Welcome to PatsFans.com

CBS News just said....

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

That the east coast storms have caused layoffs, and up to 100,000 jobs. Huh? I might be totally wrong here, but they just said, as I'm watching, that people couldn't go to work for a week, to they filed for unemployement. WTF is that? That's sounds ridiculous to me. Am I wrong, or is what they just said on the evening news legit? Who files for unemployment cuz they got snowed in for a week? Who lays workers off cuz of a blizzard or two? That sounds kinda ridiculous IMO.
  2. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The news media is always creating stories to complain about. I remember one winter we had a very mild winter, and very little snow, and the media gave us all sob stories about the poor snowplows drivers who were suffering financially because they were losing so much income they normally receive.

That is what the media does. No matter what happens, they seek out stories to complain about things.
  3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I'm guessing gardeners, and pool supply companies. Tan-o-Rama and Flexible Flyer are hiring, though.
  4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 1 / -8

If you really heard that (and I believe you did), then CBS just announced to the entire country that they're a bunch of fools. No one in their right mind would apply for unemployment because snow kept them from work for a week. Besides, you can't collect until you've been out of work for at least 2 weeks.

It almost sounds as if someone was playing a prank it's so stupid.

5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

Cannot find it right now, but not sure there is a waiting period.. in the past when companies have closed for their vacation time people have gotten unemployment.. in the Blizzard of '78 people who were out of work that week got unemployment.. may have recently changed, but cannot find a link..

A quick and dirty search of RI unemployment indicates no waiting period..

Unemployment Insurance , Your Benefit Rights
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Speaking of tans, how does this guy from Ohio, on February 27th, have such a great tan?...even if his face doesn't match his hands. Maybe he wears gloves while golfing...

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  7. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

HAHAHA wistah, where the heck did you find that pic. The difference between his hands and his face is pretty amazing. And that's probably the worst tie I've ever seen.

As for blizzards causing layoffs - I can't imageine that. Maybe there was a correction/retraction by now?
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Google images "Behner tan"
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

Tan in a spray can....yes we can be tan
  10. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

That sounds a bit odd, but I suppose there are probably some small businesses that were teetering and simply could not handle the loss of business. But, I think to collect unemployment you have to be laid off; being snowed out isn't enough.

But, it looks like we're now talking about Boner's tan.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2010