PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chad Brown signed; Spann, Nordin, J. Smith cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Sorry Capt., you're thinking a bit narrowly there. Relative to other positions, TE is deep.

Yes Watson, Brady, Thomas, & Kranchik are the only "true" TEs remaining after Nordin. That still leaves Vrabel, Mills, Hochstein, Britt, and Oldenburg as situational TEs, and Evans took practice reps as an emergency TE last season.

Relative to the other positions on the team only WR and S would appear to be deeper than TE given that 7 of the 10 "TEs" listed above have actually lined up as TEs in a game for the Pats or another NFL team, and two of the remaining three have done so at the Div. 1A college level. Who knows, maybe Adalius Thomas will start showing up at TE too.

I think it's also fair to ponder the shadow roster when considering depth. Fauria and Jed Weaver are former Pats, neither of whom are currently signed to a team, that's two players who at least know the system, whatever their age/skill shortcomings might be. I would think it unlikely for anyone to pick up Nordin at this point, he's not a 6'6" monster/speed burner that seems to be people's conception of a TE in the NFL, he's at least had rookie & mini-camps and time to learn the playbook a bit. That's three players who could be considered if the crap hit the fan. Nordin could even be yo-yoed on and off the Practice Squad once it's formed.

2) As for your "space-wasters," Malone is an NFLE exemption, cut him and your not addressing the off-season roster limits. Those young WRs have a shot at the Practice Squad, Fast Freddy doesn't, until someone does sign him he's on the Shadow Roster. Gemara Williams has been re-signed by the Pats, at least twice...must be some kind of "there" there; the kid was a NCAA leader in passes defensed his senior season.

1) Point taken, Mr. Box, regarding all the others with TE experience. With only 80 + NFLE exemptions allowed on a TC roster, versatility - and health - are a valued commodity.
p.s.: Was it that long ago that TC rosters could exceed 100? With no NFLE next year, perhaps an increase of TC rosters to 90 would be appropriate.

2) Point again on Malone's NFLE exemption. Stupid of me to forget it.
p.s.: If I were an exec, I would have sent the max # of yutes to NFLE as allowed (was that 10?), so I could increase my TC roster thusly.

Respectfully disagree re: Jones and Dunlap. But J Smith would have been my 3rd WR out the door, anyway.

I'm no Spann fan, but he does have something that Williams doesn't: an extra 4" of height. No real biggie, since neither will be in uniform on Opening Day...unless catastrophe strikes.

with troy, chad brown, seau, and testerverde on the roster we will probably be the oldest team on paper

I think that you are right. That would be 18 players over the age of 30 on the roster. No team started the 2006 season with that many 30+ players on their roster.

maybe a LOT of different things..I do NOT remember the PRE camp cuts being looked at as closely as these were...maybe the 05 cuts..when competition is better, I really believe the team ends up with a much better product.

I agree with that 100%. It was the Alexander and TBC and no one else, that killed us. Also, I like Woods.

Still, competition can only do so much. I like having depth this year, but competing with senior citizens, (I'm sorry, but Junior and Brown are O.L.D. for NFL LBs), for one year won't turn anyone into future starters.

I can still dream they acquired those picks for our linebacker of the future, can't I?:p

Seriously doubt that.

I guess math wasn't a strong subject for you in school, if you add 35, 37, 38, and 43, on any 53 man roster the average age of all the players will go up, I don't know if any team has ages of players that old other than the pats, you can seriously doubt it, but your wrong, math for dummies books are available.

If the kids can't look good compared to a veteran in his last year or two, then maybe he is not the quality of a future starter. We now have seven veteran linebackers that can can be part of the rotation, and start if needed. This group will be a strength for the patriots. We have an 8th LB who is in his last year or two as a top STer.

The bottom line is that the kids have to prove themselves in camp, in practice and in the preseason, and ultimately on the Practice Squad. If they can beat out Seau or Brown thay can have their roster spot and their reps. Or one or both of the vets could get injured. As of now, Alexander and Woods have the remaining linebacker roster spots. Others will try to beat them out. If two developmental linebackers aren't enough, we'll keep three, plus one or two on the Practice Squad. In the end, bb will put the best linebackers he has on the field.

I agree with that 100%. It was the Alexander and TBC and no one else, that killed us. Also, I like Woods.

Still, competition can only do so much. I like having depth this year, but competing with senior citizens, (I'm sorry, but Junior and Brown are O.L.D. for NFL LBs), for one year won't turn anyone into future starters.

I can still dream they acquired those picks for our linebacker of the future, can't I?:p

It's a tough one...camp should be interesting...maybe they can find future seus, Browns??? Ones that will be there in a few years...I also agree they need to look at the future at LB...

I guess math wasn't a strong subject for you in school, if you add 35, 37, 38, and 43, on any 53 man roster the average age of all the players will go up, I don't know if any team has ages of players that old other than the pats, you can seriously doubt it, but your wrong, math for dummies books are available.

Thanks for the kind words.

I also happen to remember that 4 players is only 7.5% of a 53-man roster.

The other 92.5% of the Pats' roster happens to be rather young.

(Cassel? Maroney? Mills? Jackson? Thomas? Watson? Mankins? Koppen? O'Callaghan? Warren? Seymour? Wilfork? Green? Wright? K. Brown? L. Smith? Woods? Alexander? Mays? Samuel? Hobbs? Sanders? Meriweather? Wilson? Gostkowski?)

I think that you are right. That would be 18 players over the age of 30 on the roster. No team started the 2006 season with that many 30+ players on their roster.

There's actually 21, if you use 12/31/07 ages. That is rather high, but the core of this team remains in the 24-29 range.

The Broncos have 22 players on their roster who have/will turn at least 30 in 2007.

Rogers is not going to make the 53 this year. He needs to learn the position. He will either be on the practice squad, the IR or cut.

I think Mays may be the odd man out here, given Lua has greater potential as a backup. We have plenty of solid special teamers already.
Mays played excellent special teams last year, I would not discount him so easily. Also the 2nd year is where most players make a big jump.

How many players we have over 30 is 100% irrelevant as long as the process is in place to move them out and talented young players move in. So Brown, Vinny, Seau, et al, are on the team - unless they're the core of the team, which they aren't, I don't care.

LB is the only position on the team where I have an age concern of any kind.

Two Wha? Did you just say Yoots?

LOL! I always liked "My Cousin Vinny".

To the subject of that post...

Rey Maualuga will be that draft pick. He's got the perfect size and ability to be a complete terror on the inside in a 3-4 defense. Him and Lua are really good friends as well.

Last edited:
dang, I forget that, lol! Sorry. Honestly, I like 38 better than 31...I was hoping he'd get a good number in the 20's.
I never care about the number as long as it's a normal one - I hate WR in the teens, however.

Thanks for the kind words.

I also happen to remember that 4 players is only 7.5% of a 53-man roster.

The other 92.5% of the Pats' roster happens to be rather young.

(Cassel? Maroney? Mills? Jackson? Thomas? Watson? Mankins? Koppen? O'Callaghan? Warren? Seymour? Wilfork? Green? Wright? K. Brown? L. Smith? Woods? Alexander? Mays? Samuel? Hobbs? Sanders? Meriweather? Wilson? Gostkowski?)
my point is that with those players it will artificially inflate the avg. age i know they have young players

dang, I forget that, lol! Sorry. Honestly, I like 38 better than 31...I was hoping he'd get a good number in the 20's.

Oh Crap....we're not going to get into another discussion about the "tightness" of numbers, are we?

Mays played excellent special teams last year, I would not discount him so easily. Also the 2nd year is where most players make a big jump.

You must have watched different games than everyone else. Mays was the equivalent of Dexter Reid back there. It seemed like every game there'd be a penalty on special teams it it was Mays number being called. I was NOT impressed with him. In fact, Pierre Woods was significantly better than Mays. Mays had all of 6 special teams tackles and 2 assisted tackles in the 8 games he played in. Woods, who played in 9 games, had 15 special teams tackles.

There's actually 21, if you use 12/31/07 ages. That is rather high, but the core of this team remains in the 24-29 range.

I was using 9/10/2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots