CB Carlos Rogers should be available

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Redskins by Position: The Cornerbacks - Redskins Insider

Looks like he'll be moving on to a team willing to trade a #2 or #3 and give him a good size contract. Should be an option for us depending on the latter.

Breer made an interesting point last night - in 2006 we tried going cheap at WR, didn't get it done on the field then went out and fixed the problem. In 2008 we tried going cheap at DB and didn't get it don't on the field. Will they go out and get this fixed the same way ?

Looks like he'll be moving on to a team willing to trade a #2 or #3 and give him a good size contract. Should be an option for us depending on the latter.

Breer made an interesting point last night - in 2006 we tried going cheap at WR, didn't get it done on the field then went out and fixed the problem. In 2008 we tried going cheap at DB and didn't get it don't on the field. Will they go out and get this fixed the same way ?

That's always been what I've thought they do. It has the same feel to it. Though I don't really think they thought they could get away with the secondary they had, just that better and more sensible solutions would present themselves next year. In that case, you take your lumps for one year, hope you can win despite it (which at the time we had Brady and a healthy front seven that was among the best in the league).

It's quality, not quantity.

Think back to Week 1 of 2005. Tyrone Poole, Duane Starks, Asante Samuel, Randall Gay, Chad Scott, and a rookie Ellis Hobbs were all on the roster. By Week 17 of 2005, Starks, Poole, Gay, and Scott were all on IR (which was probably a good thing in Starks' case), and Samuel was out for that week, leaving Hobbs and a signed-off-the-street Poteat to start with Bam Childress at nickel back.

In 2003 and 2004, the Pats carried less true corners - just Law, Poole03/Gay04, and Samuel. Moreland and Poteat came in when injuries occurred. Even at safety there was a lot of depth, just special teamers - Akins, Cherry, A. Harris, Mayer, Reid, G. Scott. Yet that secondary was much better, especially in 2003 - because of the superb play of Rodney and Law, and the performances of Poole and Wilson. The Pats do not have a Rodney or a Law-caliber player in this secondary anymore.

Last edited:
It's quality, not quantity.
A Rogers type plus Hobbs with Wheatley and Wilhite is a decent group. I'd also draft another as Hobbs will likely find his fortune elsewhere in 2010.

I still feel a huge part of the problem is the pass rush made those (Moreland, Poteat, Gay, etc.) look like pro bowlers. You never see the Bruschi up the middle hurdle the OL to get to the QB. Sure, Bruschi has lost a step but Mayo could have done that. Bring back the days of a younger Willie Mac!

A Rogers type plus Hobbs with Wheatley and Wilhite is a decent group. I'd also draft another as Hobbs will likely find his fortune elsewhere in 2010.

Only if Meriweather can step it up another notch.

Think back to 2006 and 2007. Asante was near or at the level of a Law, but the secondary still wasn't great because he could only cover a part of the field; you still need an elite presence somewhere else in that secondary, be it a corner or safety. Because in 2006, it was Hobbs, Hawkins (after Rodney went down twice), and Wilson. In 2007, it was Hobbs, Sanders, and Rodney - but not the Rodney of old.

A group with Rogers, Hobbs, Wheatley, and Wilhite is a decent group, but I'm not convinced that a) Rogers is that much better a CB than the others or b) There is adequate help in the secondary. I'd still really like to see a safety brought in alongside Meriweather, and if the money is right, have J. Sanders be re-signed as a pretty good backup to both positions.

I still feel a huge part of the problem is the pass rush made those (Moreland, Poteat, Gay, etc.) look like pro bowlers. You never see the Bruschi up the middle hurdle the OL to get to the QB. Sure, Bruschi has lost a step but Mayo could have done that. Bring back the days of a younger Willie Mac!

That, along with coaching, are the other two areas for improvement, but I feel directly upgrading the secondary personnel is the first course of action.

A group with Rogers, Hobbs, Wheatley, and Wilhite is a decent group, but I'm not convinced that a) Rogers is that much better a CB than the others or b) There is adequate help in the secondary. I'd still really like to see a safety brought in alongside Meriweather, and if the money is right, have J. Sanders be re-signed as a pretty good backup to both positions.
You may be fine going into next year with Hobbs, Wheatley, Wilhite, Richardson and a JAG free agent but I'm not. We need another good talent there. I agree at Safety, though, I'd be willing to fork over another #1 for a top Safety if the value was right.

Won't having a really good CB help free up a man on defense. I keep thinking back to Pittsburgh's defense where they are so aggressive with their LB's and safeties and don't seem to get burnt. Is this due to having exceptional corners?

You may be fine going into next year with Hobbs, Wheatley, Wilhite, Richardson and a JAG free agent but I'm not. We need another good talent there. I agree at Safety, though, I'd be willing to fork over another #1 for a top Safety if the value was right.

That's exactly what I said...you said Rogers w/ Hobbs/Wheatley/Wilhite was a decent group, and I agreed with you, but said it could better. I never said a Rogers-less group would be fine.

That's exactly what I said...you said Rogers w/ Hobbs/Wheatley/Wilhite was a decent group, and I agreed with you, but said it could better. I never said a Rogers-less group would be fine.

I must have misinterpreted this :

but I'm not convinced that a) Rogers is that much better a CB than the others

but right now I think Rogers compared to Wheatley or Wilhite is a damn big upgrade.

It's quality, not quantity...The Pats do not have a Rodney or a Law-caliber player in this secondary anymore.

That's really the key. People have bashed Hobbs and the rest of the secondary, but the reality is that it's not their limitations as much as it is the complete absence of the HOF/"big time" type of player that the team has had back there for most of BB's tenure.

Put Ed Reed in that secondary, and suddenly the rest of the secondary would look much better.

Put Ed Reed in that secondary, and suddenly the rest of the secondary would look much better.
Yeah we know that. But right now Wilhite and Wheatley are our #2 and #3 CB in some order. For a team that should be a SB favorite, I am not satisfied with that, with or without Ed Reed. And I'm betting Belichick isn't either.

That's really the key. People have bashed Hobbs and the rest of the secondary, but the reality is that it's not their limitations as much as it is the complete absence of the HOF/"big time" type of player that the team has had back there for most of BB's tenure.

I heard Schefter a few weeks ago talk about the Pats maybe looking at FA Dunta Robinson. Might be interesting and they wouldn't have to give anything up.

I must have misinterpreted this :

but right now I think Rogers compared to Wheatley or Wilhite is a damn big upgrade.

I liked what I saw out of Wilhite, and I think Wheatley has the potential to be pretty damn good. I just don't think that Rogers is good enough to be that high-caliber player I was talking about.

Last edited:
I heard Schefter a few weeks ago talk about the Pats maybe looking at FA Dunta Robinson. Might be interesting and they wouldn't have to give anything up.

Robinson would be nice if he's willing to be coached, and I've mentioned him as a possibility in the past, but this team really needs an intimidating presence at safety. I like Sanders as part of a 3 safety rotation, and I like Meriweather (as a free safety more than a strong safety), but I don't think they make opponents sweat. One of the reasons teams are having success against this pass defense is that the fear of going over the middle is gone. The rookie linebackers aren't great cover linebackers to date, and neither is a big hitter in pass coverage. Add that in with a pretty soft hitting safety duo, and you get opponents who have no problem taking the middle of the field for themselves.

I don't expect that BB would waste a draft pick just to bring in Rogers. I do think he'd give one up to get a hard hitting strong safety.

The good news is that, even with all the 'disappointment' people have expressed in this team's defense, the team was still in the top 8 in both offense and defense. The bad news is that we don't know how much of that is just due to a soft schedule.

A safety duo of Meriweather with Taylor Mays or William Moore would be something to see.

As a matter of fact Mayo was doing that.
He looked real good doing it, too.
I believe he got at least one sack.

Having watched alot of Skins games-his only drawback is that his hands are made of stone(can't even catch a cold). Otherwise-he's a very good, albeit underrated cover corner. If anything-I would describe him as someone OPPOSITE of Asante Samuels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes