PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CBS' Jim Nantz: Herald's LIEgate story X-factor in Pats' SB loss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I got out of just watching the segment on NFLN was that Nance gets it, and it troubles and saddens him, and as he listened to him even Eisen looked uncomfortable. He was indicting the sports media. In their rush to gain a competitive advantage they are breaking all their own longstanding and well reasoned rules. Gee, the same thing they eviscerated BB for... Nance articulated something I was thinking earlier today, how the problem is compounded because as each one reports others feel compelled to immediately add layers based on that report. By the time you find out the original report was unfounded, it's too late to peel back those layers and put the proverbial genie back in the bottle. And potentially reputations if not lives are on some level irreparably damaged. He cited the Duke players as one example. And to what end, only so some mediot could be first and others could quickly add their two cents. He doesn't know what the answer is either because how can you enforce/police the rules short of endless slander and libel suits. Schefter seemed to be more willing to write it off to society as it is.

I was listening to Felger late this afternoon, as he flip flopped around on the fence, and at one point I was so incensed because he was making a case that Walsh's story rang true because he got promoted to a scout after that Superbowl. Only that's not true. Pioli stated several weeks ago that Walsh's move out of the video department to scouting was a lateral move. He remained in an entry level position, just assigned to another department where instead of taping games and practices he was editing footing packages for college players actual scouts were following. They are lazy and careless. They report second hand information and can't even get that right because they are too consumed with getting their poorly reasoned snap judgement on the record so some other half baked mediot can reference it.

I think Felger's struggles with detail and fact, and hazy and inexact recollections are the result of sustained drug use, something he flaunted when I used to listen to him 12+ months ago. I think his brain has been somewhat damaged, not enough to prevent him from appearing reasonably normal, but enough to affect the sharpness of his memory and his ability to use logic. This makes him too damaged to be taken seriously as a reporter, but just right for a gossip at a hair salon.

Last edited:
A few things

1 Jim Nantz, is the eppitmy of Class, and dignity.. I enjoy his brodcasts wheather its football, masters or ncaa final four

2 Tom Brady basically said the same thing, but Espn things it was a shot at them, but its a shot at journalist in society... Snap shot moments,and that is what the drive by media reacts.. And Espn is good at that....

3 Again, I wont put the total blame on this,but I didnt feel good when that story broke and was talked about for 3 days when the talk should have been perfection... The Giants were the better team that day, but just like the media is always going to have a what if we so called didnt cheat, what if this story never came out... And for that sole reason John tommose should not be on the Pats beat...

Last edited:
There is NO excuse for the Pats sorry ass performance in that game. It will forever remain the biggest choke in Boston sports history.

God bless Nantz. But let's keep perspective here.

He's the CBS guy who will be telecasting at least 4-6 times from a barcalounger in Bob Kraft's brand new CBS Scene at Gillette.

That being said, after watching that a second time, he makes a very solid, fundamental point.

Doesn't change what he said, but you are right. That's how it will get spun.

But isn't the game plan already in place by Saturday? Of course those resources might have picked something else up on film, but there's no guarantee. External locii of control are not the Patriots' way. :)

apple strudel...as in "The Big Apple" strudel?:rolleyes:

For you to seriously believe any team could just get on with the game as if nothing had happened without missing a beat after this lie was broadcast around the world on the eve of the game is assanine at the very least.

Of course as fans, we shouldn't shouldn't make excuses and we already know the Patriots players & coach never will. But I am telling you for a fact, it could be the very reason we lost that game.

It could be the reason coach Belichik walked off the field so quickly. The man worked his tail off all year under a microscope and pulled of 18 consecutive wins only to have this BS explode on the SB eve.

But, you're right, it REALLY wasn't a big deal:rolleyes:

Last edited:
There is NO excuse for the Pats sorry ass performance in that game. It will forever remain the biggest choke in Boston sports history.

Go and pout somewhere else ok?

But isn't the game plan already in place by Saturday? Of course those resources might have picked something else up on film, but there's no guarantee. External locii of control are not the Patriots' way. :)

Irrespective of how professional you are, I doubt if you will remain unaffected (and lose focus slightly) if after battling an entire season of accusations of being 'cheaters', you are suddenly accused - on the eve of a historic final game - of sensational 'cheating' of an even more higher magnitude that calls into question the very integrity of your game, your achievements and your honor.

Whether or not they admit it, the slander-tsunami just before the SB was the last that the Pats expected and IMO, did not give them enough time to recover from the negative media onslaught and turn their attention back to the game and the game planning.

I give full credit for the Giants outstanding play and fully think they deserved that well fought victory on SB. But, I think the stench of this slander was enough to make every Patriot on the field puke a little and not be 100% on the field.

For you to seriously believe any team could just get on with the game as if nothing had happened without missing a beat after this lie was broadcast around the world on the eve of the game is assanine at the very least.

Of course as fans, we shouldn't shouldn't make excuses and we already know the Patriots players & coach never will. But I am telling you for a fact, it could be the very reason we lost that game.

It could be the reason coach Belichik walked off the field so quickly. The man worked his tail off all year under a microscope and pulled of 18 consecutive wins only to have this BS explode on the SB eve.

Following the Patriots under Belichick, I've learned that they are a tenacious team with tremendous focus that emphasizes worrying about your job, and not the guy next to you. Compartmentalized as they are, it is reasonable to believe that the team could be insulated enough to minimize or even eliminate any influence the story might have had on the team. Of course, it's pretty fruitless to argue about it because the impact can't be quantified, but this organization's entire philosophy relies on eliminating the impact of distractions. Plus, I'm not keen on excuses. They lost on the field, on that last drive. John Tomase was not defending David Tyree.

the defense that the gints used was something that the pats hadn't seen before. I don't see how having less distraction during practice would have helped them prepare for this.

the defense that the gints used was something that the pats hadn't seen before. I don't see how having less distraction during practice would have helped them prepare for this.

I'll say it again: Belichick was outcoached to a ridiculous degree. It took him THREE QUARTERS to adjust on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball (when's the last time you've seen something like that?)

There's no proving that it had any effect--but then again there's no disproving it, either. I will absolutely never say that it's the REASON why they lost the game, but as I said in my other post: it certainly didn't help matters.

I found the comparison to the Duke Lacrosse team very significant.

By Sunday, will Arlen Specter be Mike Nifong?

I agree. Adam S. is very incitful and draws a perfect analogy to a very similar situation.

I think it's very possible that the Pats were affected, but I think a lot of people overlook the opposite end of the spectrum: What effect did this have on the NEW YORK GIANTS.

That defensive line played out of their minds for three quarters, enough so that I think they burnt almost all their energy. On the last full Pats drive, they looked gassed. I think the Giants used the accusations as a rallying cry:

"They cheated their way to three Super Bowls, don't let them do it for a fourth! They'll know what's coming and still not be able to stop us!"

That kind of thing. We are always quick to credit stupid things people say as motivation for the Patriots, I think there's a very good possibility the Giants did the same.

Unfortunately, it wasn't the Pats themselves that said something stupid, and the allegations turned out to false. Damage done. :rolleyes:

I have said it before and I will say it again...Jim Nantz is a Peyton Manning ballwasher. That being said, his commentary is spot on. Did it have an impact on a perfect season, right before the biggest game in the history of the franchise? Maybe. At least he is bringing this up.

I have a new found respect for Nantz. heck, maybe I will go out and buy his book.

It's really hard to say what impact the story had on the Pats as a team. I mean you'd like to think that they are professionals so this shouldn't bother them. And you'd also like to think that Moss' scandal with that gold digger didn't bother him. But these guys are human. So it's hard to measure what effect the 'drama' had on them. I'm sure it couldn't have helped. Not with them on the verge of making history.

But we'll never be able to measure, quantify, or even guess what actual impact it had. Even if these were in fact negative factors, I'm not willing to accept them as excuses. The Pats had the better team but they failed to execute, and they failed to adjust to what the Giants were doing until it was too late. A loss is a loss. 19-0 may never come again, but that's fine. Just win us a Superbowl this year Patriots!

Last edited:
I've never been one to make excuses about our loss, instead pinning the blame on the Giants' D-Line executing their game plan to perfection. But then I look back on what Specter said and look back on the game Brady played. He said his ankle was fine but he just looked non-existant on the field. He was horribly missing throws that normally he would have hit with ease. Moss streaking across an open field then getting overthrown by 10 yards comes to mind immediately. Brady just didn't look like his mind was on the game, not to mention the fact that he probably took more hits than any other QB in Super Bowl history in that game. All of these things spelled a recipe for disaster. Was the distraction the X-Factor? Possibly. Without Brady, our offense sputters and it showed in the biggest game in NFL history. I will never forgive the Boston Herald for this but I also refuse to put 100% of the blame on them for the loss either.

All sports are 90% mental, 10% physical. How else can you explain draft busts, 6th round HOFers, chokes, clutch players, sudden declines, rapid improvements, upsets, etc etc. Ask BB how much of the game is mental, he is so successful because of his mental preparation and motivation.

Having said that, I think it had some kind of effect. To what extent, I have no idea. But it sure as hell didn't help.

Following the Patriots under Belichick, I've learned that they are a tenacious team with tremendous focus that emphasizes worrying about your job, and not the guy next to you. Compartmentalized as they are, it is reasonable to believe that the team could be insulated enough to minimize or even eliminate any influence the story might have had on the team. Of course, it's pretty fruitless to argue about it because the impact can't be quantified, but this organization's entire philosophy relies on eliminating the impact of distractions. Plus, I'm not keen on excuses. They lost on the field, on that last drive. John Tomase was not defending David Tyree.

But...it could have been a blowout by the 4th quarter which would have made that last drive null & void.

You comment as if you believe the Patriots are a machine void of any human element. I don't care how compartmentalized & insulated you believe they are, they are a FOOTBALL team comprised of men driven by emotion.

And maybe, just maybe, their emotion was drained by game time that Sunday.

what's their excuse for the largest blown lead in afc cg history then?

come on, the pats just choke in the playoffs sometimes

But...it could have been a blowout by the 4th quarter which would have made that last drive null & void.

You comment as if you believe the Patriots are a machine void of any human element. I don't care how compartmentalized & insulated you believe they are, they are a FOOTBALL team comprised of men driven by emotion.

And maybe, just maybe, their emotion was drained by game time that Sunday.

But wait, weren't most (if not all) Pats fans saying the team could use EVERY peripheral storyline as "fuel" to motivate them? Spygate was motivation, Brady's fathering issue was motivation, Harrison's drug issue was motivation, Moss' alleged trouble with his girl was motivation. If I remember correctly, the supposed tapes of the Rams game was also fuel for the fire for the Pats. And now it's partially responsible for their loss?? You must be kidding me. None of those other issues had any negative impact on their performance. Why would this? You can't have it both ways. Man up and accept the loss for what it was. If Spygate didn't help you win previous Superbowls, how did this make you lose one?

Last edited:
But wait, weren't most (if not all) Pats fans saying the team could use EVERY peripheral storyline as "fuel" to motivate them? Spygate was motivation, Brady's fathering issue was motivation, Harrison's drug issue was motivation, Moss' alleged trouble with his girl was motivation. If I remember correctly, the supposed tapes of the Rams game was also fuel for the fire for the Pats. And now it's partially resposible for their loss?? You must be kidding me. None of those other issues had any negative impact on their performance. Why would this? You can't have it both ways. Man up and accept the loss for what it was. If Spygate didn't help you win previous Superbowls, how did this make you lose one?

What would you two ***clowns know about SB prssure anyway? You're Chargers fans! Bwahahhah

PS. Your cheerleaders are hot. And your rb is a ****y.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back