PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CB Brandon Browner signs with New Orleans Saints

Status
Not open for further replies.
They always say a strong front 7 can mask a weaker secondary right?

How is he redundant?
See below.

I think ausbacker simply mispoke, he's not redundant but in theory Browner's skill set requires a player like Revis to succeed, Browner doens't match up all that well 1 on 1, but he is a fantastic bully at the LOS and if you shade some help in his direction he's prefect for a team with a true lock-down #1 corner.

Without that shut down corner it's hard to shade the help to Browners side, making him more of a liability than an asset, so he's expendable.

His skillset is also seemingly limited so if we're switching defensive schemes he loses value with us and a less physical corner with equal or greater coverage skills can easily replace his role.
No, I didn't misspeak. You appropriately responded to @Bobsyouruncle with what has been spoken about (at length) when it become apparent Browner was going to be released. There's not much more I can add to what you responded with.

I have no idea why we let browner go. I'm hesitant to doubt bill because of his track record but we had him under contract. He was a great player. Who are we gone get that's better than him? What's done is done but I wish I could've been a fly on the wall when that decision was made.

Browner is a liability without revis. Even with revis he was a beautiful mess. All those penalties. He is a risk taker and not a good fit if we are playing zone. He didn't get that much more than we would have paid him this year which is evident that BB knew what his value was in the right system and he no longer had that value in our system.

Brandon Browner says goodbye on Twitter:

I'd like to thank The Kraft family, Belichick, Matty P, J. Boyer, and the whole Patriots staff and fans. It was a championship ride.

I'm gonna miss my other binky.

Liked Browner a lot in the Pats uni. Didn't like the way things went down with him but that's the business side I'm not privy to. Glad he got a ring and happy for his better contract as I'm sure he is too. Thanks for your service.

I think ausbacker simply mispoke, he's not redundant but in theory Browner's skill set requires a player like Revis to succeed, Browner doens't match up all that well 1 on 1, but he is a fantastic bully at the LOS and if you shade some help in his direction he's prefect for a team with a true lock-down #1 corner.

Without that shut down corner it's hard to shade the help to Browners side, making him more of a liability than an asset, so he's expendable.

His skillset is also seemingly limited so if we're switching defensive schemes he loses value with us and a less physical corner with equal or greater coverage skills can easily replace his role.

If that was truly the case, Browner would have looked like a pile of **** in 2011 which was the year before Sherman really came into his own. Not sure how many Seahawks games you watched back then, but Browner was actually the best CB on the team *THAT* year.

If that was truly the case, Browner would have looked like a pile of **** in 2011 which was the year before Sherman really came into his own. Not sure how many Seahawks games you watched back then, but Browner was actually the best CB on the team *THAT* year.

Browner was also like 27 instead of 31 then, you're right, I didn't watch a ton of his play then, but I do know that he is a complimentary piece only, a very good one with the right pieces next to him, but on his own I'd imagine he leaves something to be desired.

Browner was also like 27 instead of 31 then, you're right, I didn't watch a ton of his play then, but I do know that he is a complimentary piece only, a very good one with the right pieces next to him, but on his own I'd imagine he leaves something to be desired.

Most CB2's are complimentary pieces. So, instead of just needing a CB1, the Patriots now need a CB1 and possibly a CB2 (unless Dennard rebounds and, even then, he needs his share of safety help).

Most CB2's are complimentary pieces. So, instead of just needing a CB1, the Patriots now need a CB1 and possibly a CB2 (unless Dennard rebounds and, even then, he needs his share of safety help).

I'm not disagreeing but if we don't have a true #1 corner I'm not sure how willing I am to trot out Browner and his 16 penalties in 10 games to be the #1.

I'm not disagreeing but if we don't have a true #1 corner I'm not sure how willing I am to trot out Browner and his 16 penalties in 10 games to be the #1.

You act as if this team has never fielded two #2's before. It's happened. I personally don't want to see it, but it's happened.

But it is what it is. There is still the draft to go on top of some intriguing FA (Culliver) and trade (Lewis) options open to improve the position. On top of that, Dennard will hopefully come back from a down/injury-plagued year and take over the CB2 role again. The Patriots can still field a good defense, but the back end needs some work first.

You act as if this team has never fielded two #2's before. It's happened. I personally don't want to see it, but it's happened.

But it is what it is. There is still the draft to go on top of some intriguing FA (Culliver) and trade (Lewis) options open to improve the position. On top of that, Dennard will hopefully come back from a down/injury-plagued year and take over the CB2 role again. The Patriots can still field a good defense, but the back end needs some work first.

I'm not one who's worried about the defense too much and I know that before we traded for Talib we were doing exactly that, fielding multiple #2 type guys (depending on how you viewed DMC in 2012 at CB).

Bodden, Butler, Wheatley, Arrington, Dowling etc. (Actually most of those aren't even #2's)

Culliver has signed, Lewis is still available in theory. I just don't see us adding a better player to the secondary through FA and not all rookies play like DMC in 2010 at CB or Ryan in 2013.

Like I said though, I'm not worried as much about the defense as others. We'll likely play zone primarily and blitz, I haven't heard us linked to a single CB (not counting Chekwa as a contributor) yet we've heard many Front 7 names. The plan *seems* clear (though it rarely ever is that simple).

I'm not one who's worried about the defense too much and I know that before we traded for Talib we were doing exactly that, fielding multiple #2 type guys (depending on how you viewed DMC in 2012 at CB).

Bodden, Butler, Wheatley, Arrington, Dowling etc. (Actually most of those aren't even #2's)

Culliver has signed, Lewis is still available in theory. I just don't see us adding a better player to the secondary through FA and not all rookies play like DMC in 2010 at CB or Ryan in 2013.

Like I said though, I'm not worried as much about the defense as others. We'll likely play zone primarily and blitz, I haven't heard us linked to a single CB (not counting Chekwa as a contributor) yet we've heard many Front 7 names. The plan *seems* clear (though it rarely ever is that simple).

Thanks for the reminder on Culliver. I had forgotten. Now that Chandler is under contract, maybe we can offer up Wright and a pick for Lewis. Then we can go into the draft maybe looking for a S high and a CB somewhere in the middle rounds. As for reverting back to a mostly zone-based scheme? I'm not wild about it at all. It's basically going back to death by a thousand papercuts that proved to do us in time and time again from 2008-2012. That's the whole reason Belichick brought in Talib and, later, Browner and Revis. That scheme just doesn't work in today's NFL. You have to blend it in with some man to man concepts (with that being the dominant coverage) if they want to repeat.

Thanks for the reminder on Culliver. I had forgotten. Now that Chandler is under contract, maybe we can offer up Wright and a pick for Lewis. Then we can go into the draft maybe looking for a S high and a CB somewhere in the middle rounds.

I'd be fine with that.

I do want to correct something I said about not being as worried with the defense:

My only true fear is that we lineup Arrington outside of the slot like we seem to do so often when those players miss time.

I hope that when it happened during games it was more of a "quick adjustment because he;s ready to go" and not that the team views him as the next best option outside.

I'd be fine with that.

I do want to correct something I said about not being as worried with the defense:

My only true fear is that we lineup Arrington outside of the slot like we seem to do so often when those players miss time.

I hope that when it happened during games it was more of a "quick adjustment because he;s ready to go" and not that the team views him as the next best option outside.

Hopefully there's a move coming through trade, FA, or the draft to add a corner and that won't be an issue outside of a horrific 2004-style rash of injuries.

I still say McCourty will be playing CB this year, with Harmon and Chung as our safeties. I wouldn't be surprised to see Butler taking the CB2 role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes