PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CBS cut to another game before Pats - Fins was over in the LA market

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, consider yourself fortunate I guess. Maybe it has something to do with east coast feeds versus west coast feeds. At least where I was the game got switched back several minutes later; others elsewhere were not quite so lucky.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...cbs-stops-broadcasting-game-after-52-0-a.html
There's a difference between networks switching over and Sunday Ticket switching over. I suspect the latter was a mistake as opposed to the way it's supposed to work.

Well, consider yourself fortunate I guess. Maybe it has something to do with east coast feeds versus west coast feeds. At least where I was the game got switched back several minutes later; others elsewhere were not quite so lucky.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...cbs-stops-broadcasting-game-after-52-0-a.html

I'll second that from the Chicago market. Can't get the Sunday Ticket game when its shown locally. Then, when the network shifts because of a blowout, you wait, wait, wait, and hope that the game comes on the Ticket and you haven't missed too much. I also had an experience in Florida a few years back when the Ticket completely blew the coverage and did not show the Patriots game. They said they were sorry.

Remember that it cuts both ways meaning you'd miss the end of Pats games too just as we did.

That pretty much sums it up for me. If I have to choose between risking missing the first possession and risking missing the last possession... I'll take missing the first possession every time.

it must be different for someone who lives in south eastern ma because i didn't miss one second of the pats game. i watched on cbs via comcast.

Last edited:
I'll second that from the Chicago market. Can't get the Sunday Ticket game when its shown locally. Then, when the network shifts because of a blowout, you wait, wait, wait, and hope that the game comes on the Ticket and you haven't missed too much. I also had an experience in Florida a few years back when the Ticket completely blew the coverage and did not show the Patriots game. They said they were sorry.
Are you sure the bolded part is still true ? That's how it used to be last year and before but it isn't anymore for me.

Are you sure the bolded part is still true ? That's how it used to be last year and before but it isn't anymore for me.

Absolutely. I always go to the Sunday Ticket first and when I see it's not on, go to my other set (large screen) and watch it locally. (I subsribe to both AT&T and Direct TV).
When I surf the ticket, there's usually a blocked game which is seen on the regular network.

The "contractually obligated" part is right.

Here are the rules, since CBS had the double header, the late game SD/NYG game was dubbed the National game of the week by CBS. The only markets that got to stay to the end of the Pats/MIA game were NE and MIA. That's usually how it goes.

Notice sometimes during the second game of a DH, there are times the networks go most of the first quarter before taking a timeout? That's because there are other games going on and they want every game finished....to maximize TV viewership for commercials.

Unless the game is in your home market, you're screwed as other's have pointed out!

Hope that helps.

Not entirely true - see comment #15.

Earlier this year when the Pats beat the Titans, the networks switched to a 'more competitive game' - the Jets game as I recall - and the switch was also made on the Sunday Ticket. Directv eventually did switch back, but the other game was on for several minutes.

I watched the game on the local CBS station in Los Angeles and then when they announced that they would be switching to another game, I tuned to the Directv channel that is part of the NFL package and didn't miss a snap.

Basically, if the game is on a local channel, they will not broadcast it on the Directv NFL channel at the same time. However, if they switch to another game on the local channel, simply switch to the appropriate Directv NFL channel and the game should be on. How is that for confusing?? :)

Last edited:
Basically, if the game is on a local channel, they will not broadcast it on the Directv NFL channel at the same time. However, if they switch to another game on the local channel, simply switch to the appropriate Directv NFL channel and the game should be on. How is that for confusing?? :)

Because sometimes that switch doesn't actually happen.

I give CBS' SF affiliate credit as they were contractually obligated to show the Titans/49ers that kicked off @ 1:15pm. They waited until about 1:12 or so before switching over, which meant I caught all but the final 12 seconds of the Pats/Miami game. In prior years, the local affiliate switched much earlier (1:05pm or so) in order to bombard viewers with commercials until the 1:15pm kickoff. Not this time.

I was worried as Pats/Fish didn't get to halftime until 11:40am. I figured a big chunk of the game was going to get cut off, but then Miami opened the 2nd half with that 10 minute drive that killed clock and suddenly the game appeared to be back on track to get done before the 2nd game.

Way to go, Dolphins!

Regards,
Chris

Hah the opposite happened where I live, they cut to the Pats/Fins game to show the end. Can't recall if the Ravens/Bungles game was done yet, probably was.

this is correct.

I remember earlier in the season, the raiders/giants game was on locally and blacked out on Sunday Ticket. Giants were slaughtering the raiders and CBS switched games, then it became available on the ticket.

Basically, if the game is on a local channel, they will not broadcast it on the Directv NFL channel at the same time.
That's not true anymore, not for me anyway. It was last year.

I watched the game on the local CBS station in Los Angeles and then when they announced that they would be switching to another game, I tuned to the Directv channel that is part of the NFL package and didn't miss a snap.

I completely agree that it's not confusing at all; at least it shouldn't be to anybody that has had Sunday Ticket for more than one weekend.

Key phrase is in your next-to-last sentence: "should be on". The problem is that doesn't always happen; you can see comment #15 and the link in comment #22 for examples of that switchover not always working the way it should.

Now if we could just convince Directv to show the games everywhere on both the local channel as well as the 700 channel like they do in BelichickFan's neighborhood, nobody would have to worry about these switches.

Evidently, in Los Angelos you don't miss a play. In other areas of the country, you wait. Not confused at all. Did you read the posts stating that we missed parts of the game, or did you think we just made that part up?

As I understand it, LA is a secondary market for the Chargers, which means that they are required to show all Chargers road games from start to finish, which is why the local station cut away early. It's a good rule, of course. Imagine if we had to wait until midway through the first quarter because some random Jets-Jaguars game went to OT? We'd go ballistic... now the merits of LA being a Chargers secondary market... that's a different story...

The "contractually obligated" part is right.

Here are the rules, since CBS had the double header, the late game SD/NYG game was dubbed the National game of the week by CBS. The only markets that got to stay to the end of the Pats/MIA game were NE and MIA. That's usually how it goes.

Odd... it stayed on Pats/MIA here in Minny until the very end. Same during the Pats/Titans blowout as well that others reported got switched to the Jets/Bills game at some point.

Speaking of games getting cut off before the end wasn't there that game against the Bills from 1998 or so that got cut off before the game winning field goal? My memory is a bit fuzzy so maybe someone can remind me a bit more on that.

Odd... it stayed on Pats/MIA here in Minny until the very end. Same during the Pats/Titans blowout as well that others reported got switched to the Jets/Bills game at some point..

Wierd, we got cut off in the titans game (chicago)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes