PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CBS's Mike Freeman: "Deal will be reached within matter of days"

Status
Not open for further replies.
@patpsycho, @andyjohnson, @offthegrid

Great comments all on the financial crisis, though offthegrid is even more bearish than I am about the future. :eek:

A few quick comments:

It's impossible to understate the role that the government played in inciting the crisis. This goes beyond Fannie and Freddie and ends up squarely in the lap of a Democratic Congress and a Republican White House which found mutual benefit in pushing the two market makers to expand the universe of home ownership.

The largest banks in this country are either insolvent or destined for a decade of under-performance. The 10% of the problem that is Credit Card debt is probably fully reserved, but no one has any idea of the losses that are still buried in the 90% of the problem that is composed of Mortgages and various derivative instruments. If you want to get ill, go to the 10K of any major bank and use the PDF "find" function to locate "Level 1, 2 and 3" Assets. Carefully read the definition of a Level 2 or 3 Asset and see how much of them are still carried on the Balance Sheet as "Trading Assets." Then look at how much has already been written down. Then go to the "Goodwill" of any bank that has made multiple acquisitions in the last ten years and see its relationship to Shareholder Equity; add that to a portion of the Level 2 and all of the Level 3 Assets that are carried on the Balance Sheet and realize how much of that Equity is funny money. These banks will never again be able to earn more than 7 or 8% on that total equity.

Housing Prices are far from bottoming out. An entire decade's worth of Home Equity growth has been wiped out; the economy is unable to create jobs at a sufficient pace to create enough new buyers; there are untold hundreds of thousands of homes that will go into foreclosure as ARM's reset; consumers are deleveraging and have started saving at unprecedented rates for the US; 401k's have been seriously depleted. It's a regional phenomenon, but I personally believe that an overall drop of another 15--20% in home values is not unrealistic; in places it will be a lot higher.

It's a lot more fun to talk football. :)

Someone needs to explain this hockey game thinge to me. Yah, my ancestors were kicked outa Canader but the hockey gene thing misfired in me. Bluelines, offsides and the business of teams having more guys skating than the other guys, WTF?

I will keep it simple.

Put the puck in the net.

Beat the piss out of the other team.

What's the point of talking about the Celtics? The problems in the NBA labor negotiations will likely dwarf what we've seen in the NFL.

Funny you say that and I do agree with you.

But we actually joked that the strike could be the key to 18. As this aging team will be fresher in the playoffs given more time off and less games. This of course assumes a strike and only part of the season lost. If a whole season is lost thats one year older for this team which is not good.

My original post was made without any labor considerations though.

See post #89. The post implosion Dodd-Frank financial "reform" bill as I mentioned there deliberately avoided dealing with the big elephant fanny in the room.

And allowing folks to buy homes with zero down made it way, way to easy to just walk away with zero equity loss when times got tougher, which millions have simply done.

I stand corrected. :)

well stated. most call it "greed" because the total nut is so high and the salaries of NFL players are beyond what most folks can imagine earning.

to my mind, this has always been about a group of entrepreneurs/small business owners negotiating with a group of highly talented, for want of a better word, "entertainer-athletes" over how to divide up a very large pie so that the investors earn a fair return for the risk taken in deploying their capital and the entertainers can maximize their earnings potential over a career that lasts on average 3.7 years. it had nothing to do with greed.

I recalled reading not too long ago that the widely accepted 3.5 year average estimates had been debunked. The NFLPA likes to include anyone who ever signed a contract, including players who never made a 53 man roster in there calculations.... Omit them and the average jumps to 6 years.

NFLLabor.com What is average NFL player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back