PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CB Positional Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a pipe dream if you think Asomugha will come cheaply. At best he'll take a Randy Moss type deal. IE he gets paid FAIRLY but it's not a capkiller deal. A young guy like him with that type of talent at that position will be able to demand a king's ransom in free agency.

Well, yes. "Cheaply" is a phrase of relativity. So is "fairly", but if you prefer that verbiage, that's fine.

There should still be some decent CBs to be had in free agency, certainly above the O'Neal/Webster/LSanders/Bryant drek. The FO needs to sign 2 of these FAs, and draft 2 more so that Wilhite & Richardson can no longer threaten us with their presense.

Sure, why not! Let's sign two top free agency corners and draft two more in the first two rounds. We'll add them to Hobbs and Wheatley and carry six corners. BTW, if this strategy seems familiar, it is. This was last the strategy for the last offseason. We ended up with Byant, Webster, and L Sanders. They were supposed to be the answer while our rookies developed. Look back; some here thought that Bryant and Webster might start, moving Hobbs to nickel back. We then used a 2nd and a 4th to draft corners. If only pioli were as good as captian stone and could evaluate players as well!

The reality is that it is not at all certain that some decent corners will be available that aren't injured, greatly overpriced or over the hill. It is not at all clear that top corners can be identified in the draft before they are greatly overpaid.

Corners are important, but IMHO corners are the riskiest way to use lots of free agent money or top draft choices.

There should still be some decent CBs to be had in free agency, certainly above the O'Neal/Webster/LSanders/Bryant drek. The FO needs to sign 2 of these FAs, and draft 2 more so that Wilhite & Richardson can no longer threaten us with their presense.

Corners are important, but IMHO corners are the riskiest way to use lots of free agent money or top draft choices.

Well I suppose we could draft 7 guards and that would be a pretty safe draft... but how would that help us?

In a draft you evaluate what players you like, you identify your needs, and then when your pick comes up if your evaluation intersects with your need hopefully you just got a great match. Risk by position is an irrelevant method of evaluation. The only risks that raise a red flag to me are A. Health and B. Character. You can't say, well we sure as hell need an OLB but its too risky to project one to our system so we can't ever draft one. Or we're bleeding at corner on 3rd downs, but it's too risky so we just can't draft one that early!

That's not how you build a team and that's certainly not how you win. Hell, perhaps the riskiest position to draft is QB, but teams keep drafting them anyways!? Why, because if you get a GOOD one, that's how you WIN.

PS If you can't get them in free agency and you can't get them in the draft, how the hell are you supposed to get them? LOL.

Last edited:
1) Sure, why not! Let's sign two top free agency corners and draft two more in the first two rounds. We'll add them to Hobbs and Wheatley and carry six corners.

They don't have to be the top FAs at CB, just a level - or 2 - better than those signed for this season. And what's wrong with 6 CBs?

2) BTW, if this strategy seems familiar, it is. This was last the strategy for the last offseason. We ended up with Byant, Webster, and L Sanders. They were supposed to be the answer while our rookies developed.

The strategy was correct in theory, but dead wrong in execution.

3) Look back; some here thought that Bryant and Webster might start, moving Hobbs to nickel back. We then used a 2nd and a 4th to draft corners.

And others thought - correctly - that Bryant & Webster might not even make the team.

4) If only pioli were as good as captian stone and could evaluate players as well!

If only Pioli were better than he has been lately.

The reality is that it is not at all certain that some decent corners will be available that aren't injured, greatly overpriced or over the hill. It is not at all clear that top corners can be identified in the draft before they are greatly overpaid.

The reality is that our Secondary is a mess and needs an almost total off-season overhaul. The only ones who should be locks to return are Hobbs, Wheatley & Meriweather. The FO needs to mine all sources - top 100s, 2nd days, UDFAs & UFAs - to acquire what we so desperately need, and to mine those sources better than it has recently.

The reality is that our Secondary is a mess and needs an almost total off-season overhaul. The only ones who should be locks to return are Hobbs, Wheatley & Meriweather. The FO needs to mine all sources - top 100s, 2nd days, UDFAs & UFAs - to acquire what we so desperately need, and to mine those sources better than it has recently.

I have to agree with you. However, I think we can break the bank for Asomugha, either as a FA or trade, and draft a CB like Burnett in the 3rd round (provided he runs well and has a great 3 cone time) and still find some quality safeties with a wart or two in the later rounds.

It would be wonderful if Asomugha's agent had required the Raiders to agree not to tag him again, much like we did with Asante, but I don't think that happened.

In hindsight, I really wish we hadn't given Asante that leverage. We could've tag and traded him this year.

I'd probably give up a late 1st rounder + a couple mid rounders and a big contract to get Asomugha. He's that good, and he's one of the few players out there - college or pro - who could come in and take the defense to another level. Ideally, we can tag use Cassel as a chip to get another 1st rounder. I'd love for this to happen. Don't think it will.

Best case, I think we wait a year to get a chance at Asomugha. In the week leading up to the Raiders game next Sunday, we'll get to hear BB talk about him - wouldn't surprise me if BB has a man-crush for him like he does Ed Reed. Also wouldn't surprise me if Asomugha is a guy like AD that BB has a target on and will break the bank for.

Last edited:

For the past couple of years, the front office has brought in
a bunch of washed up castoffs as free agents. This year
they drafted two cornerbacks but the jury is still out on
Wheatley and Wilhite.

I believe that the Pats should address the cornerback situation just
like you describe above. Bring in several cornerbacks, find the ones
that can play the position, and cut the rest.

The Pats were highly successful this year rebuilding their linebacking
corps. Next year they should do the same with the cornerbacks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back