Welcome to PatsFans.com

Caucus Day

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by mcgraw_wv, Jan 3, 2012.

1. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Figured I would start a thread to track all the stories which come out today about the Caucus.

From the Ron Paul Campaign, announcements are sweeping Iowa that the Tea Party leadership is going to caucus for Ron Paul tonight, which is huge news. There is a serious quiet confidence in the campaign right now.

There is also a new video out today which shows a Fake "Mitt Romney" endorsing Ron Paul. If you have 12 minutes to spare, watch this: Fake "Mitt Romney" Endorses Ron Paul before Iowa Caucus - YouTube

This is going to be fun watching this unfold, win or lose, supporting RP has been a fun, educational experience that can honestly say, has changed and shaped my poltiics from here on out.

2. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

A quiet confidence that he'll win Iowa or that he'll win the whole thing?

According to an interview with Paul himself he does not "really" see himself in The White House.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politic...ul-see-himself-in-the-oval-office-not-really/

According to some polls he's also lost 4 percentage points in the last few days - which is par for all of the past "flavor of the month" candidates right before they nose-dived into oblivion.

Who is "The Tea Party Leadership," anyhow? Many of the bigger name Tea Party politicians around the US have already come out and endorsed Romney, haven't they? (Nikki Haley, Chris Christie.)

Or are you talking about the local Iowa Tea Party?

3. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Speaking of the Local Tea Party. Quiet Confidence winning tonight... Hence the title of the thread, and post which is to discuss stories about the Iowa Caucus.

Only 1 poll showed him dropping, and that poll does not include independants and Democrats.

Watch the video I linked too, and let me know what you think.

4. Gainzo

Gainzo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -3

#11 Jersey

Is it just me or has Romney become extremely arrogant the last few days? He has pretty much stopped talking about his opponents and gone after Obama. He has convinced himself that he is going to be the GOP nominee.

He is going to win New Hampshire but I expect some very negative ads from his opponents over the next week.

If I was an undecided Iowan I'm not sure I would vote for him after his behaviour the last few days.

5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Ok, sorry. Misunderstood.

That being said, I don't think he's going to win tonight, either.

Maybe he will. I've been wrong before. We'll see.

Are Independants and Democrats caucusing tonight?

I'll probably have to pass on that one. I'm not big on video, to be honest. I much prefer the written to the spoken. It takes more intelligence to write something out coherently and it's easier to study and think on.

Besides, 12 minutes of a fake Mitt Romney? What's the point? If whatever is being said could stand on it's own without the hook of a pretend speaker why not just say it?

If you need a gimmick to get people to listen to you, you're not telling the truth.

The truth generally stands alone without embellishment.

6. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Yes! Anyone can come in and caucus, you can show up, register and caucus.

7. KDPPatsfan85

KDPPatsfan85 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +130 / 3 / -8

#51 Jersey

I think its a smart move to go after Obama. He is the problem. Republicans need to stop bashing eachother and talk about Obama. Romney is starting to do what Gingrich has been doing this whole time and thats talking about Obama!

8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

I agree. He's gotten really rude and extremely arrogant.

And he's blatantly hypocritical. I've seen some of his ads (or the ads from his PAC which I consider the same thing no matter how much he protests, smiling, that he has "no control" over them) and they tend to hammer at Newt's "mistakes" only his "mistakes" were change of hearts - and who's had more "change of hearts" than Mitt who was for almost everything before he was against it?

I'm kinda glad that Newt's dug up the fact that "RomneyCare" as passed by Mitt Romney, had the government paying for abortions and for Planned Parenthood visits. Not that I mind those things but because Mitt is trying to appeal to people who mind those things and he's lying to them about who is is and who he was - exactly what he's accusing Obama and Newt and Perry of doing.

9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Sheesh - what sense does that make? What's to prevent a million hard core dems from coming in, voting for someone they hate because they know Obama can beat him (but maybe not his Republican opponent) and totally skewing the results?

Oh, and BTW, do they need to produce a valid picture ID to cast this causus ballot? You know how Republicans feel about voters without ID. This would be a good place to start - you know, lead by example and all.

:)

10. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

True. but Romney talked enough sh!t about Gingrich that Gingrich has vowed to do nothing but talk sh!t about Romney from here on out - thus creating even more strife in the party.

All of which ends up being good news for Obama and the Dems. By the time the general election comes around all of their dirty work will have been done for them.

11. KDPPatsfan85

Ratings:
    +130 / 3 / -8

#51 Jersey

Everyone knows about Gingrich. We would of found out eventually. Obama isnt helping himself either. The big difference between 2008 and 2012 is that Obama now has a record. As long as the Republicans keep the pressure on Obama, and talk about Obamanomics and his foreign policy, Republicans will be in good shape. I am not liking the Republican picks right now nor do I like Obama's policies either. My goal is to vote Obama out of office. I wish there was a 3rd party candidate that can smoke both obama and the republican nominee! I really wished Chris Christie ran!

12. Gainzo

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -3

#11 Jersey

Newt is an old school Republican. When he entered the race he attacked Obama but not his fellow Republicans. That is the way the GOP used to operate.

During the debates Newt would continually point out that attacking each other isn't a good thing for Republicans.

Romney blew that out of the water and is going to pay for it soon. I have no doubt that the rest of the field is going to attack Romney on Saturday at the NH debate.

13. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

You may be right, KDP. But they won't. You've proved that yourself, time and time again. You've just started another useless OTT thread which proves my point.

Some Republicans can't stay on point - they insist on going off into La-La birther, truther land and it honestly turns at least 3/4ths of the voting population off. It takes away all of your credibility and puts you in the realm of crazed conspiracy nutjob instead of intelligent economic realist.

Careful with that, you know. You may get something or someone much worse. I'd say it would serve you right but I have to live here, too, and I resent anyone who doesn't vote for something but wastes their vote by using it solely to vote against something else with no regard for what might actually happen as a result of their hate-vote.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  14. KDPPatsfan85

Ratings:
    +130 / 3 / -8

#51 Jersey

Let me ask you this, is our country better off now than in 2008? Our economy has gotten worse, there are less jobs and we are more in debt. If you want to know, I like Newt right now. He wants to put in a flat tax of 15% which means even if illegals are in this country, they have to pay taxes. He wants to drop the corporate tax from 35% which is one of the highest in the world to 12.5% which will bring in more companies to the US and more jobs and thats what we want. I think Newt will move to the middle and thats what we need.

15. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

That's true, but it's pretty hard to get someone who's Pro Obama to come out and caucus. Remember, this isn't just voting, this is caucusing, a whole nother beast.

So if Ron Paul can get Dems, and Independents to show up, register Republican and caucus... then that's a message which says he can build a base which can win.

16. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

And I know several Obama supporters here in VA who are talking about registering and voting for Ron Paul in the primary simply because they feel he'd be so much easier to beat in the general election than Romney would. VA has open primaries - anyone can register as anything they want.

It doesn't say a thing about a "base" Paul can build on. It says he's a guaranteed loser in a general election.

17. Gainzo

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -3

#11 Jersey

I keep on hearing the Republicans rip Obama on foreign policy. Why?

18. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Please do, I encourage you too... Please give us the opportunity to run against Obama... We promise not to let you down.

Your right, it will be so easy... you won't even have to campaign hard for Obama... You should vote for Paul too, get all your friends to.

19. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

It's a question without an answer because we have no way of knowing what the alternative reality would have been if he had not won.

I have a feeling we would be much worse off if McCain/Palin had won the election.

Yeah, Newt would be wonderful - if we didn't mind that he's already promised to ignore any court decisions he doesn't, personally, like. Hell, he's even promised to arrest any judges that he doesn't agree with.

Oh yeah, and he'll take my brother-in-law's $12.00 an hour job away and give it to a 9 year old kid so the 9 year old kid can learn a work ethic. Never mind that my brother-in-law already has a work ethic and is supporting a couple of kids on it.

And that tax reform he's talking about? It'll add 1.3 trillion dollars to the debt in 2015 alone. It'll also boost the top 1% after-tax income by 25.5 percent and boost the middle class after-tax income by a whole 3.1 percent.

Sounds wonderful.

Absolutely wonderful.

And the more millions you make, the more wonderful it sounds.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...eep-tax-cuts-for-top-earners-study-finds.html

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  20. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Article from Rick Santorums nephew:
    Ron Paul | Rick Santorum | The trouble with my uncle, Rick Santorum | The Daily Caller