PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CBS Sports: Chandler Jones the #2 Impact Rookie this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it interesting how so many Pats fans have such low expectations for Chandler Jones' first year.....myself included. While most team's fans are counting on their top pick to be an instant impact player, the common wisdom here is that its more likely that Jones will follow JJP's career track, than JJ Watts or Aldon Smith's

Jet fans are already all in that Coples will be an instant impact player. Day by day his rep grows larger. After he was drafted most Jet fans thought he was a top 10 talent that dropped due to the coaching situation at NC. After he "dominated" :rolleyes: the non-contact underwear Olympics, otherwise known as the 3 day mini camps, he has now upgraded to being a top 5 talent who dropped into the Jets lap. By the time camp opens, he will be viewed as the second coming of Reggie White.

Hard to figure how much impact Jones will have this season. BB has never taken a player who figured to make the transition from college DE to a 3-4 OLB so early (much to our collective chagrin). Just because its the hardest transition for a college player to make. It took YEARS before players like Vrabel, Ninko, Colvin, and McGinest, could truly be counted on to be 3 down players at that position.

I think the evolution of NFL defenses has had a great deal to do with his surprising choice. Defenses have become so specialized and so specific that instead of 11 guys who are getting "starting" snaps, you have closer to 15. So while Jones may not be close to being ready to be the kind of 3 down 3-4 OLB we hope he will eventually become, he CAN make an immediate impact doing very specific things in various sub packages right away. And in THAT context he might surprise a few of us with his early play, which is a good thing. ;)

I like how people compare Jones to JPP and say it will take time to develop. JPP had 4.5 sacks in his rookie year, and exploded for 16.5 in his second year - and was instrumental in the Giants winning the Super Bowl last season. If that's slow, and if Chandler Jones takes that "long" to turn into a beast, I think we'll live with that...

That said, I don't know if the comparison is fair. Other than pure measurables, how do these guys compare? We'll find out.

The tape suggests Jones will be an impact player sooner than the draft pundits suggest, whose proclamations that he is "raw" now seem an arbitrary assessment based on the disconnect between his measurables and his production - when neither is the proper assessment tool, the tape is.

Last edited:
I like how people compare Jones to JPP and say it will take time to develop. JPP had 4.5 sacks in his rookie year, and exploded for 16.5 in his second year - and was instrumental in the Giants winning the Super Bowl last season. If that's slow, and if Chandler Jones takes that "long" to turn into a beast, I think we'll live with that...

That said, I don't know if the comparison is fair. Other than pure measurables, how do these guys compare? We'll find out.

The tape suggests Jones will be an impact player sooner than the draft pundits suggest, whose proclamations that he is "raw" now seem an arbitrary assessment based on the disconnect between his measurables and his production - when neither is the proper assessment tool, the tape is.

There is one big difference between JPP and Jones that I can see at this point that will make comparisons of their rookie years a little difference is that the Giants were stacked at DE in 2010 with Osi Umenyiora starting across from Justin Tuck. The Giants were able to ease him into the starting line up. Jones may be asked to play a bigger role early.

There is one big difference between JPP and Jones that I can see at this point that will make comparisons of their rookie years a little difference is that the Giants were stacked at DE in 2010 with Osi Umenyiora starting across from Justin Tuck. The Giants were able to ease him into the starting line up. Jones may be asked to play a bigger role early.

Great point. Our need for him to play a role will be greater, even if we re-sign Carter.

And I do hope we re-sign Carter. Time to take a cue from the Giants and get as many pass rushers as you can.

We could have our own Nascar front if everything pans out next year.

Exactly- if JPP is the comparable that you're working off of, then that's very good news for Jones' prospects of contributing early. I think people forget how divided the 'experts' were on JPP leading up to his draft, too. There were a whole lot of people who thought that he was nothing more than a superior athlete playing against weak competition at USF, to the point that Football Outsiders projected that he would have something like 3-4 career sacks.

Most of the red flags that people pointed out when discounting his ability, coincidentally enough, were the very same criticisms that the same people had about Jones three years later:

• 6.5 sacks in 13 games... why not more?
  • Especially considering that he didn't play against top-tier competition at USF
  • At 6'5, 270 pounds (at the combine, 260 playing weight at USF), he obviously needs to put on pounds to be effective
  • His 40 time was hardly eye-popping, and we all know that pass rushers routinely sprint 40 yards in a straight line :rolleyes:
  • Sure, he has 35 inch arms, but... so what? Why does that matter?

With only minor variations, these are exactly the reasons why people are as divided on Jones as they were on JPP.

Last edited:
I find it interesting how so many Pats fans have such low expectations for Chandler Jones' first year....

I find it comical how low expectations are for Jones. Not saying he's gonna kill it this year but many seem resigned to a redshirt year for Jones. Kinda silly when he is battling Bequette and Scott for PT.

It's hard to flat out come out and say that Jones will or will not have a big impact as a rookie. Chances of drafting an impact rookie pass rusher is one of the lowest percentages of all the positions.

Temper your expectations for draft's first-round pass rushers - NFL.com

However if you go solely off of measurements and college production JPP, Aldon Smith and Chandler Jones are all neck and neck. This article has been posted in several locations throughout this forum by various posters.

So you drafted Chandler Jones

And then you see the general consensus of Giants fans who know alot about JPP pre draft.

Chandler Jones to New York Giants a Popular Choice in Annual Giants 101 Mock-Off | Giants 101 | Sports Media 101

It's pretty hard to temper expectations for the guy but I think a lot of us are due to just being cautiously optimistic. Time will tell, but I am certainly hoping for a player with a mix between Andre Tippett,Willie McGinnist and Andre Carter. I just can't get my hopes up too high in fear of disappointment. My biggest hope is that he is a player that makes big strides during his rookie season and helps makes players around him better which gives more opportunities to for others to make plays.

I find it interesting how so many Pats fans have such low expectations for Chandler Jones' first year.....myself included. While most team's fans are counting on their top pick to be an instant impact player, the common wisdom here is that its more likely that Jones will follow JJP's career track, than JJ Watts or Aldon Smith's

Jet fans are already all in that Coples will be an instant impact player. Day by day his rep grows larger. After he was drafted most Jet fans thought he was a top 10 talent that dropped due to the coaching situation at NC. After he "dominated" :rolleyes: the non-contact underwear Olympics, otherwise known as the 3 day mini camps, he has now upgraded to being a top 5 talent who dropped into the Jets lap. By the time camp opens, he will be viewed as the second coming of Reggie White.
Thats why they're jest fans, and the reason they win the pre season SB every year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back