PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Celtics Getting Team Concept Down Very Well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Full green - won deciding game on the road.

Expect that in '64, they won the deciding game at home...

1964 NBA Finals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

!B9vw7lg!Wk~$(KGrHqEOKiMEzQPPGN!-BM6ruv7n1Q~~_35.JPG

Mystery...

ok yeah I was wrong, just looked at all of them:

white:

2008 - home
1986 - home
1984 - home
1976 - road
1974 - road
1969 - road
1961 - home
1960 - home
1957 - home

green:

1981 - road
1968 - road
1966 - home
1965 - home
1964 - home
1963 - road
1962 - home
1959 - road

I know it doesnt represent the best record in the NBA because they had that in 2008 and certainly did not in 1969.

Concur. :mad:

KC Jones ~ the Don Zimmer of BasketBall "Coaches." :rolleyes:

The Depth of Talent on the 80's Celts was INSANE. :eek:

But Jones NEVER developed The Bench, and he ran The Big 3 into the DIRT. :mad:

Reminded me a LOT of the 1977/1978 Red Sox, who had an AWESOME bench, before Pedro's Punching Bag traded half of them away and let the other half ROT while he destroyed Butch Hobson's ELBOW and wiped out the REST of the team. :mad:

1 ~ If the Celts had a COACH in the 80's, there's no WAY we don't beat the Lakers in the 1985 Finals...and we probably beat them in 1987, as well, for a FOUR Peat!! :D

2 ~ If the Red Sox had a MANAGER in the 70's, there's no WAY we don't beat the KnickerBockers ~ the team that calls themselves "Yankees" :rolleyes: ~ for the AL East and then win the World Series in 1977 AND 1978. :eek:

3 ~ Hell, for THAT matter, if the Red Sox had anyone but Racists and IDIOTS running the team from 1919 to 1978, there's a bone dry MINIMUM of 11 ~ ELEVEN!! ~ ADDITIONAL World Championships we would've won, in between, just by our team's Owners not being insufferable MORONS. :mad:

But, hey...I'm not BITTER!! :D
I find it more than a little embarrassing that we have a street (Yawkey Way) around Fenway named after a guy who, despite being a noted philanthropist in many ways, was an outright bigot whose primitive views on race ******ed the progress and accomplishments of the Red Sox for many, many years.

Eh I'm a Heat fan but this series will be over tonight because the C's embrace the team concept and are making things happen off the pass where the Heat are relying on match-ups. Boston will win tonight... then they'll get thoroughly bulldozed by the Thunder.

Last edited:
Eh I'm a Heat fan but this series will be over tonight because the C's embrace the team concept and are making things happen off the pass where the Heat are relying on match-ups. Boston will win tonight... then they'll get thoroughly bulldozed by the Thunder.

Suck my Diction.

Concur. :mad:

KC Jones ~ the Don Zimmer of BasketBall "Coaches." :rolleyes:

The Depth of Talent on the 80's Celts was INSANE. :eek:

But Jones NEVER developed The Bench, and he ran The Big 3 into the DIRT. :mad:

Reminded me a LOT of the 1977/1978 Red Sox, who had an AWESOME bench, before Pedro's Punching Bag traded half of them away and let the other half ROT while he destroyed Butch Hobson's ELBOW and wiped out the REST of the team. :mad:

1 ~ If the Celts had a COACH in the 80's, there's no WAY we don't beat the Lakers in the 1985 Finals...and we probably beat them in 1987, as well, for a FOUR Peat!! :D

2 ~ If the Red Sox had a MANAGER in the 70's, there's no WAY we don't beat the KnickerBockers ~ the team that calls themselves "Yankees" :rolleyes: ~ for the AL East and then win the World Series in 1977 AND 1978. :eek:

3 ~ Hell, for THAT matter, if the Red Sox had anyone but Racists and IDIOTS running the team from 1919 to 1978, there's a bone dry MINIMUM of 11 ~ ELEVEN!! ~ ADDITIONAL World Championships we would've won, in between, just by our team's Owners not being insufferable MORONS. :mad:

But, hey...I'm not BITTER!! :D

Most impressive, Brother Grid. Do you also have an extensive knowledge of the Bruins?

Suck my Diction.

Thunder has the better starting line-up and the better bench of the two teams. Sorry, but I just don't see how the Celtics match up well with them. But I've been wrong before.

That's pretty much exactly what everyone said after the 76ers series. Admittedly, I was hoping for a Spurs/Celtics Finals, because that's a much better matchup for Boston. If the Celts make the Finals, it'll be a tough matchup, for sure. The offensive philosophy would have to shift pretty dramatically away from Garnett, they have the size and athleticism in the frontcourt to actually play some defense on him, which is something that he hasn't seen since the Atlanta series.

Thunder has the better starting line-up and the better bench of the two teams. Sorry, but I just don't see how the Celtics match up well with them. But I've been wrong before.

Assuming a Thunder/Celtics Finals, I think the Thunder run into a similar obstacle that they ran into in the first two games of the Spurs series, which is that Kendrick Perkins doesn't really have a place on the floor. He'd have to go out onto the perimeter to defend one of Garnett or Bass, and he's pretty much useless defensively once you lure him out of the paint.

The answer in the Spurs series was to go small with a Sefolosha/Fisher-Harden-Durant-Westbrook-Ibaka lineup, but the Celtics can actually exploit that matchup, because whoever Durant's guarding at the 4 will post him up and back him down all day, and hopefully get him in foul trouble as a result. This is something that San Antonio couldn't do, because Diaw isn't a real big. He's a fat 3 masquerading as a 4. By the same token, there will be nobody protecting the rim, which means that when Rondo breaks Westbrook down (which he'll do almost at will) and gets around the pick, he'll have a clear path to a layup or a slash-and-kick.

Basically, if the Celts are going to have a shot against the Thunder, it'll be for the same reason that they won the last three games of this series- because they're tactically superior and are willing to leverage the fact that their opponent has no real answer to Boston throwing out two bigs with a lot of range. Honestly, I think that OKC's best bet might be to play a whole lot of Westbrook-Durant-Sefolosha-Collison-Ibaka, figuring that Collison can negate Bass without surrendering too much in size, and surrendering Harden's scoring in order to try to shut down Pierce. But as soon as you start going down the path of playing matchups rather than your best players, the presumed talent gap can evaporate in a hurry.

Don't get me wrong, I don't feel good about a Thunder-Celtics finals (again, assuming that the Celtics win). By all means, that should be the series where not having Jeff Green or Avery Bradley finally kills us, which sucks because even just having Bradley to shut down Westbrook (and he would shut him down) would have been an enormous boost. But I can pretty easily envision a scenario where the Celtics make it competitive and keep it close. These scenarios all involve Doc outcoaching Brooks to a pretty embarrassing degree, but that seems pretty likely to me, considering that we're talking about a guy, in Brooks, who still hasn't realized that Derek Fisher should never be on the floor, and who took 3 games to realize that Kendrick was a liability against San Antonio.

Last edited:
I find it more than a little embarrassing that we have a street (Yawkey Way) around Fenway named after a guy who, despite being a noted philanthropist in many ways, was an outright bigot whose primitive views on race ******ed the progress and accomplishments of the Red Sox for many, many years.

As I've been away for 20 years, I ask this question honestly & w/o sarcasm: Has there yet been a street around the Gahden named for the greatest owner in Boston sports history, Walter Brown, or for the greatest HC in Boston sports history, Red Auerbach?

Great team effort by the Celtics tonight! Oh, wait ... :confused:

yeah, there's a Red Auerbach Way on the northwest side of the Gahden...it morphs into Nashua St at some point because it used to be just Nashua street

Patriots are the only Boston team I like.

Let's go cel-tics!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye