teammate, so I'm not sure we can read a whole lot into whatever he says about Jackson after a short camp. Also, these camps aren't anything like game situations.

So bottom line, Jackson has a lot to prove before anyone can legitimately mention him in the same breath as Branch in terms of skill and production. He may end up being the next big thing WR wise, it's just too early to tell.

not likely after what Givens got

I don't see Branch coming cheap or even all that reasonable after the unreasonable amount paid to Givens.

Just my 2 cents

What's 'reasonable' under the new salary cap structure has changed.

When the total cap went up, but rookie salaries and veteran minimums were essentially fixed at prior levels, the increase essentially goes to the top players. The market for starters is now more expensive, but each team has more money to pay them.

This is off topic, but I am currently in Viriginia and wondering If 'PatsVaFan' has noticed an increase in Pats fans around Virginia like I have. Clearly, most are NE transplants, but I have seen an uptick of people publicly acknowledging their team. How about you?

On topic: I think Deion will ONLY get signed when he approaches the Pats numbers, or they will keep him cheap for another year and replace him. Chad or Reche or somebody else.

I feel like the Pats make a token olive branch of some kind and Deion signs for less. Otherwise, he is gone next year......

Pats win superbowls with some 2nd tier players on offense, this is nothing new.

Last edited by a moderator:
5 Rings for Brady!! said:
This is off topic, but I am currently in Viriginia and wondering If 'PatsVaFan' has noticed an increase in Pats fans around Virginia like I have. Clearly, most are NE transplants, but I have seen an uptick of people publicly acknowledging their team. How about you?

On topic: I think Deion will ONLY get signed when he approaches the Pats numbers, or they will keep him cheap for another year and replace him. Chad or Reche or somebody else.

I feel like the Pats make a token olive branch of some kind and Deion signs for less. Otherwise, he is gone next year......

Pats win superbowls with some 2nd tier players on offense, this is nothing new.

Off topic with the original thread but on topic with your response. I find it rather comical, but cool at the same time. I live in far northern california. All of the fans I grew up with around here in my schools either sported Raiders, 49ers, or you know the Cowboys and Packers jerseys. I remember always being made fun of by teachers and students alike because I was a DIE HARD pats fan back when they were only winning 1 game a yr. I always always made fun of. Well, I moved away after I graduated HS, and two yrs ago I went back to visit my mother. I went into our local sports fever store in the mall and they had no pats stuff. I hazed the store owner a bit on why he didnt carry a 3 time SB champs memorabilia, and he told me that he cant keep the stuff in stock because sooooo many people buy it the second it comes out. I was shocked to say the least. I ended up seeing my 8th grade teacher at a store in that same mall. First thing he brings up to me after all these yrs. is "How about the PATRIOTS?" He ended up taking me out to the bar and we talked football for hrs. Sorry, I know Im way off topic. That memory though will never leave me. Pats fans are everywhere now. If they keep this up, I am sure we are all going to be seeing an influx of new pats fans in our neighborhoods.
Back to the original thread topic. Deion is going to hold out, a contract is goin to be done, and everything is going to be fine. IMO. I just cant wait for the pre-season. I havent been this excited about a Patriots rookie class in yrs. This pre-season we could be seeing the absolute future of our offense. It's going to be an exciting time.

Also off subject

I was in Hoover Alabama a week or so ago doing a story on high school football. I've got my Patriots hat on, the one with the old logo. Anyway I'm seeing all these kids around town with Patriots shirts and hats on. At first I don't think anything of it because another high school close to here is the Homewood Patriots.
However these kids keep asking me where they can buy a hat like mine. Then they keep asking me if Chad has a hat like mine. Finally after a couple of hours, someone clues me in that Chad Jackson, the Pats second round pick, went to high school somewhere close to hear.
That young man has an army of "homies" down there that think he's the greatest. They all promised me he was going to tear it up this year.

re

PFnV,

I am EXTREMELY excited about the Chad Jackson era.

I have a feeling, based on his work in college, his physical tools, his hands, and his potential, that he could make an immediate impact this year (50 catches 800 yards 8 TD's in year 1, with an unlimited ceiling after that).

Also, kudos to Piolichick for the possibility of lowering Branch's negotiating leverage for next year.

Some nice stories there!

Still waiting to here from my fellow Viriginian!

Hey there 5Rings! I could see the "only admitting it now" hypothesis coming into play. I ripped apart my old red Pats jersey in 1986 in the heat of disgust, and never bought one subsequently until my Brady jersey AFTER Super Bowl XXXVI. You could find me every Sunday for the last 30+ years either going to games (in the early years, I would go to Memorial Stadium every year to watch us beat the Colts,) or far more frequently glued to a TV trying to catch Pats games when I could, or highlights when I couldn't, or watching the Phins or Jets, and rooting for whoever needed to beat them for our benefit -- whatever. I just wasn't quite so PUBLIC until, well, the Belichick era.

Also, I'm in Northern VA, and if that's the part you're seeing, bear in mind it's part of the DC Metroplex, where EVERYBODY is from somewhere else, and you're my homie if you're from north of Honduras. You see all kinds of team paraphernalia around here, so it's hard to tell. I saw SB 36 at a Capitol Hill bar that isn't really a Pats bar, and it was PACKED with Pats fans (then the next time out against Carolina, I went to a yuppie bar where nobody gave a crap about anything, but most people were Carolina fans, for the night.)

My greatest fear is that the Redskins actually ARE good now, which will mean every obnoxious Redskins fan in existence talking about their storied franchise and singing "scalp em stompum whompum we want heap more" at the top of their lungs in every watering hole showing the games.

Except, of course, Murphy's in Alexandria, our local Pats bar (gonna check that place out this year!)

PFnV

PS - yeah rookie sensation receivers are few and far between... but with the recent behavior of SanTonioSoprano, it looks like we have the best shot at one this year!

reasons why Chad Jackson will make a huge impact:

1. Givens is gone
2. Caldwell can be beat out for the #2 position
3. Has outstanding measurables
4. What other wide out will Brady throw to besides Branch?
5. Troy Brown is near the end

Mark my words, Jackson probably won't have Randy Moss type rookie season because Brady likes to get everybody involved, however Jackson will contend for rookie of the year honors.

Last edited:
Ochmed Jones said:
Finally after a couple of hours, someone clues me in that Chad Jackson, the Pats second round pick, went to high school somewhere close to hear.
That young man has an army of "homies" down there that think he's the greatest. They all promised me he was going to tear it up this year.

Funny ****. Or did you mean his "posse" ?

THEARCHIVES said:
reasons why Chad Jackson will make a huge impact:

1. Givens is gone
2. Caldwell can be beat out for the #2 position
3. Has outstanding measurables
4. What other wide out will Brady throw to besides Branch?
5. Troy Brown is near the end
6. #17 is one of the Tightest numbers in the game
Please, let us not forget the crucial tightness factor.
:singing:

NEM said:
I think that so called "rookie learning curve" is blown way out of whack. Terry Glenn had no problem, and neither did many other great college receivers in their first year in the NFL.

But, if you dont take advantage of their skills, and dont throw them the ball, how the hell will they ever learn.....

Same thing with this crap about teams with "playoff experience" do better in the playoffs, Thats a lot of crap...these guys are pros, they have come through a full season, and in the playoffs its still the same freakin game...use the talent of the players, no matter if it s their first, second or tenth playoff game, and you willcome out fine.

Jackson has the potential tobe a great one, but we will never find out if they dont throw him the freakin ball.

Look at the two guys in AZ, Boldin and Fitzgerald.....they had the ball thrown to them over and over and over again...they had no LEARNing curve...... iF YUO have a qb with the ability to get them the ball, they will catch it...PLAIN AND SIMPLE, and of course, an offensive coordinator with the intelligence to see it, and do it. Like ME. :D

I agree. Tell them what you want them to do and make them learn correctly.

Then it's just pitch and catch. Everything about WRs is over rated.

Run the right route, look for the ball, catch it, YAK.:D

Last edited:
T-ShirtDynasty said:
Please, let us not forget the crucial tightness factor.
:singing:

Your right about that! He looks tight because he's pitch black and has a mini phro. He also wears diamond earings. He is probably the tightest looking reciever in the league along with Chad Johnson and T.O. But 17 is not a tight number because WR's don't normally wear that number. He should wear anything in the 80's, I don't care what, just something in the 80's.

THEARCHIVES said:
Your right about that! He looks tight because he's pitch black and has a mini phro. He also wears diamond earings. He is probably the tightest looking reciever in the league along with Chad Johnson and T.O. But 17 is not a tight number because WR's don't normally wear that number. He should wear anything in the 80's, I don't care what, just something in the 80's.
THAT's what moves it from plain tightness to uber-tightness. Mark my words... Jackson will be the most uberest-tightest player in the league. You heard it here first.

GO #17!!!!!!! See the tightness, feel the tightness, be the tightness. Chad Jackson, thy name is tightness.

May the tightness be with you.

The list of 1st round WRs who fail to live up to expectations is a long one - as is the list of 2nd round picks. (see John Clayton's column this week if you need to be reminded that the rookie learning curve is not a myth http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2448029)

Chad Jackson has the benefit that he DOESN'T have the pressure of a 1st round pick riding on him, but nearly ALL rookie WRs need significant time to grow into their potential.

I have high hopes for Chad Jackson, in that he has #1 WR skills. I was a big proponent of drafting him in the 1st round, but I am still realistic about rookie WRs.

If we see Jackson begin to show #2 WR numbers by the END OF THE SEASON we should be very satisfied with what we have, knowing that he enters 2007 prepared to be a bigger contributor.

We should NOT have ANY expectation that he can step in as a #2 WR at the beginning of the season - let alone the #1 WR.

Last edited:
The #1 REASON WHY CHAD JACKSON WILL HAVE AN IMMEDIATE IMPACT....

Belichick and pioli had the oppurtunity trade up and nab santonio holmes who was regarded as the best reciever of this class, but they didnt. I've come to the conclusion the the pats chose chad jackson because hes shown the ability to quickly learn multiple offenses in college, wich will make his transition easier. hes played in spurriers fun and gun offense averaging big yards as a deep threat outside receiver and hes played in urban mayers complex offence (somewhat similar to weis offense)where he played the slot. there was an article a couple of weeks ago with Brady being asking why is it difficult for a reciever to catch on in his rookie year, his answer was that a reciever has to learn the responsibilities of each WR position. That means he has to learn the X, and Y recievers duty (wich hes done in college) and the slot (which he also productively done in college).
Chad jackson's mesurabules are overwelming but its his ability to catch on to different offenses especially an offense similar to weis' that caught the attention of Belioli. I think if he starts on day one hell be a nominee of offensive rookie of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes