PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chad calls out afc east db's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clip made me laugh. He's going to be great for us.

The Jets exploited our lack of a breakaway receiver last year by single covering our wideouts succesfully. If he can make a team pay for that, I'm all for it.

I became a big fan of Moss's incredible athletic ability, but think that, ultimately, he distorted our defense making us one dimensional and more defensible as the season and playoffs went on.

I like our offense last year, and in Super Bowl years, because we had multiple receivers, but our lack of big play runners/receivers was exploited by a very good defensive coach in Ryan. If Johnson can be a young deion Branch type as far as big play ability and versatility, I'm fine with it, it's what we need.

As long as he's a team player, he can bungee jump from the John Han**** building on his days off, I don't care. What people consider entertaining is subjective anyway.
If you are talking about the first meeting we had the 'dep threat' in Moss.
If you are talking about thr playoff game, what are you talking about? They didnt single cover, they dropped 8 and played zone.

If you are talking about the first meeting we had the 'dep threat' in Moss.
If you are talking about thr playoff game, what are you talking about? They didnt single cover, they dropped 8 and played zone.

I believe they played single coverage on Branch and Tate in the playoffs, but I'm going by what the announcers for the game said, I didn't tape the game and go over it.

Last edited:
I believe they played single coverage on Branch and Tate in the playoffs, but I'm going by what the announcers for the game said, I didn't tape the game and go over it.
No. They mostly played zone. They were often using 6-7 DBs also.

cromartie's an afc east cb? lol

No. They mostly played zone. They were often using 6-7 DBs also.

Well, I don't have tape here, I saw some man on Branch and read the papers. I read an article in Projo that agreed with you and this article which didn't.

The main gist of this was they clogged the middle to break up our crossing patterns and my comment was that having
Tate beat man coverage (Revis is tough to beat) would have helped break that clog. As I've stated before, having a more dynamic option out of the backfield would have punished them for dropping so many in coverage too.

For what it's worth, an article about the Jets scheme that day with quotes from Revis.

...But then Jets coach Rex Ryan and defensive coordinator Mike Pettine went back to the drawing board and cooked up a scheme that shook up Brady, took out his receivers, and in turn, stifled the offense during the 28-21 loss to Gang Green in the AFC divisional round Jan. 16...

Jets Pro Bowl corner Darrelle Revis, who played a pivotal role in making the defensive scheme work by effectively blanketing Deion Branch, believes others will certainly give it a look, and a try.

Essentially, the Jets had Revis and Antonio Cromartie play the outside receivers man-to-man, while the other defenders in coverage worked the middle in matchup zone. Whether it was Branch or Wes Welker or wunderkind tight ends Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski or Danny Woodhead coming out of the backfield, the Patriots receivers had a tough time finding space to get open...

“We felt confident in what we wanted to do,” Revis said. “We just wanted to make those (receivers) uncomfortable...

The Jets made it difficult because when Brady looked to his first, second and often third read, those receivers were often covered. That forced Brady to serve up his first interception since Week 6..
Darrelle Revis: Gameplan vs. Patriots bound to be copied - BostonHerald.com

Last edited:
Seen this one before. Still funny as s&%t. :rofl: Chad has always been very entertaining. Still a bit wary, but, let's get this goin'.:eat3:

Weel, I don't have tape here, I saw some man on Branch and read the papers. I read an article in Projo that agreed with you and this article which didn't.

The main gist of this was they clogged the middle to break up our crossing patterns and my comment was that having
Tate beat man coverage (Revis is tough to beat) would have helped break that clog. As I've stated before, having a more dynamic option out of the backfield would have punished them for dropping so many in coverage too.

For what it's worth, an article about the Jets scheme that day with quotes from Revis.

Darrelle Revis: Gameplan vs. Patriots bound to be copied - BostonHerald.com
OK, believe what you want. I will trust my own eyes over Karen Guregian's article. Revis is the same guy in 2009 who said he covered Moss without help all day when the film showed a safety OFTEN over the top, so I wouldn't expect him to be forthright in giving away their strategy.
But thats fine, accept my opinion, or reject it, your choice, no problem.

OK, believe what you want. I will trust my own eyes over Karen Guregian's article. Revis is the same guy in 2009 who said he covered Moss without help all day when the film showed a safety OFTEN over the top, so I wouldn't expect him to be forthright in giving away their strategy.
But thats fine, accept my opinion, or reject it, your choice, no problem.

As I said, I don't have tape. I'm sure he had help covering Moss, but i don't doubt he handled Branch in tight coverage, it was shown quite often in the game.

Either way, I wasn't really trying to make a point of how often their corners were in man or zone coverage, my point was that athletic plays by our receivers and or running backs could have got them out of their comfort zone.

Last edited:
All kidding aside, you should hear Charlie Weis, Belichick and TFB at training camp. Not the kind of talk we can print here.

Bill, Charlie & Tom drop their bombs on their own players/teammates.

Ochostinko drops his bombs on opponents who have OWNED him the last 3 years.
He's great at talking the talk; not so much at walking the walk,
which I thought was the real Patriot Way.

This guy's got to be slightly ******ed, or psychotically delusional.

Chad Ochocinco Stats - Cincinnati Bengals - ESPN

He didn't play a full season in 2 of those years. Every other year? OVER 1000 yards...maybe your the one that's "slightly ******ed, or psychotically delusional."

I don't know why people have to take this clip so seriously. Now that Chad is a Patriot- you can bet you won't see another clip like this. Chad is a clown. A jokester. Remember last year when he warned the Patriots that if he scored at Gillette that he would fire one of the minuteman muskets for a TD celebration? He's friggin hilarious.
Despite how bad the Bengals have been for years- Chad always seemed to play hard and keep a positive attitude. Not easy if you're a Bengal.
He respects BB and the Patriot way. He's a hard worker and he's brash. Good! Psyched about this trade.

I don't understand everyones obsession with deep threats. When have we ever won a Super Bowl with a deep threat?

It depends on what you consider a 'deep threat', doesn't it? In 2001, Patten had the ability to stretch the field and threaten both the middle and deep areas of the field. In 2003, they had both Patten and Givens (more of an occasional/rare threat, but occasionally capable). In 2004, they had Patten and Givens, and Johnson's speed was enough to keep defenses back if they didn't want to risk getting burned.

However, as I've noted before, this is not the same team as the 2001-2004 squads. This team is built around the offense, not the defense. It's a different team, a different system, and a different set of needs for each side of the ball. It's not dominated by a power running game and a punishing defense. It's dominated by a precision offense.

That makes a difference in personnel requirements.

Do you like any moves that BB makes? you seem to be very sour about him for a fan of the team.

I calls 'em as I sees 'em. But whenever Bill makes a move that I do like, I give him credit.
Unfortunately, this Ochostinko move isn't one of 'em. A 5th- & a 6th-rounder is overpayment,
a 3-year extension is 2 years too many, and his presence in this lockerroom
(where only 6 players, incl. Light, have won a SB), in addition to fellow knucklehead Haynesworth,
will eventually become cancerous.

That is a great point. He was OWNED! Or Pwned, however that expression works...he wasn't good. I saw him in an interview talking about how he's the "best WR in the league"....HA HA HA...are you kidding me? He's a delusional narcissist and when things don't go HIS way, watch out. Declining skills and delusional narcisism don't go well together...when Revis shuts him down completely what is he going to do? Remember that game when he said if revis shut him down, he'd change his name back? He got shut out and that was over a year ago, I believe.

I calls 'em as I sees 'em. But whenever Bill makes a move that I do like, I give him credit.
Unfortunately, this Ochostinko move isn't one of 'em. A 5th- & a 6th-rounder is overpayment,
a 3-year extension is 2 years too many, and his presence in this lockerroom
(where only 6 players, incl. Light, have won a SB), in addition to fellow knucklehead Haynesworth,
will eventually become cancerous.

I think you and many other people are making judgements on the guy without doing your research. If you were to follow Chad (and yes, there's a subtle twitter reference here), you would know that he is actually a stand-up guy. Principled and a hard worker, he's not the "cancerous" type that you seem to think he is. This video aside, which is not only funny but also shows his hard working personality, being loud does not mean someone is cancerous and I think that's the logical error that many uninformed people are making about the guy.

I think he's going to fall in line with the Patriot way quite nicely. He's waited a long time for this opportunity.

And to the post above. I don't think anyone is saying he is great. I am certainly not. And I don't think he provides that huge deep threat. I think he is an excellent intermediate route possession receiver, kind of like a glorified and slightly more dangerous Branch. And I don't think that's a bad thing.

And for a time, yes, Chad was the best WR in the league. With that said, that was years ago, as was his self-procclaimation, and I think his loudness will be turned down with BB and I think it will be easy for him because finally the guy will be winning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye