Not open for further replies.

PatsFan2

Hall of Fame Poster
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Discuss...

Last edited:
Re: CB:Darius Butler Looks more comfortable playing Nickel Back

I was really happy to see him play and to see how high his snap count was.

I hope this continues as long as he can continue to progress.

I really do wonder how much of his early struggles were with comfort levels, playing the right side after playing only the left side his rookie season.

I think several people have already mentioned how he might be better suited handling slot receivers because of his speed and quickness. But I think he's made some big strides since that week 2 loss to the Jets.

It's only one game, and he wasn't perfect or anything. But if he could take on the nickel role especially with Bodden coming back, that'd be great, and he'd basically be a starter at that point with how often we play that package. If he continues to develop though, he could challenge Bodden for that spot.

I was dissapointed when he lost the starting job in the begginning of the season. I was afraid it might be an attitude issue effecting his preperation and play. He's a fast twitch guy that on paper was a first rounder and I expected big things from him this year.

Anyways I am gladd to see it coming together for him and the team. The team clearly needs him to play well!

I agree, he looked much better in the slot, I hope we see more of it.

On the "Prime U" show he was laused for the "hip action" seen in the cone drills, turn your hip running drills.....ect so that seems to suit slot receivers.

Besides in today's NFL, you really need 4 starting CB's or two really good cover safeties.

Being a starter is only applicable on the first play and at contract time.

THis guy needs to be on the slot. he seems to be better covering a welker type more than a tate type

Being a starter is only applicable on the first play and at contract time.

And not even the first play for NEP. I am pretty sure I have caught the TV a couple of times when they did the Patriots "starting lineup" naming one or two guys who was no in fact on the field for the first snap missing guys who was, cause we started the game in a sub package.

And not even the first play for NEP. I am pretty sure I have caught the TV a couple of times when they did the Patriots "starting lineup" naming one or two guys who was no in fact on the field for the first snap missing guys who was, cause we started the game in a sub package.

Very True :confused:

Another interesting part of the "Prime U" show was Butler was not ready to bench press. In the segment, the coach told Butler that not being prepared told him something.

Maybe he needs to get stronger to elevate his game against bigger, more physical receivers? It seemed he started cheating or trying to use his fluidity in the first couple of games.

Very True :confused:

Another interesting part of the "Prime U" show was Butler was not ready to bench press. In the segment, the coach told Butler that not being prepared told him something.

Maybe he needs to get stronger to elevate his game against bigger, more physical receivers? It seemed he started cheating or trying to use his fluidity in the first couple of games.
I agree, he needs to spend his offseason bulking up a bit and working on his tackling. That was embarrassing watching LdT run him over.

THis guy needs to be on the slot. he seems to be better covering a welker type more than a tate type

Yeah i take back what i said about him...some CB's excell in that role. Slot WR's are also a big part of some Teams Offense *coughs* ie...the N.E. Patriots.:D If he's going up against a guy like Wes Welker in practice that's only going to help Darius Butler get better.

Some guys just fall short when expected to be The Man, but excel in a role in support of The Man.

Butler might have found his ideal role, and that's good news for our guys.

I have no issue with having Butler lined up in the slot. It's no disrespect to him at all. This is a copycat league and I expect more teams to emulate the Pats offense in the future. In that event, having a good slot corner is going to pay some dividends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes