Welcome to PatsFans.com

CBS columnist: Polian belongs in HOF

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by TrueBeliever, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrueBeliever

TrueBeliever Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

2. oldskool138

oldskool138 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

He belongs in the Donche Bag HoF.
  3. xmarkd400x

xmarkd400x Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

For all the haters:

Who wouldn't want Polian to become the Pats' personnel man? I hate him as much as the next guy, but you can't deny what he's done with the Colts.
  4. oldskool138

oldskool138 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

*raises hand* Me.
  5. Jackson 2

Jackson 2 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 2 / -8

#12 Jersey

I can't stand him, but it's undeniable that he's a terrific personnel guy. An absolute d-bag, but very good at what he does.
  6. TrueBeliever

TrueBeliever Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah, I love his philosophy: If at first you don't succeed, change the rules until you do.
  7. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +94 / 3 / -1

Polian has a track record of success and looks out for his own; I have no problem with that and I have no problem with his grandstanding on the rules and with the officials to get his team any advantage he can. I don't know whether that puts him in Canton, though, as I think Pioli will give him a run for his money as this era's top manager of a franchise's personnel if he repeats his success in KC.

Belichick and Polian are probably the two guys in the "management" of the NFL today who are most despised outside their home towns. If you get at the root of a Jets' fan's hatred of BB, it's that he isn't THEIR coach. And, yeah, I'd take Polian as Pats' GM in a heartbeat if Belichick ever hangs 'em up, but all of New England wouldn't be big enough for the two of them if they had to work together.
  8. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

polian and BB are souldmates....

they're both great football minds who are also total a-holes
  9. SanAngeloState

SanAngeloState Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Polian stacks his OL with UDFAs, one starter was substitute teaching and living in his parents' basement not long ago.

His defense isn't drafted much higher.

They sign very few FAs.

Yet they have a good/great defense and a top notch offense every year.

We do the opposite. We have a defense littered with #1 picks. We have very strict physical requirements as to who can play our defense which makes high picks a necessity. It's a complicated defense which adds to confusion and last year it wasn't very good.

Who is the genius? The guy spinning dross into gold or gold into dross?
  10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +274 / 10 / -26

BB is what you described, you obviously do not know the man very well.. one time was at a function for Amer-I-Can which was founded by Jim Brown and he was the speaker that night..

Jim Brown said:

11. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ice_Ice_Brady Rookie

Ratings:
    +91 / 2 / -1

I thought this was already a given. When you go 3/3 on building teams, with two of them getting multiple Super Bowl appearances, you are a Hall of Famer.
  12. tobias funke

tobias funke Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

He's a douche and a hall of famer. There's no reason why he can't be both.
  13. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 4 / -3

Bill Polian forced players to sit out a potential undefeated season.

Would I want him heading the Patriots?

No.
  14. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +41 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

15. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

ok....you saw him as a speaker......you know him well :rolleyes:
  16. oldskool138

oldskool138 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

I liked him in Mar Attacks!
  17. TrueBeliever

TrueBeliever Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well, I do have to admit that this was why I hated BB's guts, and Weis's too, when they were with the NYJ. I lumped them all together with Parcells.

Similarly, I thought it was absolutely stupid of Jets fans to talk trash in the late '90s because the only reason the Jets suddenly became better than the Pats was they now had the Pats' former coach and top RB (as well as punter and God knows how many others.) Also makes me wonder how many Vikings fans proudly wearing a purple Favre jersey this year wanted him to get hit by a bus not too long ago.

But anyway, I still prefer BB's method - when he finds a problem on his team, he makes changes to his team; while NaPolian tries to make the whole league change to accommodate his team's problem.
  18. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

While he is not such a great guy there is NO one in the business who is better at drafting players and getting players to fit well in his system and that includes Pioli and Belichick.

Polian may be an as$hole...but he is a brilliant as$hole
  19. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Well, he certainly put some nice teams together in Buffalo. And they haven't exactly been a worldbeater since he was fired...

Carolina is to me a little overstated. 7-9 to 12-4 to 7-9 (and 4-12 after he departed which led to Capers canning) is really more an expansion fluke. He drafted a QB for them who turned out to be a pissa in more ways than one, an alcoholic who actually quit on the team four games into his third season... Then of course there was the little matter of his selecting a first round WR who is currently doing life without parole...

Had Manning not been available to him with the #1 pick (which he indeed made the correct selection) who's to say this team he built could win at all. Most pundits seem to be of the opinion they could not, which is why Peyton wins so many regular seaon MVP awards. Had Eli been Archie's middle son, or Peyton decided to come out as a junior as is the norm nowadays, whose to say how Polian's time in Indy would be being judged...He inherited Harrison and Marshall Faulk (whom he flipped for Edge after one season). Mora Sr. was an emotional wreck he was fortunate to replace with someone who by record shouldn't have been available...And the circumstances worked out so he was able to retain the offensive staff Mora had built. Out of the gate he was given the kind of truly unfettered control, by an overmatched but well intentioned milk toast owner desperate to redeem the sins of the father, that few personnel men ever achieve. He has had his share of busts and disappointments including one expensive, durability related one in the draft that get glossed over. His LT of the future is a backup RT. His 3rd round selections don't often pan out and one recently retired after his rookie season. His lone foray into elite FA was an unmitigated disaster (Simon). He has built a "dynasty" (according to this author) that has gone to 2 Superbowls in his 12 year tenure and won one to date. They have certainly been consistently competitive in the last decade, particularly since being shuffled into the largely uncompetitive AFCS... His QB has been extremely durable to date. He is certainly a master manipulator, and he has made excellent use of his slot on the NFL Competition Committee to insure the league emphasizes whatever he believes is in the best interest of his franchise model. And after grooming his son to follow in his footsteps, his goal was certainly to build a Polian "dynasty"...

That said, I think he achieved SOB deserving of HOF consideration once he finally built a team that could win a ring, while a guy like BB who is both architect and schematic genius and HC became a lock based also on his record with the Giants as DC when he won his second ring as a HC. The third ring elevated BB to first ballot lock. If Indy prevails on Sunday Polian is probably a lock. If they don't but they continue to dominate their division and/or win again in Manning's career he is probably a lock. He is somewhat unique, not the field general or the owner but certainly the single driving force behind the Colts success not named Manning. I do think in acknowledging his contribution however Irsay will be out of contention entirely for consideration as a owner no matter what transpires going forward. Whereas here both Bill and Kraft will ultimately get in and depending on how things go in his future Pioli, though it would take another ring, has a shot. We could end up with almost as many FO types in the HOF from our dynasty as players.
  20. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 1 / -0

BILL POLIAN is a no-brainer Hall of Famer. I hate the guy, but let's be real.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.