PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chad and Eddie Jackson activated; Ventrone released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Chad Jackson activated

Well the signing of Jackson will determine the future of Stallworth. If Jackson plays well this season, than Stallworth will be traded or cut to make room for cap space. From what i heard, BB is giving Troy a chance to play because of his history with the team and contributions, but his age and lack of playing time this season is seriously negating his chance to make the roster. However, Troy does bring versatility in that he can play WR, CB and Kick Returner. He will be a big asset in case a key player is injured. So we shall see how good he is during the 21 days.

With the Jackson activation, Gaffney will be playing less. Jackson will make his start in Buffalo as a kick returner and play the majority of the snaps in place of Gaffney.
The latter might be true...they will keep Stallworth and Moss...and CJ....It will be either Gaffney or Washington who will be gone after the season...Stallworth, Moss and Welker is a great trio of receivers.,,no way do they break that up.

For anybody who doesn't expect Chad to be active: check Kelley Washington's reception total for the season.

C. Jackson plays teams too, and can't possibly be less of a factor on offense than Washington has been.

Well the signing of Jackson will determine the future of Stallworth. If Jackson plays well this season, than Stallworth will be traded or cut to make room for cap space. From what i heard, BB is giving Troy a chance to play because of his history with the team and contributions, but his age and lack of playing time this season is seriously negating his chance to make the roster. However, Troy does bring versatility in that he can play WR, CB and Kick Returner. He will be a big asset in case a key player is injured. So we shall see how good he is during the 21 days.

With the Jackson activation, Gaffney will be playing less. Jackson will make his start in Buffalo as a kick returner and play the majority of the snaps in place of Gaffney.

signing of Jackson? Jackson was SIGNED a year before Stallworth. What room? Chad is still under the salary

anyways. im interested with Eddie Jackson..BB knew he wouldnt be available until at LEAST October..yet he signed him. Theres something we might find out on ST or on defense about this kid. Probably a very very good ST player that BB was willingto wait for

The latter might be true...they will keep Stallworth and Moss...and CJ....It will be either Gaffney or Washington who will be gone after the season...Stallworth, Moss and Welker is a great trio of receivers.,,no way do they break that up.

Well we all would love Stallworth back because he is a good player, but since Moss is only signed for 1 year, signing him for long term will be there #1 priority. The Patriots will look to sign Moss to a 5 year term to lower his cap hit. Unless someone decides to restructure there contract, i dont see alot of CAP room for Stallworth especially with Brady's cap hit will balloon in 2008. Unless he decides to restructure, there will be not enough room to fit him in.

Last edited:
Remix i meant Activation of Jackson in refrence to Stallworth and our option for Stallworth's contract next year.

Last edited:

Gaffney and Jackson are not very similar. Gaffney is an excellent route runner and he also has good hands. Jackson is a better blocker, plays on ST, but as far as passing plays goes he is more of a downfield guy.

Remix i meant Activation of Jackson in refrence to Stallworth and our option for Stallworth's contract next year.

u said with Jackson being activated..that us "signing him" will make Stallworth expandable due to fact we need to "make room"

they are both under the cap..theres no signing ..theres no money involved in activating Chad.

For anybody who doesn't expect Chad to be active: check Kelley Washington's reception total for the season.

C. Jackson plays teams too, and can't possibly be less of a factor on offense than Washington has been.

I expect both of them to compete head-on to try and match Dave Thomas' reception total of 2. It could be a death match. Washington does play on a lot of the special team units, see Reiss' piece.
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2007/11/special_teams_l.html

Gaffney has not exactly made a big splash, there may be a bit of a rotation for the 4th, 5th and 6th WR spots. When / if Brown returns he will take Gaffney's spot, and you heard it here first, expect to see #80 in a lot of special teams action.

If Jackson can show and once of toughness and contribute of special teams then he should get some playing time. I know he has worked as a returner but with his size and speed he would be excellent on coverage units (if he wasn't made out of glass). I still hold hope against hope to see a 4 WR set of Moss, Welker, Stallworth and Jackson (3 or of the 4 run under 4.40).

Last edited:
u said with Jackson being activated..that us "signing him" will make Stallworth expandable due to fact we need to "make room"

they are both under the cap..theres no signing ..theres no money involved in activating Chad.

Ummmm i dont get what you dont understand of me refrencing today's activation of Chad Jackson. I meant to say "activation" not "signing", just replace the words.

Next year Brady's contract will balloon because of this years restructure to fit Moss. Moss and the pats will most likely sign a contract via 5 years. The Patriots have an option for Stallworth next year and could opt out of the 4 years depending on how Jackson plays the remaining of the season. So unless Moss doesnt resign (unlikely), stallworth will put us above the cap wich is unfortunate.

Last edited:

signing of Jackson? Jackson was SIGNED a year before Stallworth. What room? Chad is still under the salary

anyways. im interested with Eddie Jackson..BB knew he wouldnt be available until at LEAST October..yet he signed him. Theres something we might find out on ST or on defense about this kid. Probably a very very good ST player that BB was willingto wait for

He's got a wiki:

"In college, Jackson started 21 of 47 games at both the cornerback and strong safety slots for the University of Arkansas and totaled 174 tackles, 35 passes defensed, one forced fumble and two fumble recoveries."

He's 6' 200 lbs. and has played cb and strong safety in college.

Could be a piece in the puzzle like Chad Brown as a big affordable CB/safety. Of course special teams look to be in his immediate future.

Last edited:

Could be a piece in the puzzle like Chad Brown as a big affordable CB/safety. Of course special teams look to be in his immediate future.
Chad Scott.

We're carrying 11 db's. Isn't that a little high? Is there a lb out there we can pick up? Only 8 lb's. An injury or two makes it more difficult to run our base defense. Kind of thin at two offensive positions. RB(4) AND TE(2). We do have Vrabel to put in near goal-line as te. Plus, an extra ol.

I expect both of them to compete head-on to try and match Dave Thomas' reception total of 2. It could be a death match. Washington does play on a lot of the special team units, see Reiss' piece.
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2007/11/special_teams_l.html

Gaffney has not exactly made a big splash, there may be a bit of a rotation for the 4th, 5th and 6th WR spots. When / if Brown returns he will take Gaffney's spot, and you heard it here first, expect to see #80 in a lot of special teams action.

If Jackson can show and once of toughness and contribute of special teams then he should get some playing time. I know he has worked as a returner but with his size and speed he would be excellent on coverage units (if he wasn't made out of glass). I still hold hope against hope to see a 4 WR set of Moss, Welker, Stallworth and Jackson (3 or of the 4 run under 4.40).

He did play ST last year. He was on the KR team during playoffs, thats where he got hurt i think. He did PR 3 times last year i think..Titans came he was huge..got 2 gains over 25 and did well against Vikings .. inside 10 he took it..got hit but bounced off that and went 11 yards

So, I guess those of us who said Chad wouldn't go on the IR were correct.

He'll probably be the 5th or 6th WR for a few games, but when the Pats get close to the playoffs I wouldn't be shocked if he takes over for Gaffney. He could help out as a returner, and will see time on coverage teams.

Eddie Jackson is a good special teamer, and could be a decent backup CB, so he'll add to the backend of the roster.

Last edited:
We're carrying 11 db's. Isn't that a little high? Is there a lb out there we can pick up? Only 8 lb's. An injury or two makes it more difficult to run our base defense. Kind of thin at two offensive positions. RB(4) AND TE(2). We do have Vrabel to put in near goal-line as te. Plus, an extra ol.

-Harrison
-Wilson
-Sanders
-Meriweather
-Baker
-Andrews
-Samuel
-Hobbs
-Mitchell
-Gay
-Jackson

i think all these guys play ST..besides Samuel but the rest of the guys are on at least 1. Our ST guys are "small" but fast..a lot of teams carry more LBs to play ST but these guys are doing a great job.

Still think Stallworth and Moss and Welker will be the crew...teh VET crew of receivers..cap room?? They will MAKE room for Stallworth...besides the fact that both are close..it would be the best for the team.

ever think that he couldnt crack lineup because he didnt know h is playbook? Ever think that with all the time off..he probably did study the plays like he said he did?

He didn't crack the starting Lineup (for the most part), but he got into the field (13 receptions 3 TD's), while fighting through injuries. If he stays healthy he'll at least be a 5th or 6th WR, and maybe by the end of the year/playoff time he can take over for Gaffney. We'll see.

This team used to carry ST LBs, and not just any LBs but big ST LBs like Matt Chatham. But over the past few years they've been switching those to smaller LBs like Don Davis (and remember Wes Mallard?) and now to safeties.

It makes sense because we are now playing on a faster home surface, we suffer more attrition in the secondary than we do in the LB corps, and over the years the ST safeties have demonstrated the ability to play in the defense that the ST LBs by and large have not.

Gaffney and Jackson are not very similar. Gaffney is an excellent route runner and he also has good hands. Jackson is a better blocker, plays on ST, but as far as passing plays goes he is more of a downfield guy.

This is slightly incorrect. Jackson has downfield abililty, and had a large AVG when he first came into college, but his last year (when he had 88 receptions) he got a lot of his time working out of the slot, and Florida ran a lot of their passing game through him. He was also their TD threat (1 TD every 9.7 receptions). Jackson has route running abililty, generally very good hands, and works well in traffic. From what I've seen he's also strong, and has some ability to break tackles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back