PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CB Champ Bailey available as FA (update: Broncos sign to 4-yr contract)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBronxPats14

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
According to Pro Sports Daily Rumors, Champ Bailey put his house up for sale. With wear & tear and his age imo he still has some gas left in his tank plus experience. Do you think Pats should consider taking a look at him?
Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: CHAMP......ions Thoughts?

If they can get him fairly cheap, would happily see him on the team as a player and to help coach the others further.

If he and Denver are fighting over guaranteed $$$ as reported, I doubt he is interested in playing anywhere cheap.

Champ made $13M last season in the final season of his once record setting 7 year $63M deal. And while he basically earned his $9M AAV deal he's 32 in June and while he says he wants to play until he's 40, good luck with that at his position. He's not coming here on a vet minimum deal and with Bodden returning where would you play him at much more than that?? Safety? He says he's willing to try that to extend his career, but he's not talking about that this season and he wouldn't take S $$$ any time soon, either. And with a cap coming back it's not like you could cut or flip Bodden to clear roster/cap space. Bodden's dead cap would be $4.5M.

The Pats need to somehow hit on another good CB in this draft.

Another Samuel, low cost salary and draft pick wise with an upside.

I like what PatsfanPittsburgh said "you need 4 starting CBs in this passing league and your 5th DB should be better than their 5th WR"

If he and Denver are fighting over guaranteed $$$ as reported, I doubt he is interested in playing anywhere cheap.

Champ made $13M last season in the final season of his once record setting 7 year $63M deal. And while he basically earned his $9M AAV deal he's 32 in June and while he says he wants to play until he's 40, good luck with that at his position. He's not coming here on a vet minimum deal and with Bodden returning where would you play him at much more than that?? Safety? He says he's willing to try that to extend his career, but he's not talking about that this season and he wouldn't take S $$$ any time soon, either. And with a cap coming back it's not like you could cut or flip Bodden to clear roster/cap space. Bodden's dead cap would be $4.5M.

Great points! I wasn't sure on specifics of his contract. Would be interesting to see his worth in open market and who could afford him under their cap.

at this point? no
BB clearly is looking to make this team younger and has accomplished that, champ would just muck everything up for guys like leigh and butler

at this point? no
BB clearly is looking to make this team younger and has accomplished that, champ would just muck everything up for guys like leigh and butler

BB is trying to make the team better, which doesn't exclude signing a vet he thinks can help. That being said, I agree with the others who say Champ won't be signing at a significant discount, and thus is likely not worth signing here with Leigh coming back.

of course not breaking the bank.. It seems like a natural fit.. We add some experience to a backfield that has little of it..

Never hurts to add talent at the CB position

Come on people. Some team, with a far greater need at CB experience, will pay Bailey much more than the pats would be willing to spend having Devin and Leigh starting next year.

of course not breaking the bank.. It seems like a natural fit.. We add some experience to a backfield that has little of it..

Never hurts to add talent at the CB position

This is a no brainer. Heck yes. Champ still has another good 3 years left IMO. If we can't get Asomugha I'd take Champ in a heartbeat.

If we can't get Asomugha I'd take Champ in a heartbeat.

Haven't you heard? The Jets are going to sign them both.

:rofl:

I think that Champ is going to be 33 years old and is asking for a lot of money. That's not a combination that gets cornerbacks (or safeties) signed in New England.

like others have said the money he wants and he's age not going to happen, im ok with the pats drafting a CB but i dont think they need to over pay for any vets this team is going young and i love it

When I read this, I thought (in an ideal situation,) we sign him and move him to FS and trade Meriweather for a pick this year or next (3rd or 4th I was thinking). Then we'd have an excellent cover guy playing FS alongside Chung. They could really complement each other, and if we wanted to, we could move him to CB sometimes and have Sanders come in at safety. Imagine trying to throw against Bodden, McCourty, AND Bailey.

That's just a thought. I really think its a stretch, but I'd be all for it if it was possible and reasonable

Re: CB Champ Bailey available as FA - Thoughts?

Cross Champ Bailey off your list of potential free agents.

Twitter - John Elway

We are thrilled to announce that the Broncos have agreed to terms on a new four-year contract with cornerback Champ Bailey.

Cross Champ Bailey off your list of potential free agents.

Twitter - John Elway

4 year deal for a CB who will be 33 next year?

Looks like Elway has been away from the game a bit too long.

I believe that Bailey's talked about transitioning to safety. It'll be interesting to see whether or not the contract appears to take such an action into account.

4 year deal for a CB who will be 33 next year?

Looks like Elway has been away from the game a bit too long.

Denver has some PR issues heading into whatever happens in 2011. Nobody in the building knows whether or not they have a viable QB on the roster. I guess they want the popular probowl CB to hang around to help keep the natives quiet. That's why they brought Elway in too. And the redtread Fox. Besides the most they guaranteed him is likely two years. It's only money, Bowlen is already paying 3 HC's and a legend in 2011... At least Champ can still play some.

The team and its star left cornerback reached an agreement today on a four-year, $43 million contract.

Read more: Broncos re-sign Champ Bailey to four-year contract for $43 million

Bailey, who turns 33 in June, took a pay cut to stay. He will make a guaranteed $11 million this season, or $2 million less than the $13 million he made in 2010.

"The commitment and loyalty that Champ has shown to the Broncos, the city of Denver and this region is exemplary," stated John Elway, the Broncos' vice president of football operations, on Twitter.

Bailey also has $4 million of his 2012 money guaranteed for a total guarantee of $15 million.

Read more: Broncos re-sign Champ Bailey to four-year contract for $43 million - The Denver Post Broncos re-sign Champ Bailey to four-year contract for $43 million - The Denver Post
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: Terms of Use - The Denver Post

Well, unless the deal is really structured as a two year deal, Elway must be trying to kill the franchise in a hurry.

Last edited:
Well, unless the deal is really structured as a two year deal, Elway must be trying to kill the franchise in a hurry.

What the HELL????? Are they out of their minds? This is worse than an Al Davis type of move. So many things wrong with this.

This could crush the Nmandi Asomugha dream. Thats the max I would of offered to him, and hes the best CB in the league his prime. Hell get an insane contract...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing