Welcome to PatsFans.com

CB that GB selected with the Pats 2nd Round Pick named Defensive Rookie of the Month

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by JMC00, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMC00

JMC00 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +831 / 15 / -12

2. BritPat

BritPat In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +219 / 4 / -3

#54 Jersey

A lot of us in the draft forum liked him coming out.

3. nekromantique

nekromantique On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

yeah...I liked him. I also likes janoris jenkins. both have played well (despite what the recent rams game would say about jenkins).

dennard has worked out well though. ebner is a solid st player who shows good instincts on d (though he by no means is ready for play on defense).

and bequette adds depth.

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

4. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,321 / 2 / -4

It's a little too early to give up on Jake Bequette - prospects develop at different rates. But Heyward was certainly on the list of potential prospects to consider at 62.

If the Pats could somehow have found a way of taking Heyward and still getting Dennard and Ebner, that would have been a pretty nice haul. Assuming that Chung and Arrington are probably in their last year and McCourty is staying at safety, McCourty-Wilson-Gregory-Ebner at safety and Heyward-Dennard-Dowling-Cole (if Dowling can ever stay on the field) at CB wouldn't be a bad young nucleus.

5. Gumby

Gumby 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0

#11 Jersey

the one that got away is ALWAYS the BIGGEST FISH.

The pats had possibly the best draft in recent memory / last 10 years and you want to complain about one trade that netted 4 guys who are all ON THE TEAM??? where is that palm slap gif?

6. patsfaninpa

patsfaninpa In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +51 / 8 / -3

Dennard might be just as good in the long run.Not to mention Bequette.

7. Teapot

Teapot On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

ey but Ebner `plays rugby.

8. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,321 / 2 / -4

Of course, now that the Pats have traded for Aqib Talib - which I suggested that they do a week or two ago - they have a nucleus of Talib-Dennard-Dowling at CB and McCourty-Wilson-Gregory-Ebner at safety, assuming that Chung moves on after this season at the latest. That's a nice nucleus. Talib and Dowling (if he can stay healthy) would give the team 6'1" bookend CBs, and both guys plus Dennard are physical CBs who can play press/man coverage.

The secondary is shaping up. I can live without Casey Heyward.

9. Rossmci90

Rossmci90 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I didn't really like the trades at the time, didn't think the Pats got an even deal.

But I'm happy with Dennard, intrigued about Ebner in the long term, and slightly disappointed in Bequette.

Still way too early to call.

10. I Augustus

I Augustus On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Frankly,I thought Patriots would draft either Mohamed Sanu or Rueben Randale and be done at this point.

11. jsull87

jsull87 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0

This will be very interesting won't it. Talib with McCourty outside could be interesting... but then again McCourty staying at FS seems to have the pats a little more stable deep.

Very interesting times for the Pats and i love it

12. Shockt327

Shockt327 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -2

No offense...

...but haven't we spent the last 2 months talking about how the Pats coaching staff is the huge reason why the secondary is failing? So, you can't have it both ways. If NE drafted Hayward...he wouldn't pan out. Same thing for McCourtey. It's not a lack of talent. It's a lack of coaching.

13. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +290 / 1 / -0

I think the biggest knock on him from the Pats' point of view is that he was a better zone corner than man corner coming out of college, and they would have rather gotten a man corner (like Dennard) who only had to adjust to the NFL rather than a zone corner who had to learn how to play man coverage AND adjust to NFL speed. Good player, but in hindsight I can see why the Pats didn't pick him.

14. Ifleninwasawizard

Ifleninwasawizard On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That is by no means the consensus.

After all, last season the coaching staff picked up guys off the street and were able to get to the SB. Our secondary was awful talent wise, but not bad enough to destroy our chance at winning it all.

This season we have had games with multiple rookie DB's starting. And in all honesty, if the offense had played only a little closer to how good it probably can we could be 8-0 right now.

The coaching staff has made a lot out of a little and shown that it can have an inexperienced D improve over the course of a season. Clearly our DB's have been lacking in talent, experience, or both lately. By the end of the season we should be able to field a group that has more talent and more experience playing as a single group than we have seen in the past few years.

15. captain stone

captain stone Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +232 / 45 / -22

No Jersey Selected

What really pisses me off about that trade is that Cleveland later sends 67 to Denver for 87 & 120.
    Bill traded with Denver for Hightower during the first round, so it's not like he didn't know their
    phone number. GB took him to the cleaners on that one.

And for the hundreth time, dam the Fat Albert & OchoStinko trades; they handcuffed Bill during
    this year's draft, and they'll handcuff him during next year's draft too. We warned him...

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  16. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -4

Bequette has been invisible but Dennard and Ebner look pretty good. The Pats went for quantity and they have 3 players to show for that pick instead of one.

17. RelocatedPatFan

RelocatedPatFan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +70 / 2 / -2

I'm fairly certain we could have fielded the best team in history, no questions asked, if we knew what the players would turn out like 1-3 years later.

18. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ice_Ice_Brady In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +100 / 2 / -1

This is nothing compared to 2006, when the Pats traded UP with the Packers to trade Chad Jackson. The Packers then urinated on the Pats by selecting Greg Jennings in their trade-down slot. I don't even want to look up who else they got- probably Jordy Nelson, John Kuhn, and James Jones all in one pick.

19. Spiral

Spiral PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +31 / 4 / -1

It's also not fair to say that without this trade, we wouldn't have Dennard. He was picked with the 224th pick in the draft. There's a good chance he would have gone undrafted if the Pats didn't take him.

20. PatsFan2

PatsFan2 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +53 / 4 / -5

#87 Jersey

GB has done so well when they Trade with our Pats...i wouldn't Trade with them anymore in the future. Clay Matthews - Greg Jennings and now this kid are you reading this board BB?? NO More Trades with Greenbay in the future.:mad::D

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.