PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CBA and the Lockout

Status
Not open for further replies.

aabtec

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I think that everyone agrees that a lockout is bad for business but I wonder if a few franchises might actually fold.

If you look at the Panthers, Bengals and Bills they could easily be out of business.

The owners seem to be missing the fact that just because there will not be a Pro football game does not mean that there will be no football. In the Carolinas there is college football.

The Bengals could easily loose alot of their season ticket holders to Ohio State.

Well, the Bills have one of the smallest season ticket holder list.

I think the owners better look at the ramifications of what a lockout will do.

The teams will continue to get their TV money, with or without a lockout. Granted, it will cost them down the line as that's money that they won't get later, but in the short term it gives them enough leverage to more or less dictate to the players what they want. It's not really in the players' best interest, after all, for their employers to be cash-strapped.

I think that everyone agrees that a lockout is bad for business but I wonder if a few franchises might actually fold.

If you look at the Panthers, Bengals and Bills they could easily be out of business.

The owners seem to be missing the fact that just because there will not be a Pro football game does not mean that there will be no football. In the Carolinas there is college football.

The Bengals could easily loose alot of their season ticket holders to Ohio State.

Well, the Bills have one of the smallest season ticket holder list.

I think the owners better look at the ramifications of what a lockout will do.
I think you're vastly exaggerating the positions these teams are in.

If they were truly in such a precarious financial state that they could easily go bankrupt, then they would have sold their teams some time ago.

In addition, even if there is no football in 2011, the owners still receive their money from the television contracts with CBS, FOX, NBC, ESPN, and DirecTV.

None of these teams are going to fold and go out of business if there is a lockout.

Last edited:
Mindnumbing analysis.

The Bills--I don't know their season ticket holder list--are something like top 10 in attendance. They've had one blackout in the decade I've lived up here. The stadium holds over 80,000 though I think capacity for football is in the 70k range. The tickets are cheap so I'm sure ticket revenue is not in the top 10, more like bottom 10, even if they sell out.

The Toronto deal nets them $10 million a year alone.

The franchise is worth $700 - $800 million.

They're going to fold?

You're saying Ralph Wilson is going to say, I don't need $750 million dollars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes