PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CBA and 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I understand that current CBA calls for 2011 draft.

What other rules apply to the 2011 sweason. For example are UFA rules still in place? Are lockout and strike rules in place?

I'm not an expert, but aren't lockout and strike rules basically just the applicable labor laws? They're not part of the CBA, are they?

In any event, Mawae has been spouting to the media that the players are preparing to be locked out in '10. You know, just getting ready for it. just in case. You can't help noticing that any preparation for the owners locking you out would also be useful if you were to strike... but which way would you phrase it?

Hope they work this out... on the other hand, if he's a scab, I see a 2,000 yard season for Maroney :D

PFnV

Is anyone concerned that our player rep is Brady?

Wouldn't it be better if it was someone other than Brady?

Like someone we could can and nobody would really care.

In any event, Mawae has been spouting to the media that the players are preparing to be locked out in '10. You know, just getting ready for it. just in case.
The only thing Mawae and some other NFL players qualify for is teaching high school gym class. I suppose he has a $5 mil a year job lined up doing just that.

I'm sure the players all have enough money in the bank to go a year or two without income, paying for health insurance, workout facilities, medical stuff, etc that the team take care of now. The NFL isn't going anywhere, so their jobs will be there after the strike. They just have to keep in shape.

I'm sure the players all have enough money in the bank to go a year or two without income, paying for health insurance, workout facilities, medical stuff, etc that the team take care of now. The NFL isn't going anywhere, so their jobs will be there after the strike. They just have to keep in shape.

There are some players you aren't thinking of. The practice squad players specifically. They make at most 100k, which isn't exactly a kings ransom (yes, if they were diligent savers they would Maybe have enough for a year) but this pretty much kills their earning potential.

This affects the most well known athletes the least, and the least well known players the most.

I mean, business is business, and I'm all for the owners doing what they can. Mostly because stronger ownership benefits the Pats quite a bit.

I just wanted to relay the human side of it all.

I'm not an expert, but aren't lockout and strike rules basically just the applicable labor laws? They're not part of the CBA, are they?

In any event, Mawae has been spouting to the media that the players are preparing to be locked out in '10. You know, just getting ready for it. just in case. You can't help noticing that any preparation for the owners locking you out would also be useful if you were to strike... but which way would you phrase it?

Hope they work this out... on the other hand, if he's a scab, I see a 2,000 yard season for Maroney :D

PFnV

One of the things the expiring CBA stipulates is neither side can undertake a work stoppage in 2010. Not sure what the penalty is but I'd guess you'd be on the short end of the legal stick ultimately if you were the group to do so.

One of the most palatable aspects to a new CBA, IMO, is the feature of short-term, capped, rookie contracts. 2-4 yr contracts at tiered pay levels would give teams more security of performance for outlay and would give players two shots (their 2nd and 3rd) at high-value contracts , rather than the one shot they get under current 5-6 yr deals. Now, by the time the 2nd contract plays out, a player is 30-32 yrs old and on the downhill side of his career. a shorter first deal would put the 3rd deal at 28-30 yrs old, with a more productive future. It looks like a win-win, unless you're an agent or union official.

Last edited:

In any event, Mawae has been spouting to the media that the players are preparing to be locked out in '10.
PFnV

No, he has not. Mawae has been talking about 2011.
washingtonpost.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye