CB Brian Kelly voided by Bucs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPF

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Kelly hits FA with a $500K buyout.

http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/3911

Kelly is a solid CB. Good quickness but not a burner. He is a physical and tough. Plays well in zone coverage and has good reaction skills to break on ball to either pick it or make a tackle. Lacks top end speed and thus is better suited as a zone guy vs man-to-man. He has good hands and he is above average vs the run. Kelly is a solid starting CB but was injured some in 2006/2007. If the price is right and with Asante most likely gone I wouldn't mind seeing the Pats go after Kelly. Couple that with a trade for Lito Sheppard and we can possibly get two CB's for the price of signing Asante.

Career stats: http://www.nfl.com/players/briankelly/profile?id=KEL509580

Thoughts??

Re: CB Brian Kelly

interesting then we could draft Gholston and also trade for huff it has merit.

interesting then we could draft Gholston and also trade for huff it has merit.

Purely speculation but I'll take this kind of talk over "spygate" crap.

Last edited:

He's a Tampa 2 corner, which makes me extremely wary. Look at how Harper and Davids fared last year after leaving the Colts. That scheme is very forgiving for CBs, while the Patriots' isn't.

He was available a few years ago and the Patriots didn't go anywhere near him.

He's a Tampa 2 corner, which makes me extremely wary. Look at how Harper and Davids fared last year after leaving the Colts. That scheme is very forgiving for CBs, while the Patriots' isn't.

Much better player and athlete than those two but if you are right that means he could wind up in Detroit with his former DB coach in Tampa.

I agree. A guy like Kelly is tough to figure out. In the Tampa 2 defense, cornerbacks are role players more than they are playmakers. I wouldnot expect a guy like Kelly to come in and excel in a system that would expect him to be a physical presence.

I agree. A guy like Kelly is tough to figure out. In the Tampa 2 defense, cornerbacks are role players more than they are playmakers. I wouldnot expect a guy like Kelly to come in and excel in a system that would expect him to be a physical presence.
Tampa 2 asks the corners to be very physical. It's their job to set the corner on stretch runs and deny the sticks to receivers on short passes. It's why Dré Bly washed out in Detroit.

He's no good to the Pats if he's not good at playing the ball in a deep zone.

Pats were interested in him, but I think if Ty Law is cut, we could see a 24 reunion..

I'd prefer Bryant. I guess at this point, with Randall Gay and Ellis Hobbs as your starters, anything would seem to be an improvement.

I'd prefer Bryant. I guess at this point, with Randall Gay and Ellis Hobbs as your starters, anything would seem to be an improvement.

Seemed good enough in 2004.

Pats need to load up on CB and see what shakes out.

Much better player and athlete than those two but if you are right that means he could wind up in Detroit with his former DB coach in Tampa.

Primetime looks like you were right on, Tampa 2 team it is for Kelly.

http://rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

Brian Kelly-DB-Lions Mar. 8 - 3:55 pm et
NFL Network's Adam Shefter reports that the Lions have reached agreement with free agent cornerback Brian Kelly on a three-year contract. Terms were not disclosed.

Lions head coach Rod Marinelli lands another former Buccaneer as the team continues its shift towards a Cover Two defense. Kelly, who lost his starting job in Tampa last season, will likely compete with Keith Smith to start opposite Leigh Bodden in a revamped Lions secondary.

Source:
Related: Travis Fisher, Keith Smith

Well, that was quick! I would have been worried about giving out a 3 year contract to a guy that hasn't managed to stay healthy the last 2 years anyhows, so it's no big loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes