PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chad Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

smg93

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Assuming we get more Inside LB help through the draft or Free Agency, do you think that a move back to his original Outside LB spot will let him be able to perform to the level BB and Pioli thought he could last year? How do you think he'll do or was last year the only year Chad wears a Patriots uniform?

If Willie indeed is cut, and not resigned somehow, then an outside position just opened up.

Those are big shoes to fill.

Chad Brown is 6-2 and 245#
Willie is 6-5 and 270#
That's a fairly significant difference. Willie drops to a down stance and seals the corner very well which is a big plus for the Pats. It is also one of the reasons why defenses have a hard time with Willie since he presents different blocking requirements depending on how he sets up.

Vrable and Colvin are in the middle size and weight, altho Colvin is not much taller or heavier (6-3 and 250#)

CT_Pats_Fan said:
If Willie indeed is cut, and not resigned somehow, then an outside position just opened up.
I would assume we'd be looking at Vrabel and Colvin outside with Brown as the backup and finding a new ILB partner for Bruschi. Vrabel was good inside but his strength is still his athleticism outside.

Chad Brown stinks.At least he did last year, and that's a fact.

Chad was brought in to a complex system and, due to injury, forced to play inside, which clearly was not a good match for his skill-set. He improved later in the year when he was shifted outside. I'd definitely take a flyer on him as strictly a depth OLB, but I'd be fine if they cut him, as well.

CrazyDave said:
Chad Brown stinks.At least he did last year, and that's a fact.
He had to play ILB thans to TJ's retirement and our ILB is different from Pittsburgh's. I suspect he'd be an OK backup OLB for a year.

What about TBC at OLB??? Just another option.

He misses a LOT of tackles. I don't know if a positional change can help that.

I'd rather see him cut and use the $1mil savings to help sign a younger FA.

PATSNUTme said:
I'd rather see him cut and use the $1mil savings to help sign a younger FA.

Now you're talkin'. Makes much more sense to me.

CrazyDave said:
He misses a LOT of tackles. I don't know if a positional change can help that.

Oh, like that openfield tackle he "missed" in the Denver (playoff) game which stopped a galloping Rod Smith on 3rd down?

Now you're talkin'. Makes much more sense to me.

And what will that do? Leave Ryan Claridge, TBC, Eric Alexander, and "the young guy" to back up? What if Bruschi, Colvin, or Vrabel go down?

So..you'd rather have Eric Alexander as a backup LB than Chad Brown.

O.K.....

178 career NFL games to 4 career NFL games (or 0 if you see Ryan Claridge in there instead of Alexander for Brown).

People need to lay off the guy. He was a speed-rushing OLB, and a damn good one at that, in his days with Seattle. The Pats expected him to be what Colvin was last year - the 3rd OLB. He was signed after Bruschi's stroke, but before Ted Johnson's retirement. Until Bruschi came back, Brown was the #1 MLB, a position he never held in his career. When Bruschi returned and Vrabel was moved inside, Brown was put back into the role the Patriots wanted him in. Thus, he started to perform fairly well near the end of the season and into the playoffs - at OLB.

The same can be said about Beisel. Surely, the Pats didn't see him starting at MLB for the first time in his career to start the season, in his first year with a new team. That's suicide for 99% of players. Expecting him to be a legitimate starter after a conversion while still learning a new defense is absolutely crazy. Now the Pats have him back in the desired role - learning behind Vrabel and Bruschi at MLB.

Last edited:
pats1 said:
Oh, like that openfield tackle he "missed" in the Denver (playoff) game which stopped a galloping Rod Smith on 3rd down?

For every tackle he made, he missed 3. All year long (until they benched him for a while).

And what will that do? Leave Ryan Claridge, TBC, Eric Alexander, and "the young guy" to back up? What if Bruschi, Colvin, or Vrabel go down?

So..you'd rather have Eric Alexander as a backup LB than Chad Brown.

Yes, I would. I have nothing against the guy personally, but I know what I saw. He does'nt tackle. Biesel is no better.

I think he may play a different role in 06. remember, when they signed him TedJ hadn't retired; I think their plan of having him play ILB wasn't a good one; basically he was out of position...doing the kinds of things he doesn't excel in. If they do keep him, my hope is he's outside, filling in and doing more of what he is best in.

CrazyDave said:
pats1 said:

For every tackle he made, he missed 3. All year long (until they benched him for a while).

Benched him? They benched him because Bruschi returned, not because he was "missing so many tackles." Give me some evidence. I'm sure Box will support me in saying Brown didn't blatantly miss tackles and wasn't that bad when he started for Tedy the first 6 weeks.

Hell, even Tedy didn't look like himself on tape down the stretch. His motor ran like normal, but he was knocked down many, many times.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey