PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CB Tory James signed, per Schefter/Clayton/Reiss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Tory James signed, per Schefter

Simultaneous posting!

geez, you guys dont waste any time. Came here to post it and there are two posts already.

That's a quick merge. A+.

Also, I know next-to-nothing about Tory James. Good pickup, or what?

Good vet pickup, and insurance for a Samuel holdout.

Last edited:

TC fodder hopefully.

his overall stats

Year G Total Tkl Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD Pass Def

TOTAL 158 429 379.0 50 1 39 377 9.7 45 0 79

17 ints in the last three seasons

Position: CB
Height: 6-2
Weight: 192
Born: 05/18/1973
College: LSU
NFL Experience: 12

a depth signing, but definitely getting long in the tooth

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/3694

Last edited:
For those of you who missed it...

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=53877

I'll copy my feeling from there:

What's with this negativity? Such would be expected if the Pats were planning on James replacing Samuel, but nothing could be further from the truth.

This is the type of low-risk, high-reward signing the Pats have thrived on. Nobody is asking James to come in and potentially replace Samuel as the leader of the defensive backfield. Hell, nobody is asking James to come in an inherit a starting spot. He won't get big money. There's no risk (unlike Starks, where a draft choice part of the payment).

James will come in as a durable veteran presence. I disagree with A.J. that he will be a back-end roster guy - which would essentially make him inactive every week. In fact, I see James, if signed, getting significant time in sub packages - possibly as more of a FS as some suggest. In many ways, he's on the same level as Chad Scott or Hawkins. A few years ago, he'd be clearly above them.

I also disagree with A.J. insofar as he's not starting caliber. It wouldn't be favorable, but it wouldn't be deplorable either to have Tory James as a starter. The chances of that, though, are slim. Asante or no Asante, the Pats willbe drafting a DB, probably in the 1st or 2nd (if they trade down). James will be in the mix with Scott, the pick (if Asante), and possibly Gay for those 3-5 spots on the depth chart at CB. Again, I'm not saying James will start or could start.

James shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Moreland, Spann, or Poteat. That's what matters.

Well the guy can cause a turnover, he has only one year in his career when he's had less than 4 INT.

Good signing. Low priced, one year deal for a player who fits our style of play. He can start if he has to, but will most likely be depth. Could be one of those guys like Roman Phifer who gets labelled as "lost a step" or "done" who is productive in our system. Then again, he could be a lower risk version of Duane Stark (I bit my tongue when I said that).

This should be like Duane Starks if Starks had played like one of the top 20 corners in the league. James is good and then some. BB will plug him in in just the right situations and he'll do great. I equate him with Seau in current talent level.

Last edited:
Hopefully, he just provides us a depth or at worst nickel coverage. I hope he excels in our system. But I hope we draft a couple of young, talented studs who never get injured.

I love this signing. Low money. Durable. Capable of starting, but not expected to. Whats not to love? I see him playing a lot of nickel and vying for the top back up spot.

I love this signing. Low money. Durable. Capable of starting, but not expected to. Whats not to love? I see him playing a lot of nickel and vying for the top back up spot.
2.7mm according to shefter, thats not cheap, could be the beginning of something with samuel

With his size (6'2"), maybe he could be used to prevent thoe goal line fades to big receivers that Hobbs has trouble with. Speed wouldn't be so much of an issue there. JMO.

2.7mm according to shefter, thats not cheap, could be the beginning of something with samuel

Ummmm....pretty cheap when you consider vet minimum for someone with 10 years of vesting.

Ummmm....pretty cheap when you consider vet minimum for someone with 10 years of vesting.

Not really that cheap considering it would mean we only have about 6-8 million of cap room left after this.

No way.

Thats a ton of money for someone of his calibur.

It's only slightly more than Brady and Morris, and neither of them have been Pro Bowlers.

Just the market these days. Something everyone needs to get used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots