PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chad Brown signed; Spann, Nordin, J. Smith cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many players we have over 30 is 100% irrelevant as long as the process is in place to move them out and talented young players move in. So Brown, Vinny, Seau, et al, are on the team - unless they're the core of the team, which they aren't, I don't care.

I don't care that you don't care.

It's a tough one...camp should be interesting...maybe they can find future seus, Browns??? Ones that will be there in a few years...I also agree they need to look at the future at LB...

Don't forget, Davis is gone. That's one more SP/LB spot for a youngster.

I don't care that you don't care.
Well whatever. I know you're a better fan than me (longer, more effort, etc) but you continually use numbers to make the Patriots look bad or don't bother presenting the pro Patriots' side. Whatever, your choice. I don't get it and I don't question your being a Patriots' fan for a second - but I don't get the slant you often provide. I think you're overcompensating to not be a homer. Regardless, a simple number of players over 30 is worthless and misleading without additional analysis.

How many players we have over 30 is 100% irrelevant as long as the process is in place to move them out and talented young players move in. So Brown, Vinny, Seau, et al, are on the team - unless they're the core of the team, which they aren't, I don't care.

LB is the only position on the team where I have an age concern of any kind.

We have a lot of old depth and that really doesn't matter . if Gay and wilson shake injuries, we're talented and young in the secondary.

LB starters are older than average, though, not including the AARP backups.

To jump in on this burgeoning controversy, QB Prime, young. TE's 2/3 young. Starting RB young hback young. Receivers, young (4 or 5). OL young talented 1 in prime.

DL young and awesome. Secondary young, if Gay, Wilson healthy.

Linebackers old.

I'd say we averaged younger, but were functionally older a few years ago. Most of our real old players are depth. Only Bruschi among starters.

Last edited:
We have a lot of old depth and that really doesn't matter . if Gay and wilson shake injuries, we're talented and young in the secondary.

LB starters are older than average, though, not including the AARP backups.
That's all I was trying to say - other than LB we could probably release every over 32 player this coming offseason and with an average FA class + all the draft picks we have not blink an eye.

Well whatever. I know you're a better fan than me (longer, more effort, etc) but you continually use numbers to make the Patriots look bad or don't bother presenting the pro Patriots' side. Whatever, your choice. I don't get it and I don't question your being a Patriots' fan for a second - but I don't get the slant you often provide. I think you're overcompensating to not be a homer. Regardless, a simple number of players over 30 is worthless and misleading without additional analysis.

Why tell him he's a better fan than you?

Why tell him he's a better fan than you?
LOL, well he is. I just watch the games and post here - he goes to WAY more effort with his cap page, season tickets, going to some away games. He puts more time and effort in, he just does. I just don't get some of the posts :confused:

My questions concerning our LBs remain: Who will replace our present, should injuries occur? Who is our future? If our LBs are the brains/heart of the defense, then why haven't any been drafted on the first day (to begin immersion in The Patriot Way) since 1999?

Adding Adalius Thomas is terrific; adding Chad Brown is not-so-terrific. We need to add yutes, through the draft, on the first day, esp. at ILB.

Lua stays to develop as ST/ILB. Woods stays as ST/OLB. Rogers has an outside shot to stay, but if cut both he and Bissinger will be PS candidates.

If we look at the career arcs of Tedy Bruschi and Mike Vrabel, we're looking at great players who filled smaller roles before developing into SB champs. Maybe one of the above has potential to play a similar role, to go along with a top draft pick next year.

Hey, it can happen.

I'm a bit surprised to see a cut at CB as well... especially given the high potential for a Samuel hold-out... meanwhile we've got three guys at RB who look to be cuts or PS fodder - Justise Hairston, Quinton Smith, Quadtrine Hill

I'm sure I'm reading too much into this but it almost seems like depth at RB is more of a priority right now than depth at CB, even given the Samuel situation. Let's hope that doesn't have anything to do with Maroney's health.

People, the cuts are SO early with so many players still at each position that reading the tea leaves is an exercize in futility.

Chad Brown... again?
Well he's a veteran alright.
But he hasn't been exactly inspiring.
At least we don't have to count on him to start.
Strictly backup LB methinks.

Chad Brown... again?
Well he's a veteran alright.
But he hasn't been exactly inspiring.
At least we don't have to count on him to start.
Strictly backup LB methinks.

C'mon VJC you know you want to add Chad Brown to that checklist of yours.;)

You must have watched different games than everyone else. Mays was the equivalent of Dexter Reid back there. It seemed like every game there'd be a penalty on special teams it it was Mays number being called. I was NOT impressed with him. In fact, Pierre Woods was significantly better than Mays. Mays had all of 6 special teams tackles and 2 assisted tackles in the 8 games he played in. Woods, who played in 9 games, had 15 special teams tackles.

I agree completely. Unless multiple injuries occur, Corey Mays does not deserve to be an LB of the NEP.

I've seen what Mays, Izzo and Alexander bring to the party, and it aint much.

It's time to see what Woods, Rogers and Lua are holding.

Oh, and by the way, earlier this week the Raiders signed Isaiah Kacyvenski, a superior performer to both Mays and Izzo, combined.

It might be the alcohol talking, but it just occurred to me: Why is it that we look at players being over 30 usually as a liability? I mean, sure, there's a drop off in speed and athleticism, but being a veteran of so many years brings along with it a game savvy that rookies and first year vets can only dream about. Maybe Belichick likes his veteran linebackers because they've been around so long. If that's the case, then Rogers, Alexander and Woods are long term projects, but I get a feeling that Lua was drafted to play this season.

But yeah, Alcohol, thinking...

Well whatever. I know you're a better fan than me (longer, more effort, etc)

I never once said/posted/thought that I am a better fan than anyone. I have said that I fulfill my definition of a fan.
Let's look at the original post.

"with troy, chad brown, seau, and testerverde on the roster we will probably be the oldest team on paper"

When someone uses the phrase "on paper", it pretty muchs means to me without analysis. I was agreeing with that. Whether or not you care about the topic, this is a discussion board and patsgo and I should be able to comment on a Patriots-related board on a topic relating to the Patriots. You should be able to say that you do not care and I should be able to say that I do not care that you do not care. The average age of the Patriots roster is interesting to me. And it is interesting to Pat Kirwan.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10263096

but you continually use numbers to make the Patriots look bad or don't bother presenting the pro Patriots' side.

This is BS. When was the last time I have criticized the Patriots front office??
In 2003 after the Milloy release. When was the last time I criticized the Patriots draft?? In 2002.

Please tell me when the last 3 times I used numbers to make the Patriots look bad. I have been a fan of the Patriots' front office ever since they came aboard. On the Patriots mailing list I was a member of the BB Brigade, defending BBPioli's moves against the now-defunct Doom and Gloom Brigade. In 2002 I was predicting that the Patriots would be the 1st team to 3peat. I have continually said since then that the Patriots' front office is among the best in the NFL.

LOL, well he is. I just watch the games and post here - he goes to WAY more effort with his cap page, season tickets, going to some away games. He puts more time and effort in, he just does. I just don't get some of the posts :confused:

Why not tell sebman1212 the reason I have posted that I have gone to some away games?? I was answering those who questioned my Patriots fandom.

Why not tell sebman1212 the reason I have posted that I have gone to some away games?? I was answering those who questioned my Patriots fandom.
Miguel...no one should question that..at least I think so...and actually MANY if not all do not.

As for Jonathon Smith, per Reiss, he's now in Buffalo picked up on waivers. The jets TRIED to claim him as well, but he goes to Buffalo because of their worse 06 record. NOT at all a surprise as he yo-yo back to Buffalo at teh start of last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back