PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CBS will air 8 early season Thursday Night Football games

So are we looking at an early season Pats/Jets Thursday night game ?

Even worse how about the Thursday game after flying back from a Sunday game in San Diego.

That's what I was thinking too. Probably have us going to San Diego on Sunday and then pulling us back east four days later to play the Jets while they just played a home game.

Thursday games are sloppy and I don't like them for that reason. The more football the better, but the quality just isn't the same which is unfortunate.

SO what you are saying is more chances to watch more football games is bad, because it is much better to only watch football on Sundays, and the only good thing more times for us to watch football does is make the NFL more successful. Got it, those morons.
I agree with what you wrote and just don't understand the mentality of people who oppose spreading things out a bit. I'd much rather have an option to watch a game on a Thursday night or Saturday's (after college ends) than make that game just another one that I miss at Sunday at 1:00.

The production quality will go up but, as long as the games still suck to everyone but the two teams competing, TNF will still be garbage. As a Pats fan, I enjoyed Pats/Jets last year, but it must have been painfully boring to the general viewing audience. If they continue to air games like St. Louis at Arizona or Minnesota at the Giants, they won't improve the product.

I really liked that dude's idea from another thread where there's almost another bye week added. The Thursday night teams don't play on the Sunday prior but, it's not counted as their bye week. Would likely take the sloppiness out of the Thursday night games as well as giving players the proper time to heal. Actually more time.

The production quality will go up but, as long as the games still suck to everyone but the two teams competing, TNF will still be garbage. As a Pats fan, I enjoyed Pats/Jets last year, but it must have been painfully boring to the general viewing audience. If they continue to air games like St. Louis at Arizona or Minnesota at the Giants, they won't improve the product.
Well there's only so many marquee matchups per week, and the NFL doesn't want to take away from the late Sunday afternoon "game of the week" and the Sunday Night Football game.

What can I say? I'm one of those who loves football and will watch on TV no matter who is playing. So even if it's Cleveland-Buffalo on a Thursday night, that's still a chance for me to watch a game and see players I wouldn't see as much of if they're playing Sunday at 1:00 opposite Pats-Dolphins.

A lot of people in here are just seeing what they want to see when they talk about the quality of play during Thursday night games. There were some darn good games this past season and there were some duds - which is no different from any other given Sunday game. Teams had 2 weeks to prepare for the Super Bowl but that didn't change the fact that the game was a dud and 1 team was totally unprepared.

I'm conflicted on this/ YEs, it helps the NFL because viewership will increase. But, i think this will hurt the NFL network.

All of the major networks bid on this contract, and some of the smaller ones. The NFL is a cash cow. I was listening to an expert on the subject on the radio, and he was saying that the NFL is building up viewership (like you say) in order to sell the contract for MUCH more money later on down the line. The idea is to establish the Thursday Night games on a larger scale and squeeze more money from the beast. I'm all for games on different days.

This won't really hurt the NFL Network too much right now. It's here to stay. The demand is just too high. Personally, I'll probably watch the game on CBS...maybe change the channel if Phil Simms starts to annoy me too much.

Not everyone can get the NFL Network either. They're TRYING to get people to watch the other network. The NFL gets their money either way. What I really don't understand is why they would simulcast the game on both networks. Anybody that gets the NFL Network also has CBS. I personally couldn't care much less on what channel I watch it.

I like the fact that they're playing a couple Saturday games this year, though. That's the only change that will really affect me....and it's good.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back