Welcome to PatsFans.com

Cedric Cobbs, Antonio Pittman, and PS RBs

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by zarakotas5, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zarakotas5

zarakotas5 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I've tried to find out myself, and I've asked in several threads to no avail. So, does anybody know?

Cedric Cobbs showed me some talent in pre-season games. Pittman was relatively highly regarded, surprising drafted by NO, hurt, and released.

Anybody know their present status?

Also...Are PS squad players available to be picked off by other teams if they have been solidly on the PS? If not, is anybody interesting lingering on a PS somewhere, like the oft-bebated HB claimed by MINN?
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  2. zarakotas5

zarakotas5 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No one? Jeez, man.
  3. MetalBleachers

MetalBleachers Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Cobbs had a good shot to do something here and averaged 2.0 yards/carry. He also apparently had a tough time picking up blocking schemes in pass protection (not his fault: the Arkansas O was relatively simple and gave him little experience for use in the NFL). If Cobbs can't make it in Denver, I don't see him doing it here.

Pittman is slow and hurt. As far as practice squads, I looked but didn't see anyone that stuck out (and, yes, the Pats could take anyone from any PS and put him directly on their roster).
    click on a team to see its PS roster: http://www.draftdaddy.com/teams/nav/NFL.cfm

If you find anyone worth a look (and by "a look," I mean a roster spot), give a holler.
  4. unoriginal

unoriginal Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

Cobbs washed out of Denver this preseason. No longer practice squad elligible.

He fell out of favor here pretty fast for a 4th round pick, so its unlikely he'll be back.

I believe Antonio Pittman was signed by St. Louis immeadiately after being cut by the Saints. He is currently on their roster.

A team can sign another team's PS player to their active roster. Garret Mills, the player you're thinking of, is on Minnesota's active roster, not PS.
  5. zarakotas5

zarakotas5 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thank you, gentlemen. I admit it was a rash post, but is was borne from repeated inquires. Considering the state of grasping at straws, I'm not embarrased about it.

I greatly appreciate the patient responses.
  6. zarakotas5

zarakotas5 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

A particularly noteworthy appreciation, u. I couldn't remember his name in my addled state. Always loved that guy from NCAA. As did many coaches. Active roster, huh? Savvy.

u: Anybody that you like on a PS, then? That was pretty much the point of my question.
  7. Dagg

Dagg Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I actually saw Pittman get a carry when Leonard was shaken up last weekend so I doubt hes available.
  8. Flying Fungi

Flying Fungi Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

where's that Amos Zeroue fella at? :bricks:
  9. MetalBleachers

MetalBleachers Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Various PS RBs available, none too eye-catching: Darius Walker, HOU; Alonzo Coleman, DAL; Quinton Smith, NYG; Marcus Mason, WAS; P.J. Pope, CHI; Ken Darby, TB; Steve Baylark, AZ; Thomas Clayton, SF.

Walker got to know Weis' O at ND but I get the feeling Weis may have poisoned the well for him b/c he left school early. Smith was cut from NE roster this summer. Baylark's a UMass guy who had some productivity at 1-AA level but might be too slow out of the blocks to get many yards in the pros.

As far as I can tell, all of these guys belong on the PS. I wish we'd been able to hold onto Justise Hairston because I think he could have contributed at some point, but the Colts plucked him up.

In terms of free agents, Wali Lundy sticks out the most to me. I liked him coming out of Virginia.
  10. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +18 / 1 / -0

Were you perhaps thinking of Patrick Cobbs? He is, I think, on the roster for the Dolphins.
  11. unoriginal

unoriginal Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

Nah, I've got nothing.

I will note that Patrick Pass is available. He certainly knows the offense.
  12. stevepratt

stevepratt Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I guess this is a fun little thread to dig deep into the free agents/practice squad running backs but I sure hope we don't see any of the guys getting meaningful snaps for the patriots this year. The only one I wouldn't mind is Pass. I thought he was a versatile player who helped us during our super bowl runs and could fill the special team/fullback roles of guys like Evans and Eckel if they were to have to see more regular duty in the offense,
  13. captain stone

captain stone Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Pass was, indeed, a versatile and useful player for us - until 10/30/05, the night of Tedy Bruschi's return, when Pass fumbled without being hit, though he acted as if he had been - by a train. Too bad, because he had a good game the week before at Denver, and was off to a good start vs. Buffalo.
  14. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I thought he signed with Tampa OR??
  15. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

I thought we cut him from the practice squad? Not exactly a ringing endorsement when a team won't keep you even on the practice squad.

What's the furor over RBs?
  16. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

yea, i wanna know about pat cobbs

the guy who had most rushing yards last yr in pre season...

and the fins picked him up, dont know if they still have him or not though...

also i also liked hairston....
  17. onegameatatime

onegameatatime Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

They should take Hairston off Indy's PS to get them paranoid that we will debrief him.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.