Welcome to PatsFans.com

Celtics Draft Wednesday - My Thoughts

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by IcyPatriot, Jun 25, 2006.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +619 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Not much to say here...just a few things....WELL MORE THAN A FEW....SO POUR A BEER OR CUP OF TEA WILL YA'.

1 - I hope Aldridge drops to 3 or 5 and we move up to get him. We need a PG...yes...but if we can't get a center he's the next best thing available.

2 - Adam Morrison...hope he is gone before we pick...I see bust all over this guy...he is emotionally weak and simply not tough enough for the NBA.

3- Brandon Roy - some experts have us picking him...I hope so. Roy and West in the backcourt...2 PG/SG at the same time will be deadly and will way open up the middle for Jefferson and Pierce.

4 - There's a sleeper PG out there in RD-2...bet on ainge to find him. A good PG to come off the bench is all we need...we will have 2 starters as mentioned above.

5 - Patrick O'Bryant is a waste...a 2nd rate center if I ever saw one....too slow and too clumsy and way not tough enough.

6 - Marcus Williams...a good pick in the middle teens at best...PLEASE AINGE DO NOT TAKE WILLIAMS...A TROUBLE MAKER FOR SURE IF HE IS ON THE BENCH.

7 - We need a tweener G/F who can play defense....Tony Allen is too small. If there is no PG in RD 2 please Ainge pick the quickest 6-5 to 6-7 guy available for shut down time.

8 - Tony Allen - don't be surprised if Ainge trades him to move up early in the 1st or to re-dip into the later part of RD-1 to get a PG or Defensive stopper.

That's about it...I think it will be Roy and he will split time with Delonte this year while Green splits time with Wally eventually moving Wally aside.

Also...would I trade Al Jefferson to get to #1 0r #2? Heck yeah I would because I think he has peaked as a player...a good player but not elite enough to get you to the Semi-finals. Aldridge could do that and then Ainge could still grab a decent player as i stated above.

If Jefferson is traded you could get Aldridge, a PG and a stopper all in RD-1 and the way ainge picks it could be off to the races. Ryan Gomes could hold the fort until Aldridge is ready with ease. Aldridge could then either play center with Gomes at PF or PF with Perkins in the hole.

That's where Ainge will be deadly this year...we will have a fast big team...a fast small team....and both will have 5 players who can score...Ainge wants to be like the Patriots in terms of versatility....I think he will.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2005
  2. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +50 / 2 / -0

I'll take your player comments at face value as I haven't really looked too deep at the potential rookies.

Suffice to say if we pick at 7 I think we'll have a good player - and if there's someone worth trading up for I'm confident Ainge will make the right call.

Overall, I'm glad to see Ainge sticking to his guns in his attempt to rebuild the team. Our problem in the past was that other GMs got greedy, did not stay on a rebuilding path, and as such we've gone through at least 3 rebuilding phases since the heydays of the 80s and early 90s.

Also, factor in some idiotic trades, and outright bad luck - and the fact that the real roadmap to a championship seems to be a dominant big guy in the middle - something few teams have - and here we are.

One rumor I heard mentioned was a trade for Allen Iverson. Although the specifics were sketchy, having a scoring point guard that does move the ball well and make plenty of assists is very intriguing.

And while I've never liked Iverson's attitude he does seem a bit more mature these days.

I'd even be willing to part with Paul Pierce at this point. I think its more important for our young players to have a savvy, veteran PG who can also take the scoring burden off of them and let them develop, than a good guy and great scorer like Paul Pierce...

Paul Pierce AND a savvy veteran PG would be great, but if that's not an option, give me the PG and let the kids develop.

Iverson's expensive but only under contract for until 2008 I think. Iverson and our young guys would probably be able to keep games competitive while we improve in other areas. And by the time his contract is up everyone else is more mature and ready for the next level - with the freed up salary cap money available for some good veterans.

Just something to think about - the thought of that trade was initially one I rejected on a gut level but the more I think about it the more interested I am.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2005
  3. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

All the draft experts raved about the draft Ainge had last year and I hope he follows up this year. I think you are right about Morrison, I saw his spot on ESPN with his training deal for the team workouts, less than impressive.
    You didn't mention any of the foreign guys, ESPN has about 30-40% of the first round as foreign draft picks. What about one of them?
  4. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +619 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

If Ainge trades down...I would not be surprised to see Ainge get the huge stones to draft: SAER SENE... This kid could be the next Mutombo or even dare I say...Ben Wallace.
    http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/mouhamedsene.asp

Also..depending on how the draft falls...Ainge supposedly likes Yotam Halperin a PG from Israel.

some insiders are thinking Ainge will get a defensive PF early rather than later by picking Cedric Simmons at 7 or a trade down. Then, expect him to go PG later in RD-1 by trading up and possibly grabbing Halperim or even better sergio rodriguez...who i would love to see him get.
    http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/sergiorodriguez.asp
  5. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Chad Ford has the Celts taking Cedric Simmons, if you don't have access to insider, this is what he says:
    The skinny: I wish I could tell you what the Celtics are going to do, but the truth is they're the hardest team to figure out. They've worked out just about everyone and could go in just about any direction. For the longest time we thought this looked like a two-man race between point guards Marcus Williams and Rajon Rondo. But in the past week, we've heard that Randy Foye, Ronnie Brewer and Cedric Simmons are in the mix.
    Simmons appears to be the front-runner. The Celtics have some young talent on the front line, but none with Simmons' athletic or defensive abilities. He'd be a nice fit or great trade bait for teams looking for a big.

And a note from Katz:
    Meanwhile, Boston and Portland are talking about a deal that would send second-year point guard Sebastian Telfair to Boston for the No. 7 pick and injured point Dan Dickau (Achilles tendon).
    The decision for general manager Danny Ainge is whether or not Telfair is a better fit for Boston over whomever the Celtics could land at No. 7. After Monday's workout, the top choice appears to be Villanova senior guard Randy Foye, but Foye could easily be gone at No. 6 to Minnesota. The Timberwolves were supposed to watch Foye on Monday in Boston but general manager McHale decided to go see England's Joel Freeland -- a possible Wolves second-round pick -- in a workout in Houston, instead.
    Telfair, the controversial pick out of Lincoln High (N.Y.) who went at No. 13 in 2004, played in just 68 games last season because of an injured thumb. He started off the season well but never recovered his role after returning. Telfair is now behind Steve Blake and Jarrett Jack on the team's depth chart, making it obvious why the Blazers are willing to move him.
    Still, Ainge is reviewing how Telfair performed prior to the injury to see if he fits in Boston. This trade, if it happens, might not occur until after the draft, once Boston sees who falls to No. 7.
  6. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +619 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

One part of me doesn't like this and then the other part knows how much promise Telfair had when he was younger. This kid was Mr. New York city...right up there with all the legends.

He's always been unsure if he should score more or be a PG more. Unquestioned he is a great PG and will get better. the scoring part of him is hot and cold...and this hurts him. The Celtics have so much offense...he would just need to pop a few here and thee to keep the defense honest like Tiny Archibald used to do when he became more of a PG.

Considering what is there for PG's, the fact we don't really need another green rookie, and we have a few more #1's coming to us in the next few years....I would do it and then trade Allen for a dip into the later part of RD-1 for a defensive forward.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  7. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

All this roundball talk...interesting..Been out of the green loop for awhile..a year or so..(Sorry, Danny Boy and the way management raised prices and broke up the team, soured me on him...) So what is so great about what is being done??? ARe they really ready to move into contention?? Do they almost have all the elements?? Believe me..I have been a Celts fan from teh Russell days..even through the John Y Brown days..(which were bad!!!) but??
    Just could not stomach what was being done.. SO is Ainge closer to having a championship team?? I see enthusiasm and??? Is it real OR smoke and mirrors...?? (Seems like even a few years ago I wa sMORE interested..but disappointment...again..)
  8. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

I think that they will trade the pick for a point guard. It might even be a guy from the Portland Trailblazers. Just a guess on my part.
  9. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +619 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

NO MORE RAEF LaSTENCH...YES!!!!

No more watching LaFrenz struggle to jump...another
    big man who loves to shoot...we have quicker guys to
    do that bye bye Raef...don't let the door hit you in the Azz.

[​IMG]
  10. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

So when are the Celts going to be good?? Why should anyone get excied over them??? Please..explain...
  11. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +50 / 2 / -0

Excited... I'm not sure about that. All the young talent they have can be very entertaining, and if some of these kids develop the way they could, there might be some real excitement in the future.

Ainge and the Celts are lucky that this town is so focused on the Pats and Red Sox and that most fans, after years of stalled, stopped, and restarted rebuilding efforts, are generally willing to sit back and give Ainge a chance to do what he needs to.

That being said, I'm a little confused by his choice of Rondo... probably could have had him in the 2nd round...

I'm very happy with gaining Telfair and getting rid of LaFrenz

I've heard some reports refer to Telfair as a 3rd string point guard - and while technically that might be right, you really can't call a guy getting 24 minutes a game third string. We need a true point guard and I hope Telfair is it.

Some thing that a trade for Iverson might still be in the works - while that would certainly add "excitement" I can't help but wonder how Pierce and Iverson are going to get all the shots per game they take right now.

Ratcliff is still good for 24 minutes or so and a good number of rebounds per minute, so that's not a bad move either

But generally speaking, going into this draft we hoped to get a traditional point guard. There was some question whether we should go for a veteran or a rookie.

We got both.

Top that off with the salary cap relief and release of LaFrenz - I don't see how the night can't be considered a success.
  12. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Well..yes..they are lucky..they are far in the shadows...I have tried a few times to get interested back in the Green in the last years..and everytime I do..it seems it's there and gone...I was high on Banks and he was gone..others..reminded me more of the Pitino era...I'm NOT an Ainge fan at all..but I have been a Celts fan for 50 years...and through many ups and downs...and while I amy NOT like management at all..I do love the CELTS!! SO why should there be optimsim now?? More than 2 years ago or??? Just seems like players come and go..and no cohesion...NONE..so??? Certainly a point guard would be good...and getting LaFrenz out saving money and??? WHy is there a reason for optimism??? Seems like they have players but not a team..closer to the old SD team..than anything close to playoff grade.
  13. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +50 / 2 / -0

Part of my attitude is that I feel the larger issue is that the entire NBA has become so watered down, and that the quality of play is so mediocre, that I just don't have high expectations for the Celtics or any team for that matter.
    (The years of drafting HS players based on potential, not actual current ability contributed to this in a big way.)

I hope Ainge does have a plan - but I too kindof get the feeling that he keeps reshuffling the deck... reshaking the dice and giving them another roll each season.

I don't view that as counter to keeping to his plan though... there's so much trial and error invovled with players, one has to balance the need to give players time to develop and gel as a team, and the need to try something and someone new.
  14. pats-blue

pats-blue Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

All the Iverson talk is on "insider" and crap. Isn't Pierce suppossed to be involved in that trade? I would hate to get Iverson, can't stand him. he is barely a 40% FG shooter and could never lead a team to the championship yet stills shoots the ball like he thinks he can. Add to that he is on the downside. Anybody have the details on the rumored Iverson trade?
  15. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Actually, the trade does not involve Pierce. It involves a bevy of our younger players. IMO, the Celts should stick with the youngsters and hope they flourish. Too many years of unloading contracts of vets, bringing on large contracts of vets. Unless, they have all the surrounding pieces, whats the sense of another burdensome contract. As far as AI is concerned, he's too old and too many miles on him. On the postitive side, there are very few players that play as hard as he does, every play and every game. Like him or not, when he leaves the court, he leaves everything on it.
  16. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

So when are the Cs going to have a playoff caliber team?? 5-6 years??? sooner??
  17. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +50 / 2 / -0

If making the playoffs are your barometer you should be happy because they've done that been there... winning less than 40 games and making the playoffs

They scrapped that team and went back to the drawing board knowing they'd never go deep in the playoffs with a chance to win with the lineup they had

Sadly all too often it seems like no matter what the other parts of your team are, if you don't have a decent bigman in the middle, you've got no shot of winning a championship.
  18. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I know they have been there and done that...I thought they were a LOT closer 3 years ago than now...at that point a big man and a point guard was ALL that was needed...a few years hence and??? Arw they really better off?? Getting to the playoffs with a chance to win it all..championship caliber is what this teams has eben about all the many years..and they are far from that now. I do agree they need a big man..thought they had some but??? Unfortunately, this team seems more like the Clippers and less like the Celts. But again, I realy haven't been following basketball as much lately..so in many ways it does not matter.
  19. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

At this point, I see no reason to be excited about the Celtics. They suck. The owner sucks, the GM sucks, the coaching sucks, and the team sucks.

Telfair sucks, and Ratliff sucks, but the point of that trade was to get rid of Raef. Ratliff's contract expires a year before his, which happens to be the summer that Pierce, West, Allen, Gomes, and Jefferson are all FAs. So, okay, I'll deal.

There's a lot to hate about AI, but he's still a top talent. A pierce-AI team has a chance. You just hope that AI's desire to win a championship will make him take his game to a different level. If nothing else, he can be entertaining. Plus, I've heard Ainge really likes his brain type. :)help:)

Of course, I'd rather trade for KG or O'Neal.

If we don't make a big trade, we better really suck next year. I want at least a top 3 pick. If we finish as the 7th-10th team again, I'm going to snap.

ps - The negativity in this town sucks and stinks and sucks.