PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CBS's presentation of the game Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Free_Pacman

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Am I taking crazy pills, or was there something wrong with the camera during the Dolphins game? The camera was so zoomed in that you couldn't even see the WR lined up pre-snap. It completely ruined the viewing experience for me. Did anyone else notice this?

Am I taking crazy pills, or was there something wrong with the camera during the Dolphins game? The camera was so zoomed in that you couldn't even see the WR lined up pre-snap. It completely ruined the viewing experience for me. Did anyone else notice this?
Honestly I thought there was something wrong with my tv until other people mentioned it.

I totally agree. They used weird shallow angles (especially visible during kickoffs) and zoomed in all the time.

I was honestly often confused about what was going on in a play because you could only see a handful players up close and none of the surroundings. It definitely ruined the viewing experience for me. I hope this won't happen again.

The first instance was the camera was trying to follow the ball through the uprights on the blocked field goal.

As bad as the camera work was, it was much better than the announcer's performance. Those dipshits didn't even notice that the Dolphins were unable to send their punt return unit out when the Pats did a delayed quick change. I think it was the 5th time they've done that this year. The lolphins shoulda been ready for that.

Yes, it was dreadful -- close-up views of a game that has to be seen in total to be appreciated. Awful.

With so many people having huge TVs these days, they should widen the angles significantly. It would be nice if they broadcast 2 versions, one with a very wide view and one with a "normal" view. Making the secondary completely visible would sure up the biggest flaw of watching the game at home.

I also wouldn't mind seeing some plays from above and behind the QB. From the side, it is tough to see the spacing between the linemen. Maybe someday they will provide a ton of feeds with different angles and allow the viewer to be their own director.

Last edited:
The camera was still looking for the ball 2 secs after Collins' fg block.

With so many people having huge TVs these days, they should widen the angles significantly. It would be nice if they broadcast 2 versions, one with a very wide view and one with a "normal" view. Making the secondary completely visible would sure up the biggest flaw of watching the game at home.

I also wouldn't mind seeing some plays from above and behind the QB. From the side, it is tough to see the spacing between the DLs. Maybe someday they will provide a ton of feeds with different angles and allow the viewer to be their own director.

My biggest concern with camera angles is that the NFL get enough of them on each game to get the calls right. There's no reason in the world that a billion dollar business can't spend the money to have every game covered with multiple cameras high and low all the way down the field. Let's start with a dozen cameras and go from there. Each team could split the cost for every game.

As bad as the camera work was, it was much better than the announcer's performance. Those dipshits didn't even notice that the Dolphins were unable to send their punt return unit out when the Pats did a delayed quick change. I think it was the 5th time they've done that this year. The lolphins shoulda been ready for that.

The announcers even made a reference that Gronk doesn't like to block. Can't stand that announcing crew with the exception of Ms. Dell. As for the terribly shallow camera angle and zooming...maybe CBS should've been testing that out in the pre-season??

The announcers even made a reference that Gronk doesn't like to block. ...

Seriously? I was at a family Xmas party and couldn't hear it, but seemed like every time I glanced at the game they were focusing on Gronk. I figured someone was finally spotlighting Gronk's blocking skills in a positive way.

Seriously? I was at a family Xmas party and couldn't hear it, but seemed like every time I glanced at the game they were focusing on Gronk. I figured someone was finally spotlighting Gronk's blocking skills in a positive way.
I didn't hear it, either, and my blood pressure is grateful for it. But you're right, they showed multiple replays of Gronk wiping out guys.

Maybe they're just used to saying it about Jimmy Graham.

I was at the game and heard about these weird angles from a friend so I watched the DVR recording last night and agree that they chose some weird angles. I figure it was likely due to the intense sun during the start of the game. When they zoomed out, the Dolphins all looked like white blobs. Zoomed in, they looked like football players.

BTW, one other thing I noticed at the game was that there was no overhead camera. Even the cables it usually hangs from were gone.

I didn't hear it, either, and my blood pressure is grateful for it. But you're right, they showed multiple replays of Gronk wiping out guys.

Maybe they're just used to saying it about Jimmy Graham.

I think it was in the 2nd or 3rd quarter and they were showing a replay of Gronk pulling inside for a wham block and opening up a huge hole up the middle.

The announcers even made a reference that Gronk doesn't like to block. Can't stand that announcing crew with the exception of Ms. Dell. As for the terribly shallow camera angle and zooming...maybe CBS should've been testing that out in the pre-season??

that's not what they said, AT ALL.

They said Gronk likes to block, but doesn't like to block all the time, this was said right after gronk caught that long pass, and the play right after he walloped cameron wake to let gray get around the outside.

One guy on the dolphins sideline started yelling at the players and waving his arm when we did it. But the players didn't react. We've done it several times this year. They should be prepared for it by now.

Believe it was only the camera at midfield that was zoomed in. When they switched to side view cameras closer to the end zones, the view was more normal.

Doubt that it was an exposure problem. Modern cameras can handle that pretty well. Must have been some other technical issue.

Overall, the lack of the skycam, the weird zoomed in midfield camera, the poor camera work on the blocked field goal and the C-list announcers all suggest that CBS wasn't taking this game very seriously.

They were paraphrasing from the Gronk interview where Gronk himself said that while he likes to block, he likes to do other things too and not have to block all of the time. Pretty harmless discussion, really.

that's not what they said, AT ALL.

They said Gronk likes to block, but doesn't like to block all the time, this was said right after gronk caught that long pass, and the play right after he walloped cameron wake to let gray get around the outside.
Thanks, I must have missed half of their statement when I was coming back from the fridge. Makes more sense!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back