Welcome to PatsFans.com

CBS's Mike Freeman: "Deal will be reached within matter of days"

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Patspsycho, Jun 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

NFL source: Labor negotiations 80-85 percent complete - NFL - CBSSports.com Football

Salient points:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  2. patriot lifer

patriot lifer Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

CBS--that's a bit better a source than a paper from Andover, Mass.
  3. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Rookie

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -2

No Jersey Selected

That would be awesome; though someone tweeted Breer asking what he thought of the report and he responded "I say that's going overboard." I wouldn't mind Freeman being right just this once.
  4. TriplecHamp

TriplecHamp Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 1 / -0

#24 Jersey

5. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,201 / 15 / -11

Disable Jersey

So I'm at Best Buy spending major 4 figures updating my home theater from its 2001 configuration and this geeky 50 something guy goes on a rant about the lockout citing his girlfriend's obsession with the NFL. Spot on target he bemoans the 9 billion dollar NFL's attainment as #1 in sports popularity and what, they're kicking their fans in the teeth. It is SO important for the NFL if it wishes to transition from 10 figure revenue to 11 to fix this BS now and avoid MLB redux.

Make it so.
    So say we all.
  6. Brady_to_Moss

Brady_to_Moss Revis Island is here PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +443 / 4 / -1

#95 Jersey

Ill believe it when i see it
  7. Dufflebagz

Dufflebagz Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Congrats on the upgrade :D
  8. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +709 / 5 / -3

The good news is that Freeman's sources during this whole thing have been pretty accurate. The better news is his sources appear to be on the players' side who always have been far less optimistic and rosey with their spin on negotiations than the owners' side has been.
  9. BlueThunder

BlueThunder PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

#24 Jersey

I'm about to do the same...just not sure what kind of upgrade I can get for my 4 figures...($99.00) :eek:
  10. Va_Pats_Fan

Va_Pats_Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

I see a new remote in your future :)
  11. Frezo

Frezo Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#50 Jersey

Why you go get yourself one of them new fangled CRT thangs. I hear they're colored now too.
  12. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Everyone is optimistic. But as Breer cautioned and Schefter just tweeted...

13. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,072 / 15 / -16

a "deal" huh??? well..all I gotta say about this is....bust a deal, face the wheel..

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  14. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +709 / 5 / -3

Schefter has been a pessimist on this all along. I heard him on Sirius NFL Radio last week saying he doesn't believe the players will get serious about negotiating until after the 8th Circuit ruling and a deal won't be done before late July early Augst at the earliest. That contradicts virtually every report that has the deal done by early July.

Ironically, Schefter's own reporting seems to indicate the owners may be voting on the deal as soon as next Tuesday:

NFL lockout: League, players meeting once again, sources say - ESPN
  15. BlueThunder

BlueThunder PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

#24 Jersey

I heard that the deal has been made and camp will start on time.....

(and then I woke up) ;)
  16. Buchanty

Buchanty Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -1

This nfl.com report contains the following sentence that would seem to support Schefter, though its not the players who seem to be reluctant:

...suggests a lack of urgency. Having said that I am encouraged that progress is being made. It looks like the proof of the pudding will come at the end of the owners' meeting next week in Chicago. If they accept the draft framework that seems to be emerging then there will be grounds for realistic optimism.

My hesitation at the moment is centered around some of the owners who are less than competent, and want to make easier profits at the expense of the players and the football following public. They do not run their organizations anything like the Steelers, Patriots or Cowboys, and are using the expiry of the CBA as an opportunity to get something similar to a tax cut, in other words more for no effort. If these franchises were more successful and efficient there would be more money in the pot for the players. Franchises are like gardens - if you don't tend and nurture them they produce neither blooms nor fruits. Because there is a limited number of franchises the owners have an obligation to look after their clubs and make them both competitive and healthy.

The players are far from blameless and if they had approached these negotiations with proposals, that would place conditions on the poorly performing franchises, alongside their increased employment demands they might have reduced the appearance of greed versus greed that led to the acrimony in the first month of talks.

I hope that the better business sense of Kraft and other good owners will prevail. I trust that they will.
  17. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +709 / 5 / -3

Actually, the NFL.com story suggests a deal is imminent and the owners will be voting on it next week. From the article:

Yes, it is the framework, but if it is approved by both sides, the CBA could be done in a few days to a week for final vote.

I have gone on record that both sides are both part greedy and part looking out for what is best for the game.
  18. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The owners are, in fact, proactive, because even the less competent owners understand that even if the court holds that Norris-LaGuardia prohibits the injunction, the NFL is still liable for anti-trust violations (triple the damage). The longer this goes on, the higher the anti-trust damages are going to be, potentially. So in this view, in the longer run, it appears the owners are going to be more hurt than the players.

So my worry is not the owners at this point, but the players, who I hope will pull their heads out of their asses.
  19. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +162 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

If they can get this done before 7/1 and then have a FA signing period before TC, that would be ideal, considering have far this has gotten out of hand.
  20. RelocatedPatFan

RelocatedPatFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Sounds more an more optimistic. And it'd be a real problem if they are leaking this information and for it not to be true. that could cause more harm to the fan-base than the current status-quo (you can only disappoint some fans too much -- though I'm not one of them. I'll be there when football is available).

it won't be a Harmony One as that's more than 99.00, but it's a heck of a remote.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.