PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Celts Sign Sheldon Williams

scout

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Anyone have any information on him? He was the fifth pick in the 2006 draft by Atlanta.
Obviously, didn't pan out as the fifth pick, but might fit as a role player here. I always looked at the starters that played for the Celtics before KG who "sucked", but became good role players for either the Celts, Cavs, or Wolves.

Looks to be a stiff ... rebounds and paint disrupter off the bench.
This guy was picked 5th ... wow ... what a waste of a pick.
He's too small to be a PF and too slow to be a SF ... but he got paid. :confused:

He's 6'9" 250 pounds...an inch taller and 10 pounds heavier than Leon Powe and the same hight and 15 pounds heavier than Brian Scalabrine is so if he's too small to be a power forward somebody better tell that to the Celtics as they have been using smaller backup PFs the last couple of years

Some more info on him:
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2009/08/celtics_sign_sh.html

Last edited:
He's pretty terrible imo. This signing better not be Davis insurance, that's all I can say.

He's pretty terrible imo. This signing better not be Davis insurance, that's all I can say.

It's not. It's either to replace Scal or it's to replace Powe...most likely just Scal.

It's not. It's either to replace Scal or it's to replace Powe...most likely just Scal.

That sucks too. How does replacing Scal with an inferior player make sense?

That sucks too. How does replacing Scal with an inferior player make sense?

He would be a different role player then Scal. Wasn't too long ago that Scal was loudly criticised by the fans, but when he was surrounded by great players everything was good. Let's see how this guy does coming off the bench playing with four all stars.

He would be a different role player then Scal. Wasn't too long ago that Scal was loudly criticised by the fans, but when he was surrounded by great players everything was good. Let's see how this guy does coming off the bench playing with four all stars.

Obviously. I just think Scal does his job pretty well for this team.

Obviously. I just think Scal does his job pretty well for this team.

:rofl: ... funniest thing on the Celtics is watching Scal play defense. He's worked hard at it and he's better than he was before ... but it's funny. At any one time he has 3 body parts moving in different directions. Talk about a guy that gets 120% of his God given ability ... it's Scal - he has way overachieved and I give him credit for that.

I agree, but pre-KG, he received a lot of abuse from the fans.

He sure got a lot of crap from me ... but I agree he has otten better without the ball.

Not a good signing. I think he's more interested in his Paint company than playing basketball.

Not a good signing. I think he's more interested in his Paint company than playing basketball.

As long as he mixes it up in the paint, I'm good.

Saw Sheldon play all through college. Living in ATL and ACC country ... you see all the ACC games.

He was a force in the middle for Duke when he played there. He was drafted out of Duke by the Hawks ... but the Hawks were in dissaray and not the team for him to being going to. Coach stunk, still does.

IMO, we might see more of the 'DUKE player he was with the C's', with the kind of coaching he's going to get and the other talented 'bigmen' who he will be playing with, Sheldon might blossom in Boston.

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back