PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CB Kareem Jackson's deal with Texans

patsinthesnow

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
@taniaganguli: RT @AdamSchefter: Texans take one of the top CBs off the market, reaching agreement with Kareem Jackson on 4-year deal, per source.

@taniaganguli: Jackson's deal includes $20 million in guarantees. #Texans

@taniaganguli: Kareem Jackson's deal is worth $8.5 million, per year. Great for him. #Texans

4 years 34 million 20 million guarenteed

Uhhh......?

59% of the contract is guaranteed?

That seems kind of low to me honestly. He is no Revis but he is a legit #1 CB.

Probably could have got closer to 9.5M if he wanted. I know he has the guaranteed money but the overall per year amount is smaller than i think it should have been and he is giving them his 4 prime years.

This tells me Flowers/Cromartie might each be under 10M/year.

59% of the contract is guaranteed?
I think thats the future in contracts, only way you can keep salary Down just a Little - Without Guarantees it would be closer toward 4/40

Good young CB. Real consistent. Good tackler. Active. Not a ballhawk but clearly BOBs kind of guy.

How this impacts Revis? 4 years younger skews it. Lots of guaranteed money. Someone must have been bidding.

Last edited:
I was thinking that too. If Revis is willing to do the same give him 70% guaranteed money.

So Revis is $12AAR $25-28m guaranteed?

I doubt it's that low. He is going to want to be the highest paid CB at least in some way. Either guaranteed money or per year average or something kind of accounting trick.

If we get Revis for anything less than 14M/year i will be very surprised. Even though this might show the market is down this year he is probably going to just go straight to the highest paid guys at his position.

That seems kind of low to me honestly. He is no Revis but he is a legit #1 CB.

Probably could have got closer to 9.5M if he wanted. I know he has the guaranteed money but the overall per year amount is smaller than i think it should have been and he is giving them his 4 prime years.

This tells me Flowers/Cromartie might each be under 10M/year.

I honestly didn't know this kid's game. If he's a legit young #1 CB than it's a good deal.

This deal could lead to Maxwell/Flowers/Cromartie to double digits per year though. If we lose Revis it looks like we'll have to roll with what we have and hope Butler steps it up.

I honestly didn't know this kid's game. If he's a legit young #1 CB than it's a good deal.

This deal could lead to Maxwell/Flowers/Cromartie to double digits per year though. If we lose Revis it looks like we'll have to roll with what we have and hope Butler steps it up.

He is pretty good but not great. He is probably between the 15th-25th best CB in the NFL I'd guess but i am no authority.

Good deal for Kareem; if we didn't know already CB is going to be an agents market this year. He is an up and coming Cb; hopefully for Houston whatever they see in him keeps improving.
Personally, now the only way I see Revis staying is with a long >80% guaranteed contract that he can at least say has the largest guaranteed money. Either that or one or both of the tigers' change their stripes; but to me they are both too long in the tooth dogs with regard to the business side of the game for that to happen. Maybe we should be happy for the Jets to pay him $50+ mill and grab the tampering pick even bozo 'Roger' might be forced to give, especially if there is any smell of conspiracy around his slightly 'under-inflated' juggling balls.

I would not be happy with that tampering pick if it wasnt a harsh one. Meaning their first rounder.

I think Jackson's deal is a good barometer for McCourty, who was taken 7 picks later in the 2010 draft.

geez, if we lose revis then who is the replacement? asante samuel?:D

His first good year from what I've read. Crennel putting him in a position to succeed? Better coaching? Or just one rare good year and will be back to being mediocre?

I think Jackson's deal is a good barometer for McCourty, who was taken 7 picks later in the 2010 draft.

I agree, big issue is it looks like we might end up in a bidding war with two teams who have the cap space (Colts, Eagles) to make everyone bleed. Common sense goes out of the window in those situations.

Also wouldn't be surprised if our offer is closer to 7.5 APY. Since the franchise tag was 9.5, I'd be surprised if they let their "leader of the secondary" hit the open market over a difference of 1m.

geez, if we lose revis then who is the replacement? asante samuel?:D

Sadly flowers and the chargers are reportedly close to a deal.

Potentially No real top corner option left available to replace revis. Time for bb and Kraft to pony up some cash.

Ps: this is why I see peters as a possible choice if we pick a player at 32.

If we lose Revis it looks like we'll have to roll with what we have and hope Butler steps it up.

Sadly flowers and the chargers are reportedly close to a deal.

Potentially No real top corner option left available to replace revis. Time for bb and Kraft to pony up some cash.

Ps: this is why I see peters as a possible choice if we pick a player at 32.

I agree with this thinking, although like many others, I still believe that we'll be retaining Revis.

In my opinion, the contingency plan would indeed be using our own in-house replacements, with the possibility of an additional new draft pick thrown into the mix.

Browner on one side, with some combination of Butler, Dennard, Arrington, and Ryan would still be "enough" to try and build a halfway competitive CB corp around, especially if a high round draft pick is thrown in. Unfortunately, it also means that we'd lose Revis--which has its own obvious drawbacks.

I agree with this thinking, although like many others, I still believe that we'll be retaining Revis.

In my opinion, the contingency plan would indeed be using our own in-house replacements, with the possibility of an additional new draft pick thrown into the mix.

Browner on one side, with some combination of Butler, Dennard, Arrington, and Ryan would still be "enough" to try and build a halfway competitive CB corp around, especially if a high round draft pick is thrown in. Unfortunately, it also means that we'd lose Revis--which has its own obvious drawbacks.
If it comes down to a Revis or McCourty decision I'd rather lose McCourty, extend Revis and bring in Tyvon Branch working a combo at FS/SS.

If it comes down to a Revis or McCourty decision I'd rather lose McCourty, extend Revis and bring in Tyvon Branch.

I'm with you. I'd much rather lose McCourty than Revis, and I also believe that something of an argument could be made (right or wrong) that Revis certainly helps to offset some of the loss from seeing McCourty walk away.

As far as Tyvon Branch goes, I'm not as certain on that one myself--so I'd defer to the greatest coach of all time ;)

Either way, losing DMcC would suck, but it's possible that Harmon/Wilson or a replacement via free agency/draft wouldn't be quite as bad as we think.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back