PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CB Antonio Cromartie to hit trading block...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess Im the only one who doesnt think that highly of Cromartie's '07 season.

Yea INTs are awesome and Cromartie is ridiculously talented but I still dont see him as a consistent coverage corner as some claim. Bad hip or not he is more the play making type than a shutdown corner.

So, you must not be an Asante Samuel fan then :D

Wow, this is another case of the reality of the NFL: Pro Bowl CB in 2007 to very tradeable in 2009 offseason.

I wonder what SD is asking for in return.

Wow, this is another case of the reality of the NFL: Pro Bowl CB in 2007 to very tradeable in 2009 offseason.

I wonder what SD is asking for in return.

Would you trade them back their 2nd round pick in this year's draft for him? I would.

He has one big game against a banged up Colts offense in 2007. He is by far not in Peyton's head.

They were banged up in '08, not '07. They came into the SD game at 7-1 and Peyton threw 6 ints...
Since beginning of 07, the Colts are 1-3 vs SD including two post-season losses. If not Cromartie, the Chargers are in Peyton's head like nobody since the 01-04 Pats..........

Lack of production last year directly related to no pass rush since Merriman was hurt a DBs best friend is a front 7 that can bring heat. Still the injury has me worried.

Fine with that if you're absolutely 100% certain he's not damaged goods. But I can't figure out why SD would be shopping him otherwise. One subpar season should not be enough.
Isn't that how we got ROdney? He played well but one year played with a tron groin muscle and they let him go? Admttedly ROdney was a FA, not a trade, but SD has a history of letting a DB go after one bad season playing with an injury.

Isn't that how we got ROdney? He played well but one year played with a tron groin muscle and they let him go? Admttedly ROdney was a FA, not a trade, but SD has a history of letting a DB go after one bad season playing with an injury.

Rodney was also much older than Cromartie, though your point is well taken.

If I were San Diego, unless they were convinced that Cromartie was damaged goods, the last place I would trade him would be NE.

When teams trade a 1st round pick the next year there is usually a very good reason

I would steer very clear ....

Contracts are expiring for Rivers, Merriman, Marcus McNeil, and Cromartie. The Chargers aren't going to be able to re-sign them all. My guess is that they are just trying to get what they can get now, before they are forced to release him next season and get nothing in return.

Contracts are expiring for Rivers, Merriman, Marcus McNeil, and Cromartie. The Chargers aren't going to be able to re-sign them all. My guess is that they are just trying to get what they can get now, before they are forced to release him next season and get nothing in return.

Very valid point! I don't know the specifics of the Chargers cap situation, but if they're expecting to add on multiple large contracts, it makes a lot of sense that they'd look to gain relief by trading a player like Cromartie and hoping to continue their recent success in the draft.

No way the Chargers trade away with this gem. His stats were just a bit underwhelming last year, so what?

Remember we're in a PASSING league now-no way the Chargers give away ANY of their DBs.

No way the Chargers trade away with this gem. His stats were just a bit underwhelming last year, so what?

Remember we're in a PASSING league now-no way the Chargers give away ANY of their DBs.

I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss this report. The writer does have the pulse of the franchise. He is in essence the Mike Reiss of the Chargers.

I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss this report. The writer does have the pulse of the franchise. He is in essence the Mike Reiss of the Chargers.

Either way-it's stupid. The guy was a high 1st round material that the Chargers ended up stealing rather late in that same 1st round.

I mean why in the world do they want to bring back Drayton "penalty machine" Florence who was cut after 1 year in Jax?

BTW-Parcells really missed the boat in that 2006 draft when he passed over this guy for Bobby Carpenter.

I read this on another board for what's its worth. Maybe nothing.

According to my local sport radio station WDAE 620 in Tampa the Bucs trying to swing a trade for Cromartie they said San Diego is asking for a 3rd round pick.

Latest per Pffft...

The San Diego Chargers intend to hold onto cornerback Antonio Cromartie even if they do re-sign cornerback Drayton Florence, according to Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune.

Although there had been rumors around the league that Cromartie could be placed on the trading block if Florence was acquired, Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith emphasized today that Cromartie remains in the team’s plans.

“He’s not being traded,” Smith told the Union-Tribune.

When asked Monday if he was open to trading Cromartie, Smith was noncommittal on the potential likelihood of such a move one way or the other.

Might also be because the Bills signed Florence...

Last edited:
If I were San Diego, unless they were convinced that Cromartie was damaged goods, the last place I would trade him would be NE.
Yeah, there's always that. I sure wouldn't want the Pats to trade Welker to the Colts!

Chargers GM A.J. Smith disputed a report that CB Antonio Cromartie will go on the trade block if San Diego signs free agent Drayton Florence.

Profootballtalk.com reports that the Bills have signed free agent CB Drayton Florence to a two-year contract.

So this is dead!, also Cromartie was playing with a injured hip all last season.

I read this on another board for what's its worth. Maybe nothing.

According to my local sport radio station WDAE 620 in Tampa the Bucs trying to swing a trade for Cromartie they said San Diego is asking for a 3rd round pick.

Holy crud. Only a 3rd round pick? Well Chargers didn't get the free agent CB they were after so I expect they will hold onto Cromartie now.

Holy crud. Only a 3rd round pick? Well Chargers didn't get the free agent CB they were after so I expect they will hold onto Cromartie now.
if they were after him, he'd be a charger

they simply knew what the bills were offering, he wasn't worth

So, you must not be an Asante Samuel fan then :D

Well of course I am/was a fan of Samuel cause he was a Patriot. But that doesnt mean Im fooling myself into thinking hes a shutdown corner or anything, in fact I see Samuel as a much less physically gifted version of Cromartie.
They both are very aggressive playmaking corners and both that I would love to have here... but only in the correct circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back