Center Dan Koppen re-signed for 2 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDot

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Patriots resigning Koppen pr Schefter

Twitter

Tom Brady will be happy: Patriots are re-signing center Dan Koppen, per league source.​

Interesting whats this mean for Connolly?

Excellent news, and I've needed some. Welcome back Mr. Koppen.

This is good news, though I am a bit wary of Koppen as a starting center.

OL seems to be in decent shape now.... maybe room for a young developmental guy....

Draft DEFENSE now... DE/OLB/CB/S with top 4 picks.......any order...BPA :rocker:

If the old guys return and Mankins is ready game one:

Light
Mankins
Koppen
Waters
Vollmer

If the old guys don't return and Mankins isn't ready to start the season:

Solder
Gallery
Koppen
Connolly
Vollmer

The line looks good enough (and plenty deep if Light & Waters return) that there should be no need for a high pick being used on it in the draft. That leaves only WR as a need on the offensive side of the ball. So, grab a WR with one of the first 4 picks, and spend the rest of the high round draft picks bringing in DL/OLB types to fix the defense.

Last edited:
Good news.. strengthens a strength.

If the old guys return and Mankins is ready game one:

Light
Mankins
Koppen
Waters
Vollmer

If the old guys don't return and Mankins isn't ready to start the season:

Solder
Gallery
Koppen
Connolly
Vollmer

The line looks good enough (and plenty deep if Light & Waters return) that there should be no need for a high pick being used on it in the draft. That leaves only WR as a need on the offensive side of the ball. So, grab a WR with one of the first 4 picks, and spend the rest of the high round draft picks bringing in DL/OLB types to fix the defense.

Yup. I think the best part about this is that it obviates the need to draft a center.

I wonder if this means Brian Waters is retiring. Connolly got a nice contract too. He could battle Gallery for RG spot in camp if Waters does retire.

Great news. Defense all the way in the draft now then

I wonder if this means Brian Waters is retiring. Connolly got a nice contract too. He could battle Gallery for RG spot in camp if Waters does retire.

All signs have pointed to Waters playing this year thus far. The Pats need depth at the interior part of the line. Adding Koppen definely does that.

Awesome news.

OL is deep, versatile and highly talented. With one of the best OL coaches in the game. Brady should be happy.

Premiere Talent Mankins, and Waters
Top End Talent Light, Vollmer, Solder
More than Quality starter Koppen, Connolly
Starting caliber but not on our team Gallery
X-Factor Cannon

That is 9 OL that very legitimately would start on alot of teams in this league.

Then add in the fact Connolly can play center or guard, Waters can play left or right, Vollmer and Solder can play left or right, Gallery can play anything except C and I dont think I want him at LT, Cannon seems to be a tackle but alot of talk has been made of making him a guard though I think the need is more at tackle with Light possibly retiring if not then its soon.

And due to the age of Koppen, Light and Waters I still would not be against drafting one though now it would seem a little silly in the first 2 rounds.

Last edited:
I'm not. I think he'll still be very good despite his injury. Obviously, they must feel confident that he's healed if they gave him 2 years. Great news.

Don't like it. I'd rather have Connolly at Center.

@AdamSchefter
Tom Brady will be happy: Patriots are re-signing center Dan Koppen, per league source.
https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter

Albert Breer ‏ @AlbertBreer
Koppen's 2-year deal is worth about $6 million, so it looks like NE expects him to start. May have to adjust that Konz pick in my mock.
https://twitter.com/#!/AlbertBreer

Wow, that's a lot more than I expected. He seemingly didn't generate any FA interest and the Pats already seemed to have their starting Center in Connoly.

Don't like it. I'd rather have Connolly at Center.

My prediction:

C Koppen
G Connolly, Waters (perhaps Waters moves to LG while Mankins is out?)
T Solder, Vollmer

PUP Mankins
Backups Cannon, Gallery, McDonald, Wendell

I'm still thinking Light retires, but would not be surprised if he returned.

Last edited:

Have to agree with you Jack. A 33 year old Center with injury issues was not a smart resign if he is a here as a back up......unless Waters has a definite retirement announcement coming up.

I hope this does not mean Waters is gone. He was our best O Lineman in 2011.

This signing is as about a meh as Branch. I really appreciate the Pats loyalty to their aging players but the consistency to throw money for all once important players was not there, i.e. Vrabel. I think he was more valuable than Koppen or Branch. I can cover Branch.

Still, all three spiraling out of the league, but $3 million per year for a backup Center is a bit much ya think?

Kind of wished the Titans has signed him if it comes down to him or Waters.

How is this good news? He is a very heady player but was getting killed by bigger NT and D lineman. He was mediocre at best. I hope if he starts he does not get TB killed.

Branch and Koppen were signed by Brady not the F.O. Guarantee you Faulk is signed as well. Any takers? Add him to the "pay me too" list. Light, we'll see you too. If this was made to keep TB happy, I get it. It is certainly not a young talent win!

I say let's sign Russ Francis and John Hanna too. Grogan should have a few snaps left. Let's get the band back together boys!
DW Toys

This offense is stacked. I agree with those who mentioned adding a young WR. It wouldn't surprise me if they pick up another RB. But honestly, is there any reason not to dedicate at least the first 3 picks to defense?

Last edited:
I think its a great signing.....keeps us deep....he knows the system and it keeps continuity....to one of the top O-lines in the NFL. This will allow us to focus our attention on the defense and maybe a WR. :rocker::rocker::rocker:

Last edited:
Surprised at the terms but glad he's back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes