Welcome to PatsFans.com

CBS Sportsline hatchet job on Meriweather/Patriots

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by FreeTedWilliams, Apr 29, 2007.

1. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +89 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10155775

Good thing the writer is black or the ryming reverands would be calling for his head.

From what I've read, Meriweather and his roomate heard a noise outside, went outside, got jumped and shot at, and Meriweather shot back with a gun that he legally bought and was licensed to carry.
  2. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

It's one of the more legitimate story lines in the wake of the Jones and Henry suspensions and yesterday's draft. The attempts to lighten the tone of the story with, quote, humor, unquote, created a negative impression, but the actual story itself is about as fair as media gets.

p.s. You broke my heart with the thread title, I thought for sure Prisco had annointed the Colts and dissed Tommy, thus ensuring a fourth Vince.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  3. NE39

NE39 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Freeman has praised the Patriots many times in the past for the way they do business and is no basher of the team.

It is a fair criticism. Like it or not, Meriweather has a couple incidents that cause him to fall. While I have faith the Pats have done their due diligence and believe he won't be a problem child, it is fair for people to raise the point.
  4. DefenseRules

DefenseRules Rookie

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Fine they have raised their points and **** on the kid's head on his way into the NFL. I hope they all feel better. Now leave him alone. Can he get a chance to learn the playbook, get his uniform, and prove to all the holier than thou's in the world that he's not a MONSTER? I don't like people who sit in judgement of others. There isn't one human being on this earth without a skeleton in his/her closet. He made a mistake, it's possible, POSSIBLE that he learned from it.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  5. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

I like this part of the article:

6. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 4 / -3

The title lead me to believe this was a hit piece. considering the circumstances, it was pretty complimentary.

I have no idea why the subject of race was even brought up. You think black writers are the only writers who are questioning Meriweather's background right now?
  7. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +367 / 6 / -8

#75 Jersey

That's a pretty fair article. I don't see a hatchet job. I also don't think the Patriots ever wanted ony boy scouts.

the want the tough guys who have made mistakes, not the a-holes like pacman and the rasta everyone wants us to trade for, who's minds are on anything but football.
  8. PatsDeb

PatsDeb PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -1

Did anyone else think, when they heard about this pick, that they had drafted the new, raw, young, Rodney Harrison, and were going to ask the master to mold his pupil into his successor? A guy who can play both corner and safety with a nasty streak? If you had someone who could teach the guy how to channel it, he could be a very good player for this team.
  9. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

Rodney is about 6'0 and 220(Rodney is like a linebacker and is a SS)

Meriweather is 5'10 and 195(More a cb and is a FS)

I think he's more like Bob Sanders

I think both are physical and playmakers.
  10. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Quit judging people who exercise judgement! Though I do agree, BB/SP have spoken to the kid's character concerns by drafting him. I certainly couldn't vouch for him from my easy chair, but my Pats do a pretty good job on these background investigations, that's always been enough for me.
  11. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

I don't think the Pats have changed their standards. If Meriweather screws up on the field or in his personal life in a big way, the Pats will get rid of him. The Pats, unlike some teams, believe in giving people second chances, but not third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, .... chances.
  12. Brady'sButtBoy

Brady'sButtBoy Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 3 / -1

The thread starter needs to keep his shirt on - this is no hatchet job. The beginning of the article is a bit edgy but the author balances his antagonistic remarks by noting the context of Meriweather's shooting and his "contrite" apologies.

I love Meriweather, but even I have a small bit of doubt about him - he has fooled me into thinking he's changed, or is he really a different guy now? And it is perfectly legitimate for the author to question whether the Pats have lowered their standards by taking Meriweather - I bet most fans who know anything about the guy at least had the thought cross their mind briefly.

Like BB said at the post draft press conference - everybody has made some kind of mistake, it's what you do from there on out that really counts.
  13. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Why do you have to bring race and politics into this?

The writer was writing about the player's history, not his racial history.

There's no racial component to that article. You introducing one is more appropriate to your Politics forum.
  14. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Just comparing this kid to Christian Peters is unfair imo. My only concern is his size. We really don't need the second coming of Bob Sanders and his one game = one month's recovery time.
  15. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

I think the perception of patriots players is somehow over blown, the overall team and leadership here modulates many of the players behaviors, when I was in college I did some pretty stupid things. When I got a decent job many of them ceased, in college there is a vacuum of leadership. But the larger issue is how we treat college athletes. In well run pro sports there are not only coaches on the field, but mentors who show how these kids how to play the game, live their lives and act like professional athletes.. the Patriots organization will show Meriweather how to be an NFL player on and off the field.
  16. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

What I find funny about the criticism of Merriweather (not the stomping, but the gun incident) is that he didn't do anything any american citizen has the right to, and should have done. I'm not a big fan of the stomping crap, but when I heard, and read about the gun incident, I wasn't surprised to see people criticize him, when he should have been applauded. Sure, maybe shadyness got him into the situation, I don't know. All I do know is that he, by his 2nd Amendment right, had a licensed firearm, and only used it when his comrade had been shot. Considering what just happened at VaTech, you'd think people would look at the Merriweather ordeal a little differently. Of course, the anti-gun crowd will criticize anyone who has, or uses a weapon, regardless of the situations circumstances or legality. Again, the kid could be a total loser, I don't know him, so who knows, but the gun incident isn't anything he should be criticized for.
  17. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Perspective:

When I was in college I (like a lot of college kids) broke the law.

Within 4 months of graduation I disclosed everything fully in a U.S. Government intelligence background check and polygraph. I received a Top Secret/Special Intelligence security clearance and spent 5 + years with one of our intelligence agencies under the Reagan and Bush I Administrations.

.......and people are flying off the handle for Meriweather's college self-defense gun incident which was completely legal and subsequently cleared by Florida police????
  18. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Was the other guy ever caught or questioned? I read the account in today's Herald at lunch and it wasn't clear if there was any corroboration besides Meriwether and his friend with the sore backside. If its just those two, we really don't know what happened.