Welcome to PatsFans.com

Celtics Question...

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by DarrylS, Feb 16, 2006.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +824 / 27 / -33

watched the Celtics last night, although only the second half, and found this team very entertaining. First time I have watched this much BB since the early 90's. Ryan Gomes has always been a favorite of mine, gave PC a good name. Yesterday, listening to Dale and Holley talking with Mike Gorman of Celtics TV. Gorman was praising Gomes and said something to the effect, that in Gomes the Celtics know what they have and he will be around a long time. Last nite they were talking about Wally saying how polished this kid is.

What I don't get here, is that until there were a rash of injuries Ryan was getting little minutes. Where is the logic, deny Gomes who has been described ready for the NBA in favor or Kendrick Perkins or Al Jefferson?? I know there are only 48 minutes in a game, but Gomes gives this team a lot when he is on the floor.

2. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Doc sure looks stupid now for not giving him any minutes. I'm not going to complain about Al and Perk getting minutes over him, though. Can't win without big men, and Perk's come up huge several times this season, and Al needs to develop. They're banking on them for the future. It's the fact that players like Dickau and Veal were getting minutes over him that pisses me off.

I hate Scalabrine, by the way.

3. CTPatsFan

CTPatsFan Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Maybe I'll have to watch a game or two. I haven't watched more than a quarter or so of a C's game since Reggie passed away and haven't watched on a regular basis since the days of Larry/Kevin/Chief. Much of it can be attributed to my disdain of the NBA in general, but the C's haven't been real watchable either since then.

I might just have to watch a bit.

4. Johnny Mac

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That was a fun game to watch. Unfortunately, they're not all like that. Also of note, we absolutely win that game with Ricky Davis.

5. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +186 / 2 / -3

Actually I think this team has lots of potential although some cynics disagree

Bill Reynolds recently wrote a story that suggested Ainge had the team on a treadmill to nowhere - but I think most of the fans see what Ainge's though process is.

Sure he signed Blount to bad long term contract. Blount obviously can play well when he wants to - and in his contract year he wanted to. When he played the Celts after being traded he wanted to.

But other than that he doesn't care about playing well - he's got his guaranteed money, which is one of many reasons why the NBA has grown increasingly lame.

Ainge clealy understood that for the Celts to compete for a title, they needed a strong big man in the middle, and that's why he took a chance on Blount. I don't fault him for trying - I fault Blount for not playing to his potential.

Other moves by Ainge have ranged from the mediocre to the outstanding.
    Ainge may have gotten a little lucky with some of his signings - Delonte West, Perkins, Jefferson, Gomes - and other moves look pretty mediocre
    Of course, mediocrity is what the NBA is all about these days.

I think the league overextended itself when they added so many new teams and then opened the doors to High School players, prompting all teams to fill their rosters with 18 year olds with potential who wouldn't be ready to play for 4 or 5 years.

So between the mediocrity of the NBA, and a system of guaranteed contracts that provide little incentive for the majority of players once they have their money its no wonder that the Celts, like most of the teams in the NBA.

But all in all we have a strong core of talented young players, that along with Pierce and other scoring role players, could make a good run in a few years. Ainge and Doc appear to be on the same page, wanting players to play tough defense, make the extra passes, and play smart ball.

So I'm quite optimistic

6. Johnny Mac

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

And to the miserable; 5 years/$15 mil for Veal.

And he also traded Ricky for a worse player, with a horrible contract, and bad knees. Sweet.

I don't see the future being bright at all for this team. Ainge has put us in a cap position where we can't do anything. This are Pierce's best years, and he's playing like the top 5 player he is, but Ainge has surrounded him with nobody for 3 years. By the time we clear our huge contracts, Pierce will be wearing down or gone. And if our young guys don't turn into superstars, which is, of course, very likely, we'll be starting from scratch again.

Doc needs to go, Ainge needs to go, and Wyc should probably just sell the team. Winning days are a long ways away.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2006