PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Celts TRADE #5..Wally, West for Allen

I thought this was interesting, from today's globe in Dan Shaughnessy's article. Its a quote from probably the biggest cheerleader the Celts have, Tom Heinsohn, and another from the Cooz:

Heinsohn: "You know what happens when you are making a souffle and you mix all the ingredients and put it in the oven?" started Heinsohn. "If you take it out of the oven too soon, it flops. And that may be what we are doing."

Cooz was similarly underwhelmed.
"I didn't want them to make any trades," mused the first great Celtic. "I don't have that kind of confidence in aging free agents, especially guys like Garnett or Allen who haven't won anything."

Geez, when even Tommy says something bad about a move you KNOW it was terrible. I mean, he's such a homer he made numerous comparisons between Rajon Rondo and Bob Cousy last year!

When I read this and listen to Maxwell and Ordway on the Radio, I find that I do not understand the NBA any more.. they and baseball rely so much on experience the game itself seems to have lost a lot of relevancy.

Well, I'd agree with you. And I don't think the #5 pick would have made a difference either.

I think it's a pipe dream that all of our young players pan out and turn into stars, and all remain on the team. The fact is, most fans would rather have this pipe dream. I think we also have a tendency to overrate our young players here. They'll all be good players, but I'm not sure if any will ever be as good as Paul Pierce.

If people need a reminder of this fact, just think of how amazingly bad our team was without Paul Pierce last season.

They were 4-34 without Paul Pierce.

That is a pace of 8.5 wins in a season. And that IS the worst record in NBA history!!

Edit - updated for the proper math, it's even worse than I thought.

agree with most of what you say
i think the one guy that actually has the POTENTIAL to be better than pierce is gerald, but he is still SOOO raw

i have been saying for a while now how much we underrate paul, and that record quantifies that statement

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back