PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CBS' Jim Nantz: Herald's LIEgate story X-factor in Pats' SB loss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's very possible that the Pats were affected, but I think a lot of people overlook the opposite end of the spectrum: What effect did this have on the NEW YORK GIANTS.

That defensive line played out of their minds for three quarters, enough so that I think they burnt almost all their energy. On the last full Pats drive, they looked gassed. I think the Giants used the accusations as a rallying cry:

"They cheated their way to three Super Bowls, don't let them do it for a fourth! They'll know what's coming and still not be able to stop us!"

That kind of thing. We are always quick to credit stupid things people say as motivation for the Patriots, I think there's a very good possibility the Giants did the same.

Unfortunately, it wasn't the Pats themselves that said something stupid, and the allegations turned out to false. Damage done. :rolleyes:

Good point. I was thinking the same thing. Even if it didn't distract the Patriots, maybe the Giants did get a little extra motivation out of the story.

Then again, does a team really need additional motivation at the Super Bowl?

I don't find this ridiculous excuse for poor performance to be "obvious." Maybe it's an obvious excuse, but it has NOTHING to do with the poor play on the field. Other than Light, no members of the offensive line that were beaten like redheaded stepchildren all day were on that 2001 team, so that would be one pretty lame excuse for them.

When a team is blindsided two days before the biggest game of their lives by a LIE which tells the whole world they cheated to win the most historic game in franchise history, humilating them in front of friends, family and the world...

When the hoax is trumpeted by a Senator and prominent, credible journalists as the biggest sports scandal since the black sox in 1919...

When the most powerful senator on the judiciary committee threatens the starting Qb on the morning of the SB with an interrogation in Washington the coming Tuesday...

When the coaching staff and scouting department et.al are huddled with lawyers the last 36 hours before the game...

When the accused have no time or opportunity to respond to the slanderous charge before taking the stage in front of 2 billion people....

You don't think that takes an emotional toll? You don't think that distracts a team slightly? You don't think that weighs on the mind of coaches?

What's ridiculous is that you are unable to see this as an obvious reason for the Pats' aberrant performance in SB 42.

Last edited:
When a team is blindsided two days before the biggest game of their lives by a LIE which tells the whole world they cheated to win the most historic game in franchise history, humilating them in front of friends, family and the world...

When the hoax is trumpeted by a Senator and prominent, credible journalists as the biggest sports scandal since the black sox in 1919...

When the most powerful senator on the judiciary committee threatens the starting Qb on the morning of the SB with an interrogation in Washington the coming Tuesday...

When the coaching staff and scouting department et.al are huddled with lawyers the last 36 hours before the game...

When the accused have no time or opportunity to respond to the slanderous charge before taking the stage in front of 2 billion people....

You don't think that takes an emotional toll? You don't think that distracts a team slightly? You don't think that weighs on the mind of coaches?

What's ridiculous is that you are unable to see this as an obvious reason for the Pats' aberrant performance in SB 42.

Awesome post. There was also the additional pressure of the first ever 19-0 season that they had been dealing with all year long. As BB said, this was the biggest game of their lives and they were ambushed by the conspiracy of Spectre, his little Gollum Walsh (my precious!), the scandal salivating ESPN, and their stooge, Mr. Tomase

What was the reason for the Rams "aberrant performance" in SB XXXVI??? You act as if all the Pats had to do was take the field with a clear mind and the game was won. You are discounting the effect the other team can have on a team's play. (The only guy who potentially gets a pass is Moss, who was going through a legitimate personal issue).

What's more likely, the Giants defensive line physically manhandled the pats offensive line because they are better athletes and the Pats couldn't adjust on the fly, or rumors of a potential scandal THAT DID NOT INVOLVE 4/5 OF THE OFFENSIVE LINE so flustered the players that they could not focus on the trivial task at hand - WINNING THE SB??!!

Just like with every SB favorite who ends up losing, some fans just won't accept the fact that their team got whupped.

Why do you assume when we say it was a reason that we mean it was the ONLY reason?

I believe it contributed and nothing will ever convince me otherwise.

Excellent post...

To all WEEI hosts a**holes who claim that it did not affect the game, they are pathetic a**holes.

My conclusion: It might not have affected the players or even their preparation. But such a bombshell news might have affected BB. When you hear any such bad news, you will get nervous or lose focus. BB knows there are lot of haters in ESPN, NY media including racists such as Chris Farter. He knows they will try to rip PATS and BB to shreds using this excuse. The news has to affect him psychologically.

I think the game had several poor coaching decisions: Not trying for Field Goal, last 3 throws even when we had 3 TO and down by 3, lack of adjustments after first half.

I think the rumor affected BB's focus and judgment. We will never know since he will never talk.

But the Specter, NYTimes, Walsh, Tomase all were hoping to throw the bombshell and destroy BB. If his focus affected by 2%, they succeeded in that.

Last edited:
Why do you assume when we say it was a reason that we mean it was the ONLY reason?

I believe it contributed and nothing will ever convince me otherwise.

It may have contributed, like any number of things may have contributed. But to say it was the "x-factor" indicates that it was the key to the loss. If you want to talk about intangible things, I would say the pressure of the whole season being for naught if they lost, the talk of "being part of ever"; the arrogance that they were going to score way more than 17 pts., contributed far more.

BTW, if it was the "x-factor" that is absolutely pathetic on the part of the players. If someone wrongfully calls you a cheater, it seems the way to react would be to go out and kick a** fair and square, not lose your focus and play a bad game, thereby giving more credence to the accusation.

It may have contributed, like any number of things may have contributed. But to say it was the "x-factor" indicates that it was the key to the loss. If you want to talk about intangible things, I would say the pressure of the whole season being for naught if they lost, the talk of "being part of ever"; the arrogance that they were going to score way more than 17 pts., contributed far more.

BTW, if it was the "x-factor" that is absolutely pathetic on the part of the players. If someone wrongfully calls you a cheater, it seems the way to react would be to go out and kick a** fair and square, not lose your focus and play a bad game, thereby giving more credence to the accusation.

If you are going to list all the factors that contributed to the SB loss, this would certainly be one of them. I am on the fence about how 'key' it was.

I would look into the fact that all the Pats players and coaches - and most of the fans - give credit to the Giants for playing and coaching better that day. Period.

I disagree with you on your last paragraph though. Many - not 'someone' - called them a 'cheater' after the Jets taping incident and the result was a historic undefeated regular reason record. That is inspite of the constant negative attention and the steadily increasing pressure/expectation that started once a perfect season seemed possible. So, hats off to the team - which did exactly what you said during the regular season.

However, note that the team had four/five days to absorb, react and plan right after the taping incident broken out. Read PonyExpress' excellent last post again to realize that it would have been impossible for any professional to maintain focus when the football world, thanks to some well timed 'new' negative article and the fire it started, is openly questioning your integrity again and all your achievements right on the eve of a historic final game.

IMO, had BH and Mr. Tomase chosen to fart their obnoxious fume the week prior to the SB, this distraction would not have been that significant.

I'm not getting into the semantics between contributions and X-factors, since there may have been a bunch of small contributions and no real X factors. IMO, a team that had faced so much pressure all season long couldn't afford another distraction, no matter how "small" (and at least as to the coaching staff, I do not believe this was small). Even if it was merely the straw that broke the camel's back, it was unforgiveable and inexcusable, especially when the "writer" could have and SHOULD have waited until he knew he actually had something.

I think the Pats should buy an Indianapolis newspaper and transfer Tomase out there and he makes up his lies about the Colts.

What you said is FACT...what leketro said is just his opinion...and a very poor one at that.

No team in super bowl history has ever had to deal with such an immense obstacle. I think we all know by now that this was planned. I believe it was part of the continuing media effort to have Belichik suspended or removed from coaching all together. They felt they HAD to do something to prevent what they considered "the cheating Patriots" from going 19-0

I STILL find it hard to believe that lowly reporter actually believe they have that power...and that right!:mad: I started to think I was imagining things until I watched the reaction to the walsh meetings. He had NOTHING, yet our national media has reacted as if he had everything they needed to "impeach" Belichik.

Talk about arrogance!

While I would like to think this is the reason the Pats lost the SB (and it may have contributed), the fact is the team really seemed to lose focus after beating the Steelers in the regular season. They barely won the two games before this game (let's face it, they should have lost to Baltimore).
Their wins against the woeful Jets and Fins were not very convincing. The Giants game was won by the skin of their teeth. The Chargers playoff game was ugly to say the least.

It seemed like the wheels were starting to come off already. The Pats were dealing with distraction all season and playing through it. It's tough to say that new allegations would suddenly cause the team to fall apart. If anything it was probably motivation for them to prove to everyone they could win the SB with all eyes on them looking for signs of foul play.

Last edited:
to letekro :
Dude, how can u be so f... ignorant ... the star QB gets threaten with a hearing in DC ... star receiver get acused of asault and batter (or what the f... is called) ... HC's accomplishments are dragged through dirt by a low life reporter ... all that don't add up to a ... to say the least ... a small distraction that made the difference ... after all there were just 3 points ... Giants were the better team ... hands down .. but ... open your f... eyes u dumb a...

Last edited:
Just thought I would post something tangentially related to this question about SPygate wearing the Patriots down before the Super Bowl.

This is Bill Simmons on a worn down Kevin Garnett:

Note No. 2: "KG Head-Butt"
After a brutal Game 5, Kevin Garnett admitted afterward he "played like garbage." This made me happy. We needed him to show up for Game 6, and as I wrote Tuesday, it sure seemed like he was either A.) shrinking from the moment, or B.) totally worn down from keeping his engine in fifth gear for the duration of a grueling 107-game season. Before the opening tip, Garnett stood in front of the basket near Boston's bench, muttered a few things to psyche himself up and finally head-butted the basket support as hard as he could. Watching from about 50 feet away, my Dad and I raced to make the "Uh-oh, I think we're getting the KG from the regular season tonight" comment.

[+] Enlarge
Kobe Bryant

Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE/Getty Images

Kobe and Co. looked like they wanted to catch a flight home at halftime.
And that's exactly what happened. Garnett finished with 26 points and 14 rebounds and played his usual terrific defense, but more importantly, he found his swagger again, a level of passion and intensity that's unique to him and only him. Now I'm convinced Garnett just wore himself down as the playoffs went along. The whole thing meant too much to him; he wanted it too badly. By the end of Game 5, a cooked Garnett was standing flat-footed in the paint as key rebounds ricocheted by him in every direction. For someone who once averaged 15 boards a game, it seemed almost incomprehensible that he couldn't grab any of them. Was he choking? Was he injured? What the hell? Now we know the answer -- if the season wore him down, then Tuesday night's crowd gave him one last energy boost, like 18,000 people were pouring a giant Red Bull down his throat. He ended up playing a monster game when Boston needed it most, and if there was a signature KG moment, it had to be the three-point play near the end of the first half when he hopped into the paint, got knocked to the floor and flung a line drive as he was falling that banked in, followed by Garnett lying on the floor with his arms raised, screaming at the ceiling.

Let the record show KG played one of his greatest games to help clinch a championship. It's something Elvin Hayes can't say, or Karl Malone, or Patrick Ewing, or Chris Webber, or anyone else from the not-so-clutch group that Garnett escaped. Much like John Elway after the '97 Super Bowl, any lingering questions about Garnett's ability to raise his game in big moments vanished into thin air for good Tuesday night. They will never be asked again. It's funny how a championship can do that.

This kind of speaks to the perception that a grueling year can wear you down even during a championship.

PS Notice that even whem I'm reading about the Celtics on the day that they win a championship, I'm still thinking mostly about the Patriots.

Last edited:
The SB loss to me was a series of events that combined to produce an inferior effort from the team on that day. Did Tomasse's story have an impact on the players and coaching staff? Absolutely. Did the Giants D line play the game of their lives? Yes. Was our coaching staff slow to make adjustments when usually there is no staff better at doing exactly that? Yes. Were we outcoached? Yes! Was the team mentally drained from a long gruelling season? Yes. Was Brady's health (foot) a factor? Probably! Did the Giants benefit from some luck on that last drive? Most definately!
All these factors combined to create The Perfect Storm, which scuttled our perfect ending. You could not replicate these factors again, in the right time frame, in a million years!
Hey, ***** happens. That's why they play the games!

The SB loss to me was a series of events that combined to produce an inferior effort from the team on that day. Did Tomasse's story have an impact on the players and coaching staff? Absolutely. Did the Giants D line play the game of their lives? Yes. Was our coaching staff slow to make adjustments when usually there is no staff better at doing exactly that? Yes. Were we outcoached? Yes! Was the team mentally drained from a long gruelling season? Yes. Was Brady's health (foot) a factor? Probably! Did the Giants benefit from some luck on that last drive? Most definately!
All these factors combined to create The Perfect Storm, which scuttled our perfect ending. You could not replicate these factors again, in the right time frame, in a million years!

Very well put. I couldn't agree with you more. :(

I agree too, and you forgot to mention the additional pressure of the constant media obsession with their "Pursuit of Perfection" story, the Toxic Mercury Morris Media Circus, the Don Schula "asterisk" firestorm, and so forth that all combined to add to the burnout factor.

Last edited:
Very well put. I couldn't agree with you more. :(

I feel quite strongly that this season will be as wonderful as last and we will take it all the way.

One key thing the Celtic did in their final championship game was not to take their huge 3q lead for granted, as they did in Game 2 and lost some focus/momentum before gaining it in the last minutes.

Similarly, I expect the Pats to have learned from last year on how the media can turn every joker into a prophet and potray any innocuous incident as a huge controversy at the mere hint of the Pats name or Pats player being involved it.

I expect us to completely shut out the media distractions this year and not lose focus or get distracted until we host the SB and in the process, set another historic season.

Can't wait for the season to start. GO PATS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes